MA and Arcam

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have Arcam kit paired up with MA RS5's or RS6's? I am in a posiiton where I can get some arcam stuff at trade prices but not sure if it pairs well with the MA kit. Ive auditioned the RS5's and RS6's and loved them both.

Any thoughts??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
yorkydave:
Does anyone have Arcam kit paired up with MA RS5's or RS6's? I am in a posiiton where I can get some arcam stuff at trade prices but not sure if it pairs well with the MA kit. Ive auditioned the RS5's and RS6's and loved them both.

Any thoughts??

I recently sold an Arcam FMJ DV27a dvd player (original price of £2k and many reviewers classed it as good as a £1k cd player). It was connected to my CA 840A and through to my RS6s. Arcam and MA are a match made in heaven. I'm not sure if it's Arcams smooth (some say soul free) sound which counters the RS6s renowned brightness (I don't see them as bright). One thing that will be needed though is a beefy, powerful amp.

A

Anonymous

I've a CD192 through MA GR20s via an MF A3.5 amp which gives a lovely smooth sound IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Arcam has the sonic signature to take the edge off of MA's house sound which some find offensively bright.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of "counter-balancing" the system. For me, it usually becomes "not really good at anything."

I think you should set your musical priorities and find components that more or less rides along that line so it will become more of an issue of "sacrifice,", not "compromise."

If you find the MA's too bright don't try to balance it out. Just find different speakers, and then matching electronics that support the strengths of the speakers. It takes time, but it will happen, eventually.ÿ

A

Anonymous

daveh75:i believe arcam themselves recommend ma speakers with their kit, along with the other usual suspects, b&w,kef...etc

UK manufacturers tend to quote other UK manufacturers - which is a good thing really....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
batonwielder:

I'm not a big fan of "counter-balancing" the system. For me, it usually becomes "not really good at anything."

I think you should set your musical priorities and find components that more or less rides along that line so it will become more of an issue of "sacrifice,", not "compromise."

If you find the MA's too bright don't try to balance it out. Just find different speakers, and then matching electronics that support the strengths of the speakers. It takes time, but it will happen, eventually.

I think you could look at this another way and say that every component has a sonic signature, and some work better with various components than others.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup... I do!

As you can see my system is listed below (Arcam amps; Arcam CDP and M/A RS6 speakers)

EWhen i went o audtion the M/A speakers i had owned B&W speakers and AE speakers before hand but had owned a few amps/CDP combos as well (Rotel/NAD/Marantz) but ALWAYS went back to Arcam and B&W.

To me; the M/A RS6 speakers (from their price bracket and similar speakers - B&W 684s etc) did very, VERY well in the demo; shockingly to me, they beat the B&W 684 speakers as i felt the RS6's gave me the sound that I wanted!

My Arcam Alpha 9 set-up is dated yes but not that old but on todays market; i dont think that there are many systems that can better it unless you fork out £2k plus!

I find that Arcam and M/A RS5/RS6 speakers gel very well together and i listen to a very wide range of music (From Bonzo Dog & Zoot Money to Jethro Tull & Pink Floyd to Hed Kandi and Underworld to Iron Maiden and System of a Down) and all bar the heavy metal (which i feel no system can play well apart from the Technics midi-system at the gym can play well) play very well with lots of fast punchy bass, smooth and well timed midrange and crisp/clear treble.

It amazed me how punchy the RS6 speakers can be as ive always loved B&W for that reason!

A

Anonymous

Dan do you think the a38 amp will sit well with the ma? or are there better amps for less money?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam FMJ A38 amp, IMO, will work very well with the M/A speakers and a decent Arcam amp (CD92, CD192 etc...)

My uncle has recently changed his Arcam Alpha 10 integrated adn power amps to the Arcam FMJ A38 integrated and matching CDP with some M/A RS8 speakers and the synergy is superb.

His listening room is bigger than mine so he didnt have the 'booming' issues i had when i demo'd the RS8s.

I just feel that with the Arcams 'warmth' but solid power; they make the M/A speakers sing as they should! Lots of solid punchy bass thats fast and not muddy; smooth midrange thats well timed and crisp/clear treble that really highlights decent vocals well.

daveh75

i'd also have a look round to see if you can still find an arcam a32 brand new/end of line stock, can be had for 6/700 mark, which is better vfm imo. check lintone's in gateshead for starters they normally have them,

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:i'd also have a look round to see if you can still find an arcam a32 brand new/end of line stock, can be had for 6/700 mark, which is better vfm imo. check lintone's in gateshead for starters they normally have them,

Whole heartedly agree with this comment; the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated is a superb amp and well worth its value!

IMO i'd be going for this over the A38 but would also be on the look out for an Arcam FMJ P35 power amp as well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts