Looking to Upgrade my Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones

paulsolo

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones.

I have always enjoyed their open smooth sound, but I do find them a little restrained and I would like to progress to the next sound level.

I also have a problem in that as I am in South Africa, I am not in a position to demo the headphones as I have to order the headphones from another part of the country.

The 4 x contenders on my list are:

1. Grado SR125i

2. Grado SR225i

3. AKG K701

4. Beyerdynamic T50p

I know each option offers slightly different variables and each requires a compromise of sorts.

Other than the prerequisite excellent sound quality for this price level, comfort and not bright would be at the top of my list of requirements.

My concern about the Grados is the comfort and brightness (based on various reviews I have read).

How dramatic is the difference between the SR125i and SR225i?

With the AKGs its how much do their analytical nature affect their musicality and fluidity? Their comfort levels appear to be among the best here.

With the T50ps it is how do they sound in comparison to the other options, and while they certainly appear to be superb headphones on-the-go, how serious a contender are they for home use (the main intended use)?

In addition, would the Graham Slee Novo be a suitable headphone amp for the above contenders.

Please share your expertise and experiences.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
paulsolo said:
I am looking to upgrade my Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones.

I have always enjoyed their open smooth sound, but I do find them a little restrained and I would like to progress to the next sound level.

I also have a problem in that as I am in South Africa, I am not in a position to demo the headphones as I have to order the headphones from another part of the country.

The 4 x contenders on my list are:

1. Grado SR125i

2. Grado SR225i

3. AKG K701

4. Beyerdynamic T50p

I know each option offers slightly different variables and each requires a compromise of sorts.

Other than the prerequisite excellent sound quality for this price level, comfort and not bright would be at the top of my list of requirements.

My concern about the Grados is the comfort and brightness (based on various reviews I have read).

How dramatic is the difference between the SR125i and SR225i?

With the AKGs its how much do their analytical nature affect their musicality and fluidity? Their comfort levels appear to be among the best here.

With the T50ps it is how do they sound in comparison to the other options, and while they certainly appear to be superb headphones on-the-go, how serious a contender are they for home use (the main intended use)?

In addition, would the Graham Slee Novo be a suitable headphone amp for the above contenders.

Please share your expertise and experiences.

Of the items you picked, the K701 could be an upgrade of sorts. The Shure 940 would be an even better upgrade, but it's a closed headphone like the T50p. The T50p is way colored compared to the Senn 595, and the Grados are as well, but in a very different way than the T50p. If you get the Grado PS-500 that would be the closest thing to a real upgrade from the 595 that Grado offers. In Beyerdynamic I don't see anything comparable to the general neutrality/signature of the Senn 595 except one old studio monitor that clamps your head like a vise and has very light bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts