Low speech volume on DVD playback - Improvement Ideas?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think I have a pretty reasonable set up - Sony KDL-40W2000 TV / Sony STR-DA1200ES Amp/Receiver / Playstation 3 / Virgin V+ / Panasonic DMR-EX75 DVD Recorder / Q Acoustics 1010 7.1 Speakers - all chosen with the help of this excellent magazine! Audio is connected to the Amp/Receiver using optical cables and the video sources via HDMI.

I am getting very frustrated though by continually having to adjust volume when watching DVDs when played through either the PS3 or Panasonic, BluRay included. Setting the volume at a reasonable level for the main film means that the volume during main dialogue seems to be very quiet and therefore need to be increased and then turned back down.

When I first had the kit, I performed all the auto cal and have subsequently played with various settings and modes to try and get the balance between main film and dialogue a bit better. I don't think I am the only person who has experienced this though. Normal TV and audio levels are fine so it does seem limited to DVD playback and maybe only associated with 5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips for the principle audio settings or ideas on what Modes/EQ settings should be used? The amp/receiver has these various modes and the ability to change a number of parameters but the manual is a bit thin on exactly what they all do. Can anyone point to a simple guide or maybe share their own experience of what has worked for them.

Given it seems to be a fairly common issue, maybe it even warrants something in the sound advice section of the magazine. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the same amp and tv and dont' have this problem. Have you tried connecting the dvd player to the amp via coaxial? Normally you would get a much better sound. You can also set the amp to have the centre speaker at it's max (+10) and the other speakers say (0 - +5).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts