Looks legit? New iPhone part

Paul.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/06/video-hands-on-with-the-purported-next-generation-iphone-metal-back/

Seem legit? Looks quite nice actually, seems to fit the rumours that the screen is going to four inches with no increase in phone width, and only a 7mm increase in height.

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link, does look legit doesn't it.

I've just replaced the rear panel on my 3gs and it cost £40 in labour charges because all the components are 'bolted' to it.

One thing I really like about the i4 is that replacing the rear panel if it gets scratched is only two screws and two minutes work, looking at this design it would appear to be a return to the 3gs system for the sake of lightness.

Also, do you think that a smaller connector port will make this incompatible with earlier ipod docks?

The Apple haters on here will love that! :doh: .

Regards

Cliff.

I saw that earier today. I seriously doubt if it's legit:

1) Why would Apple ditch its proprietary connector & go for micro USB? An entire industry grew on Apple's connector. It wouldn't want to encourage them to switch to micro USB which will be compatible with Android & Windows phones as well. People are often also tied to Apple if they've made a significant investment on its accessories.

2) Why would the size of the micro SIM be different? It doesn't make any sense.

Paul.

bigboss said:
I saw that earier today. I seriously doubt if it's legit:

1) Why would Apple ditch its proprietary connector & go for micro USB? An entire industry grew on Apple's connector. It wouldn't want to encourage them to switch to micro USB which will be compatible with Android & Windows phones as well. People are often also tied to Apple if they've made a significant investment on its accessories.

2) Why would the size of the micro SIM be different? It doesn't make any sense.

1) Who says its a micro USB? Could be a mini thunderbolt system. Apple have never been afraid to kill off legacy tech, and AirPlay is killing the docks usefull ness.

2). Apple have just passed a royalty free 4FF sub micro sim standard, beating nokias proposal which would be royalty bearing. Can't remember the name of the body who decides, but they picked apples version.

That being said, prototypes regularly make it in to public hands and this could be an abandoned prototype, just like the dual dock connector iPad which just showed up on eBay

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, I recently worked on an interview with O2 el supremo Ronan Dunne re sustainiblity. Dunne said that "the industry" has agreed to adopt a universal micro-USB charger/dock, to cut wastage/recycling/packaging.

Perhaps Apple is joining the party?

6th.replicant said:
FWIW, I recently worked on an interview with O2 el supremo Ronan Dunne re sustainiblity. Dunne said that "the industry" has agreed to adopt a universal micro-USB charger/dock, to cut wastage/recycling/packaging.

Perhaps Apple is joining the party?

Nah, Apple cleverly got round it by selling this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-offering-micro-usb-adapters-to-european-customers/

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Nah, Apple cleverly got round it by selling this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-offering-micro-usb-adapters-to-european-customers/

I bought an Iphone 4S last friday, but it didn't come with such a universal micro usb adapter thingy.

(and for some reason, not all album art will show up on the phone even though it does in Itunes)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Its believable though i never thought they would drop the 30pin connector but it makes sense

It looks like Apples engineering though i would always take things with a pinch of salt as Apple would of made many different design options so letting a rejected version out into the public wouldn't suprise me.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Two arguments:

(a) Yes, it will make a load of current devices obsolete, but only if users choose to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Pretty annoying, especially if you've only just purchased a device which uses this type of connection.

(b) The iPhone design is now 5 years old - the smartphone market is so competitive now, Apple have to keep re-designing to keep things fresh. The iPhone 4S was widely criticised for being so similar to the iPhone 4, and now naturally, the iPhone 5 will be widely criticised for being different. It's just what happens.

My prediction - expect lots more press stories up to the release including statements of how many loyal customers will be abandoning Apple because of this. The iPhone 5 will be released and it will be the best selling iPhone so far.

Let's see if I'm right :)

Of course you will be right! :)

Despite all the criticism, iPhone 4S went on to become the fastest selling iPhone till date (though one might argue Steve Jobs' death may have something to do with it).

In many ways, this will prove to be a lifeline to the accessories industry, with increase in sales due to the new connector. Apple has achieved that cult status to afford it taking the risk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts