Lost TV signal.

Our built-in Freeview has died on the TV. The Sky box Freeview is fine but we only have a basic package, so there are certain channels we can't receive on Sky.

As Chebby and a few others know I've mentioned how bad this area is for signal and the TV pixelates during bad weather, but now ALL channels on the TV Freeview is blank. Never been this bad before. The antenna is huge - looks like a bloody radar station...

Any advice would be appreciated.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Our built-in Freeview has died on the TV. The Sky box Freeview is fine but we only have a basic package, so there are certain channels we can't receive on Sky.

As Chebby and a few others know I've mentioned how bad this area is for signal and the TV pixelates during bad weather, but now ALL channels on the TV Freeview is blank. Never been this bad before. The antenna is huge - looks like a bloody radar station...

Patience is required.

Remove the aerial lead from the television. Now do a complete scan without the aerial plugged in.

Now power off TV. Not just standby or 'off' button. Mains plug as well.

Now, first of all, plug in the aerial to the back of the TV (no other devices, just aerial lead from roof).

Finally plug in and power on TV and let it auto-scan.

No short cuts or this won't work.

If this fails then ask neighbours if they have lost terrestrial broadcasts too. Check on internet for engineering work on your local transmitter.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Patience is required.

Remove the aerial lead from the television. Now do a complete scan without the aerial plugged in.

Now power off TV. Not just standby or 'off' button. Mains plug as well.

Now, first of all, plug in the aerial to the back of the TV (no other devices, just aerial lead from roof).

Finally plug in and power on TV and let it auto-scan.

No short cuts or this won't work.

If this fails then ask neighbours if they have lost terrestrial broadcasts too. Check on internet for engineering work on your local transmitter.

Did all of that apart from unplugging the set. I'll try it again and unplug it for a few minutes. Cheers Chebby.

Retrieved some of the channels: 33 out of the usual 80-odd. But most are horrendously pixelated. Going through the whole procedure again.

Also checked the Denon tuner and all the broadcasts are fine except for heavy hissing, normally isn't there. The FM cable is connected to the same antenna.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like either the aerial has been knocked a bit out of whack by the recent winds, or there's been some water ingress into the terminal block where the downlead attaches to the aerial. That would reduce the signal, meaning only the strongest signals get through, and also create the pixellation as the TV tuner struggles to create a picture from the diminished signal.

spiny norman said:
Sounds like either the aerial has been knocked a bit out of whack by the recent winds, or there's been some water ingress into the terminal block where the downlead attaches to the aerial. That would reduce the signal, meaning only the strongest signals get through, and also create the pixellation as the TV tuner struggles to create a picture from the diminished signal.

You could be right. However, I got it back upto 71 channels found although most are awful to watch. Then suddenly a few more appeared. But pixels still remain dreadful. Think I might have to call an engineer in tomorrow to see whether any moisture has entered the box or whether the recent bad weather conditions has clattered the aerial.

I'm just re-booting it for the fourth time. If that doesn't work then a man with his tools will be required.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts