Looking to upgrade: better amp or DAC

tomedwards94

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Im looking to make an upgrade to my current system consisting of a Macbook, going into a Cambridge Audio A1 which feeds a pair of Mordaunt Short Mezzo 1's. The music on my laptop is ripped at 320 kbps or above.

My problem is that i'm not sure whether my modest student budget would be better spent on an improved amp such as the NAD 326BEE or a DAC such as the DacMagic or those produced by Beresford.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tom

A

Anonymous

No specific advice since I never listened to this gear. Others may know more about the quality of the macbook's analog output, or the SQ of the A1. Have you listened to other sources than the Mac (CDs) and are you unsatisfied with that also? If so, a change of amp(/speakers) could be the way to go. I can imagine though that the NAD will be a minor (and hence temporary) upgrade, while a DAC may stay. Also you may want to consider a cheaper DAC, like the VDAC or a Nuforce, and buy a better amp second hand?

idc

Hi Tom. Since you mention the DACmagic I assume your budget is £250. Since your choice is to get a DAC or a sideways move to another amp, I would, as suggested go the DAC route and lower your budget with the Musical Fidelity V-DAC or something from Firestone Audio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts