Looking to migrate from the 90's

m4rkw

Sep 14, 2022
Visit site
I have a Roksan Xerxes, Naim NAC72, 2xHiCap,a NAP250 and SBL's (with broken crossover), which have sat in my attic for over 20 years. I now have more time to listen to music and would like a good quality music streaming system, mostly for use with Tidal and Spotify. I have read many reviews, but the choice is phenomenal and it's difficult for me to review systems as I now live in Switzerland and many of the brands available here are not the same as found in the UK (many v. expensive US and Swiss products)

My current thinking is to buy a Chord Hugo 2 with 2go and PMC Result6 active speakers, or instead of the PMC's use the NAP250 with Spendor A7's.

I know hi-fi is a personal thing and there is nothing like listening before buying, but if anyone is able to comment on the products I mentioned above, or suggest those that work well together, I will try to find somewhere I can review these. At the moment the choice is baffling. Budget is about 8K GBP

Thanks & Regards,
/Mark.

Last edited:

Gray

You've got more than enough budget for something decent.
What you don't need is any limitation on choice though - and that makes it difficult for people to recommend things.

There are 2 or 3 of us here, that would give the Result 6 a go, given the chance.

For a 'just add speakers' streamer, the Nad M33 would take some beating - might go well with the Spendor A7......

Reactions: m4rkw and WayneKerr

m4rkw

Sep 14, 2022
Visit site
@Gray,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. NAD looks a good option. I will see if I can find one locally. The KEF LS60 system is also of interest.

I like the idea of a compact solution, which I could also move to my WFH office if I use the system regularly and want to upgrade.

Reactions: Gray

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I have a Roksan Xerxes, Naim NAC72, 2xHiCap,a NAP250 and SBL's (with broken crossover), which have sat in my attic for over 20 years. I now have more time to listen to music and would like a good quality music streaming system, mostly for use with Tidal and Spotify. I have read many reviews, but the choice is phenomenal and it's difficult for me to review systems as I now live in Switzerland and many of the brands available here are not the same as found in the UK (many v. expensive US and Swiss products)

My current thinking is to buy a Chord Hugo 2 with 2go and PMC Result6 active speakers, or instead of the PMC's use the NAP250 with Spendor A7's.

I know hi-fi is a personal thing and there is nothing like listening before buying, but if anyone is able to comment on the products I mentioned above, or suggest those that work well together, I will try to find somewhere I can review these. At the moment the choice is baffling. Budget is about 8K GBP

Thanks & Regards,
/Mark.

Tbh your not going to get much better pre and amp wise. So leave well alone I’d say

Id start by looking at the speakers, maybe NEATI had good resaults with revel and many love ATC with naim.

Dac leave Hugo 2 get the qutest cheaper but the same just omits the battery and then add a bluesound node2i

that should leave you some notes in the bank tbh, maybe you could update the pre to a 202 with power supply if the cash is burning a hole in your pocket. Leave that up to you.

or dump the lot and go with some kef ls60wireless and be done with it all and cut the clutter/boxes

Reactions: m4rkw

m4rkw

Sep 14, 2022
Visit site
@twinkletoes

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of not using the Naim bits at the moment, but then again ATC SMC40's might go well with the NAP250.

I do travel regularly, so the Chord items with IEM's would be useful, but an A&K SP3000 would be even more portable. Here I go down another rabbit hole.

I think I will go for the portable approach at the moment. I can't demo Result6 with Chord or A&K, but I think they will be quite adaptable. I also started looking a Genelec near field monitors, but then again....

I think I just need to buy something and enjoy!

Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
@twinkletoes

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of not using the Naim bits at the moment, but then again ATC SMC40's might go well with the NAP250.

I do travel regularly, so the Chord items with IEM's would be useful, but an A&K SP3000 would be even more portable. Here I go down another rabbit hole.

I think I will go for the portable approach at the moment. I can't demo Result6 with Chord or A&K, but I think they will be quite adaptable. I also started looking a Genelec near field monitors, but then again....

I think I just need to buy something and enjoy!

Well the Hugo 2 is very nice, I used it with some focal clears. Everything was spot on, the best way I could describe it is/was balanced not to much of any one thing.

Not really sure you need the Hugo just to drive IEMs though, the mojo it’s ultimately more portable with a polly in tow. I’d even argue a dragon fly colbolt and phone with a iems of your choosing would be great more than great and far more portable than any of the options listed. Don’t underestimate those little sticks they even give the Hugo 2 a run for it’s money after trying them back to back.

the 250 and the ATCs would be nice, never got on with them myself. I really urge you too look at revel and there preformer series. If you can audition that you’ll be in for a treat.

as you say above have fun! What ever gets you listening to your music the quickest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts