Looping Pre/Power Amplifiers As A Possible Upgrade Path

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys, A very technical question I have for the forum. It regards a possiblity for a future upgrade path within the next 3 years. I currently own the Musical Fidelity KW Preamplifier and the KW750 Power Amplifier. They are connected like most pre/power amplifiers via a set of RCA cables. I have recently been informed, in the future when I obtain a set of "dream" speakers. (Basically full range bandwidth ones) e.g. B&W 800D, Wilson Audio Alexandria, Kef Muon. Speakers with very high demands on power!!.

A simple solution for these speakers would be to purchase another KW750 Power amplifier and have each massive poweramplifier running each speaker. Now to do this it gets a bit complicated. Apologises if this makes no sense. I shall describe the path of the signal for one speaker and the other will be the same method on the other channel.

Basically taking the left output RCA from my preamplifier into the Left Input RCA of the Power amplifier, from here one set of speaker wires will be going to one set of speaker connections[LF Binding Posts] on the bi-wireable speakers. Then taking a loop from the Left Output Loop on the Power amplifier and looping it into the Right Input RCA of the Power Amplifier and finally using another set of speaker wires to power the other set of ports[HF Binding Posts] on the speakers. Effectively using a 2 channel amplifier to power 1 speaker. And then repeating the process for the other channel. Logically the process is flawless and I have been informed that there wont be an issue with the timing of the music as electrons travel at such a great speed from the loop connection I propose that there really wouldnt be a problem.

Is the advice I have been given right or would there be a problem with the sound, mainly the timing of the low frequencies and high frequencies being slightly out of sync that it is audiable. Has anyone tried this before

Apologises for the strange nature of my question but I hope it will show the readers that if it is possible, there maybe a strange way to upgrade the power of your system without starting again.

Any advice is welcomed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem. Or you could use one stereo amp to run the treble and the other the bass, but given the dual-mono design of the kW750 there probably won't be much in it...

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, Thanks for you response. You've confirmed what I have been told. Sometimes you get worried, folks are just trying to sell you things. That means im going to require another Titan. In the future things are going to get slightly messy I believe. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts