Luxman P-200 + Sennheiser HD650. Which source?

A

Anonymous

That's a great headphone amp. IMO if you're spending that much, replacing the hd650s' cabling is essential to make it come alive. I highly recommend the Russ Andrews one.

Source, there is soo much choice. What do you listen to? Is it all cds or vinyl or digital files?

A

Anonymous

Maybe one of the Bel Canto dacs with an existing cd/dvd player as transport, or get a cd player that has digital inputs, something like the audiolab http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Audiolab-8200CD

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, what about headphones? Are there any that for sure I should avoid with this amp?

I will try to listen to Sennheiser and Grado. I'm just a bit worry about sound leaking from the top models of Grado and Sennheiser....

Is it really an issue?

regards

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Bartez said:
And regrading changing the cable. Is it really such a big improvment for HD650?
No but it will look nice, Russ Andrews will also be happy ;-)

Grado & Sennheiser are like chalk and cheese with the Grado's having a extremely bright presentation and a large bass rolloff , the Sennheisers are much darker and laid back.

What type of sound do you like and what type of music ?

A

Anonymous

Honestly, it made a big difference using the Russ Andrews cable - a couple of guys in the office wouldn't believe that it would make any difference, so i gave them a demo and they were shocked. There are plenty of other replacement cables, and endless reviews and testimonials out there on the web. Russ Andrews has a 60-day trial / return period so there's nothing to lose.

I also have the hd800s, excellent but vy vy fussy with amps, so watch out! It does have a tendency for some brightness and leanness, particularly in the bass. But astounding resolution and soundstage. Other headphones to check out are closed types like the new Sony mdr-z1000 or denon d7000 or audio technica w1000x.

It seems that all the best headphones leak (hifiman he-500, audeze lcd-2, grado ps1000 etc). hd800 doesn't leak too much (for an open pair of headphones).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts