Luxman SQ-N150 vs Mcintosh MA252 vs C8 preamp

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with either of these.

Read a bit about the Mcintosh but not too much in the Luxman. The Luxman on paper only has 10w, the Mcintosh 100w (hybrid setup). I might be comparing apples and oranges here.

How would this go in a larger 5x8m room. Speakers are monitor audio gx100 stand mounts with the option of a rel sub if needed.

Any comments, experience on either would be great.

Also interested in feedback on the Mcintosh C8 preamp with different brand solid state amp experience. This is a similar price to the ma252 integrated but has more input options and i can utilise an existing solid state power amp I have.

Thanks

Sorry, thought I’d try and bump this up the line to see if any of you can pass on some valued feedback!

thanks
first time I have seen this post.
If I were you I would suggest you work out exactly what you want to buy, integrated or preamp, and then mention your budget. Please note that if you are in the States you'll find them cheaper than us here in the UK where they are not exactly big sellers
Also worth noting that I cannot recall any forum members owning these amplifiers.
I have seen the Luxman but it's more of a lifestyle product that would require some very efficient speakers to partner with it. So definitely apples and oranges.
I did once consider getting one myself, if only it had twice the wpc.......
There are other good, and cheaper, hybrid amplifiers out there if you really want to go down that route.

Last edited:

Mdhowes

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

Read a bit about the Mcintosh but not too much in the Luxman. The Luxman on paper only has 10w, the Mcintosh 100w (hybrid setup). I might be comparing apples and oranges here.

How would this go in a larger 5x8m room. Speakers are monitor audio gx100 stand mounts with the option of a rel sub if needed.

Any comments, experience on either would be great.

Also interested in feedback on the Mcintosh C8 preamp with different brand solid state amp experience. This is a similar price to the ma252 integrated but has more input options and i can utilise an existing solid state power amp I have.

Thanks
I too am considering a Mcintosh Preamp/integrated to use with My Bryston 4B. Have you made any headwind here? Also of note is the MA352 Integrated Hybrid amp from Mcintosh. It has audio output combinations so if I really wanted too I could use it AND my Brtyston in a BI amp configuration. (Have a pair of Paradigm Founder 100s on order.

jjbomber

Hello,

Thanks
I have the McIntosh 252. Sounds is a lot like the Naim Olives with a beefed up power supply. Vocals are the clearest they've ever been. Bass guitar is sensational. You won't need a sub. I have a REL for AV and never needed it for stereo. Downsides? Not many inputs and analogue only. Looks divide opinion, though I love the look and could stare at the green, glowing tubes all day long.

Mdhowes

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site
I have the McIntosh 252. Sounds is a lot like the Naim Olives with a beefed up power supply. Vocals are the clearest they've ever been. Bass guitar is sensational. You won't need a sub. I have a REL for AV and never needed it for stereo. Downsides? Not many inputs and analogue only. Looks divide opinion, though I love the look and could stare at the green, glowing tubes all day long.
Thanks. I like the 352 because it can be used with an external amp like my Bryston for the days I really wish to "open it up" and I love the look of the 252 and 352. Also of note is my gear is in a closet for a minimalist look but I would place one of these units next to my turntable (unlike any other big Mcintosh amp which my current stand could never support. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts