Loudspeakers comparison

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
hello all. I've listened recently to a few models (MA BR5, MA RS6, B&W 704, B&W CM7).

I liked speacially the RS6 and 704. I listen mainly classical music, jazz, but also some rock. The thing here is that my room is around 30 m2 but I. sitting at a distance of aprox. 3,5 meters from the speakers. I don't know if these speakers are made for bigger rooms and bigger distances. What do you think? Maybe other alternatives?

Thank you as always.

A

Anonymous

da_grudge:
hello all. I've listened recently to a few models (MA BR5, MA RS6, B&W 704, B&W CM7).

I liked speacially the RS6 and 704. I listen mainly classical music, jazz, but also some rock. The thing here is that my room is around 30 m2 but I. sitting at a distance of aprox. 3,5 meters from the speakers. I don't know if these speakers are made for bigger rooms and bigger distances. What do you think? Maybe other alternatives?

Thank you as always.

The 704 are of course better than the RS6 (they cost a lot more too!). The room size and listening distance is OK for the 704. They are not that big and bass is controlled, so you won't have any problem.

For classical and jazz, the 704 are great. They may be a little polite for rock, however, IMHO.

For classical music, I would also consider an older Tannoy model, such as D500, Saturn, or the current Eyris DC series. Or a ProAc. Maybe a used Studio 125 can be within your budget?

A

Anonymous

da_grudge:
FOrgot to say that the amp will be probably a NAD 315 or 325 BEE.

tHANKS

You will be able to drive any of those speakers with the 315 or 325. But I don't think you will get the performance the 704 can really give with an entry level amp.

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. Only the 704 are in my budet (I can get them for 700 pounds, new). So if the nads are not so great, what amp do you recommend? I don't want to spend a lot more.

Thank you

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO i think you'd be better going for the M/A RS6 speakers (funnily enough im selling mine currently)

Anyways not being biased to the RS6's as im a huge B&W fan as well but for your amp the RS6's would be better suited.

And with regards to the comment above (that the B&W 704's are better than the RS6's - Rubbish - IMO)

The 704's were ok speakers but they lacked a lot when it came to bass weight and midrange timing and against the RS6's i think they'd sound lacking.

The B&W 600 series and the 800 series speakers were all a lot better than the 700 series.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if your NAD hopes will clinger to your dream. What is sort budget have you got for both?

A

Anonymous

The problem is is that you don't wanna be spending that much on an amp, NAD in particular, when you are spending £6-800 on speakers for classical music.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:
And with regards to the comment above (that the B&W 704's are better than the RS6's - Rubbish - IMO)

The 704's were ok speakers but they lacked a lot when it came to bass weight and midrange timing and against the RS6's i think they'd sound lacking.

The B&W 600 series and the 800 series speakers were all a lot better than the 700 series.

The 704 are more refined than the RS6.

The 600 series better than the 700? Yeah, right.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

da_grudge:
Thanks. Only the 704 are in my budet (I can get them for 700 pounds, new). So if the nads are not so great, what amp do you recommend? I don't want to spend a lot more.

Thank you

The NADs are actually excellent amps for the money, but still are entry-level amps. The 704 deserve a better amp to really give their best. So a mid-priced amp would be better.

A

Anonymous

If you can get the 704's at a similar price to the RS6, I would go for that deal, for that money they are exceptional speakers. I would then think about spending towards £7-800 on an amp for them. Trust me, you'll have a set up you'll want to listen to endlessly for many years to come.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I think you should distribute your budget more evenly rather than spending a major portion of it on the speakers.

Is it safe to assume that your budget is around 1000 pounds? I listen to classical music only and having limited budget myself, have listened to almost all of the equipments you mention.

If you are going to stick to the 704's, I think Rotel RA1062 is absolute minimum. Roksan Kandy will also be a good match, but I don't see how you can get it under your budget.

May I suggest a slightly different route?

Try the 684's with the Rotel. I've heard that system and is very satisfying in many ways.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

MA RS6 + Audiolab 8000(C or Q) + Audiolab 8000P.

But tbh, if I was a classical fan I'd stay away from MA unless I was prepared to pay for something in their gold series or higher. For rock though, MA kicks ass across the board.

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
So what do you recommend for classical music? in the same budget. The b&w?

Let's say I can spend 1200 pounds..Speakers and amp.

I alos listen to jazz and Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Thank you so much

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't discount the RS6. I listened to these with the MF X-ray kit and they sounded great.

I played mainly classical but when I walked intot the demo room they were playing Michael Buble and it sounded fantastic. So much so thet I bought the kit, I think you can get better but most people have a budget.

You could probably pick up a Primare i21 amp and some RS6 for £1k ~ although I have not heard this combo it could be worth a shot.

Anyone?

A

Anonymous

Spendor S3e can be had for a very reasonable price at the mo.

A

Anonymous

For that money you could get the Rega R5s with the new Marantz 5000 series or a pair of AVi ADM9s which are much better IMO.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
da_grudge:

Thank you so much

I think you can still get the Arcam FMJ A32 on eBay for around £700. It retailed for double this, so would be a bit of a bargain. It'll sound great with classical too.

A

Anonymous

wow, someone selling that real cheap. I am also looking at b&w 704 but can get them cheapest for 1400 euros a pair (approx 1150 pounds ) only ( that too because the pair has some scratches ). If its off internet then can you pl share the link ?

thanks,

Neeraj

A

Anonymous

da_grudge:

Thank you so much

90% of what I listen is classical music. For me, the best brands for classical are: Tannoy, Sonus Faber, Opera, ProAc. I haven't listened to Harbeth but I bet they are also great for classical. And Audio Note probably is too.

And then you have B&W, AE, Focal, Mission, Wharfedale, Castle, DLS, Epos. I think all those do reasonably well in classical.

It's also a matter of taste, as usual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts