MA Bronze 2 + Rotel RA-06 + Marantz NA-6006

igitz

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking to get new speakers + an amp that I can also use with a turntable that needs preamp.
I got an offer from a store for the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 + Rotel RA-06 amplifier + Marantz NA 6006 network player. I listened to this combination at the store and was quite satisfied. What do you think? I'm reading mixed reviews about the RA-06.

igitz

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
haha ok quite satisfied was an understatement, i'm not a native speaker. Compared to everything else I listened to at the store, they were excellent. They 'quite' is there mainly because the space of a big store with large glass windows was not ideal to make a final decision. The whole set is 1200 eur. Do you think that's reasonable? I've found varying prices for the units online.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If you are set with MA B2 (which is a nice speaker at this price) you could also consider a Yamaha WXA 50 , Marantz Slim AVR or PM 6006+ wxad10 and similar combination etc. and save some money.I doubt any difference in sound quality to the worse.The Marantz NA 6006 is a little bit out of line in this setup and you could upgrade to a better speaker like the Silver Line of MA with the savings if there is a need at all.

gasolin

why a network player ?

Personally i don't get it, spending money on something like that when you just could use your pc (mine is connected to my hifi system) without a network player or a tablet

igitz

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
If you are set with MA B2 (which is a nice speaker at this price) you could also consider a Yamaha WXA 50 , Marantz Slim AVR or PM 6006+ wxad10 and similar combination etc. and save some money.I doubt any difference in sound quality to the worse.The Marantz NA 6006 is a little bit out of line in this setup and you could upgrade to a better speaker like the Silver Line of MA with the savings if there is a need at all.
Thanks for the suggestions, this is really helpful. I will look into them and check what's available at the shop. I'm also considering Amazon but I've had things arrive damaged once so i'm reluctant. Could the PM6006 be an upgrade in sound quality over the Rotel?
Does the 'out of line' comment imply that you usually pair the NA6006 with better speakers?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, this is really helpful. I will look into them and check what's available at the shop. I'm also considering Amazon but I've had things arrive damaged once so i'm reluctant. Could the PM6006 be an upgrade in sound quality over the Rotel?
Does the 'out of line' comment imply that you usually pair the NA6006 with better speakers?

Spending nearly half of your budget on a network streamer without outstanding advantages (except the variable output )in comparison to e.x. suggested alternatives makes imo. not a good deal and match .Thats all.The NA will do the job with every speaker,nothing more and nothing less than other heos based or similar systems like musiccast.

I think you could get more value(new instead used) and quality(better sound with better speakers) with your budget as with the set you had the demo with.

As for a network player i can fully understand spending more money on it if you are in need for a nice display,maybe using the streamer as a pre,dac for other sources ,feeding more than one system,want a hard wired connection ,not to power on your tv,pc or just for the looks etc.,etc...There are a lot of reasons not just to go with a chromecast audio,amazon fire stick or a laptop hooked up to your hifi.

gasolin

Spending nearly half of your budget on a network streamer without outstanding advantages (except the variable output )in comparison to e.x. suggested alternatives makes imo. not a good deal and match .Thats all.The NA will do the job with every speaker,nothing more and nothing less than other heos based or similar systems like musiccast.

I think you could get more value(new instead used) and quality(better sound with better speakers) with your budget as with the set you had the demo with.

As for a network player i can fully understand spending more money on it if you are in need for a nice display,maybe using the streamer as a pre,dac for other sources ,feeding more than one system,want a hard wired connection ,not to power on your tv,pc or just for the looks etc.,etc...There are a lot of reasons not just to go with a chromecast audio,amazon fire stick or a laptop hooked up to your hifi.

Wouldn't a tablet with a audioquest dragonfly work as good or better? (will be cheaper and has a larger display)

igitz

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
@gasolin just to clarify, the Rotel is new. It's just that the options in the shops here are limited (sometimes old stock), plus the prices for newer products are higher than elsewhere.

If i stick with the Bronze 2 (the only upgrade options in that shop would be i guess the Silver 2 which is a lot more expensive or the Bronze 5 - not sure if this is an upgrade as it sounded almost identical) and propose a PM6006+NA6006 combination to go with it, for a similar offer to the one I got now, would that make more of a good deal? Somebody else suggested to find an option that combines amp + network like the Yamaha RN602.
@Esra it's true that since i don't know a lot and this is my first setup of this kind, it's not easy to judge what are the advantages of a network player over another.

Last edited:

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
@gasolin just to clarify, the Rotel is new. It's just that the options in the shops here are limited (sometimes old stock), plus the prices for newer products are higher than elsewhere.

If i stick with the Bronze 2 (the only upgrade options in that shop would be i guess the Silver 2 which is a lot more expensive or the Bronze 5 - not sure if this is an upgrade as it sounded almost identical) and propose a PM6006+NA6006 combination to go with it, for a similar offer to the one I got now, would that make more of a good deal? Somebody else suggested to find an option that combines amp + network like the Yamaha RN602.
@Esra it's true that since i don't know a lot and this is my first setup of this kind, it's not easy to judge what are the advantages of a network player over another.

To be more precise you could try the speakers with for example a Yamaha rn 303d,rn 402d,rn 602,wxa 50,(rn803d) and even with a Marantz slimline 5.1 avr like NR 1509/1510 if possible ,which all should be same or less money than a NA 6006 only (except 803d if not discounted) and should be usually available in your shop as these are entry/mid consumer products . At least a shop should be able to present you one or more alternative/s to make your own findings.

TRENDING THREADS