Loud crackling / popping in one speaker.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I heared a loud crackle and then a pop from my left speaker which worried me but the speaker continued working so I didn't investigate any further. Every time I've listened to my speakers since I've been waitng for it to happen again and nothing happened over the weekend when I was listening to a few cds but a few minutes ago it did happen again giving me a bit of a fright. The speakers are working fine and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

What could it be and should I be worried ?

A

Anonymous

Most like to be a short somewhere and yes, it isn't good.

I'd be looking suspiciously at cabling (speaker and if it only affects one source, interconnects), then the amp. Could eliminate the speaker easily by swapping them over and seeing if/when the noise repeats it has moved.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for the reply. I have only one source connected to the amplifier (cd player), I'll see if it's the cables. I'm still listening to cds and it hasn't happened for the best part of an hour now.

A

Anonymous

I've just had a thought, this crackle happened since I swapped my mains cables and also replaced a cheap extension lead with Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner, I never had a problem before so I'm wondering if this could be the problem?

A

Anonymous

Be surprised if mains power had anything to do with it - as in I'm struggling to think of mains related issue that would cause noise only in on speaker. More info about your setup might help others to suggest causes/solutions.

A

Anonymous

My set up is a recently put together Rega system, Rega Apollo cd player, Rega Mira 3 amp and Rega RS3 speakers. Interconnects are Atlas Equator II and the speaker cable is Van Damme studio blue.

5264330406_b4a5ced485_z.jpg

5263722457_7fa70842c0_z.jpg

5264335288_867908c1d7_z.jpg

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Ah man that looks like such a nice setup and listening room! I can imagine at night with the lights turned down and the fire going it must be so relaxing! do you not toe your speakers in? Sorry to hear ya having probs, have you contacted the peeps that sold you the setup or did you buy it all from different suppliers?

SteveR750

Does it occur when you adjust the anything (volume for example) or just randomly when playing?

Might be RFI interference - does it coincide with your c/heating thermostat kicking in?

Nice looking room, though personally I'd move your speakers so that the left one is at least flush with that partition next to it so it is firing into space.

A

Anonymous

I bought the components from different suppliers and I haven't contacted anyone about it.

The problem doesn't occur when I adjust anything, I can be listening to a cd and it'll happen out of the blue. It has only happened a couple of times but I'm expecting it to happen again at any time.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

A quick update.

I returned the amplifier to the supplier who sent it back to Rega to take a look.

A few days later I recieved an e-mail saying " We have just come off the phone from Rega and it's all fixed, it was a faulty
transistor
"

I now have the amplifier back and I'm pleased to say I have no problems to report
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS