Loud hi-fi for EDM

ckokoroskos

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I am looking to get myself a hi-fi system. I am really inexperienced and I need a good loud and clear setup to get my walls rattling. I am sold on the B&W 685 S2 speakers and I might get an ASW610 sub later. The problem is that I do not know what amp I should get for my setup. I am looking at Arcam A19 and Cambridge Audio CXA60. For reference, I am currently using Razer Leviathan soundbar as stereo speakers. I have never had the chance to listen to high definition sound systems.

Gray

ckokoroskos said:
I am looking to get myself a hi-fi system. I am really inexperienced and I need a good loud and clear setup to get my walls rattling. I am sold on the B&W 685 S2 speakers and I might get an ASW610 sub later. The problem is that I do not know what amp I should get for my setup. I am looking at Arcam A19 and Cambridge Audio CXA60. For reference, I am currently using Razer Leviathan soundbar as stereo speakers. I have never had the chance to listen to high definition sound systems.

[/quote

The vast majority of posters on this site are probably more interested in the highest quality rather than 'loud'.

Having said that, when the recording and the system are right there's no such thing as too loud (unless you're a neighbour)

You will get many meaningful suggestions based on years of the forumites experiences. Your final sentence above is relevant. You will get no better suggestion than to take the chance to listen. It's easy to buy based solely on what you read but you MUST listen for yourself. If any dealer offers a home loan service, try stuff in your listening room.

Good luck - here come the recommendations.....

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ckokoroskos said:

If you are serious about 'loud and cleat' then your choices above are, frankly, hopeless.

The speakers are not very sensitive and known to be quite difficult to drive with a nasty impedance dip right in the middle of the bass region. This means any amplifier you choose will have to work pretty hard just to play at normal hi-fi levels. You are, literally, throwing watts away.

In such a setup there will be little left for when you want to turn it up and you will rapidly run out of power, so not very satisfavtory at all. One caveat though, it kind of depends on what you think of as loud.

Given your selections, I guess you are looking at £800-£1000 for amp and speakers but before making any suggestions it would be good to know what you plan to use for a source and get a little more detail on your budget.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi ckokoroskos,

Will you be using the system in your living room, or in a man cave of some sort?

Any significant others you have to take into account (looks-wise)?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
ckokoroskos said:

If you are serious about 'loud and cleat' then your choices above are, frankly, hopeless.

The speakers are not very sensitive and known to be quite difficult to drive with a nasty impedance dip right in the middle of the bass region. This means any amplifier you choose will have to work pretty hard just to play at normal hi-fi levels. You are, literally, throwing watts away.

In such a setup there will be little left for when you want to turn it up and you will rapidly run out of power, so not very satisfavtory at all. One caveat though, it kind of depends on what you think of as loud.

Given your selections, I guess you are looking at £800-£1000 for amp and speakers but before making any suggestions it would be good to know what you plan to use for a source and get a little more detail on your budget.

yep. Those setups will sound fine, but clean, wall rattling sound is not what they're about.

Clean and loud on a budget? I feel a suggestion of some active speakers coming on. Something like the Adam A7X and even a budget DAC would put the B&Ws to shame. Or perhaps some big Mackies for real party level SPL.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Mackie HR824 Mk2...

+1

I was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

For EDM The Mackie HR824 are ideal. They go louder than most speakers can without distorting. They have really solid and deep bass. But best of all they sound clearer and more detailed than what the vast majority of 'proper' passive hifi speakers in the same price range do.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
daveh75 said:
Mackie HR824 Mk2...

+1

I was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

For EDM The Mackie HR824 are ideal. They go louder than most speakers can without distorting. They have really solid and deep bass. But best of all they sound clearer and more detailed than what the vast majority of 'proper' passive hifi speakers in the same price range do.

All true of course though the HR824s might be a touch expensive, particularly as we have no idea how they are being driven, a pre-amp of some kind might be required, for instance.

Other cheaper examples that still offer great vfm, include Adam A7x and A8x, Yamaha HS8s and Presonus Eris 8s, the latter can be found for as little as £350.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
All true of course though the HR824s might be a touch expensive, particularly as we have no idea how they are being driven, a pre-amp of some kind might be required, for instance.

Other cheaper examples that still offer great vfm, include Adam A7x and A8x, Yamaha HS8s and Presonus Eris 8s, the latter can be found for as little as £350.

Fair point.

The Yamaha HS8 are probably the best EDM speakers in the budget end of the speaker market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts