Looking to buy a streamer but what ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Currently i own a Yamaha WXC-50 which i am happy with and owned it now for 2-3 years but will me changing it change anything in improving sound quality or would i be wasting my money ?
If i compare my Yamaha WXC-50 to theses models would it be a good upgrade
Cambridge V2 streamer the £799 one
Node 2 i £499 or keeping my Yamaha WXC-50 and buying a DAC like the cord qutest

£1100 or a
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Last edited:

abacus

Unless it is faulty or it no longer does what you want, (It’s quite comprehensive) I would stick with it as the source will more likely to be the limiting factor rather than the unit itself.

Bill

jjbomber

Currently i own a Yamaha WXC-50 which i am happy with and owned it now for 2-3 years but will me changing it change anything in improving sound quality or would i be wasting my money ?

£1100 or a
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

I would use the oppo for streaming. You own a stunning amp. What exactly do you use the Yamaha for that the Oppo can't do?

Reactions: Al ears

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I would use the oppo for streaming. You own a stunning amp. What exactly do you use the Yamaha for that the Oppo can't do?
To be honest I do not use the OPPO much I felt it wasn’t so good at music as the Yamaha WXC-50 or my Yamaha CD player .
I do have a fantastic amplifier but found I started to stream more then actually listening to my CDs .
I do have all of my CDs ripped to a separate hard drive on my Pc and use Roon .
As much as I like the Yamaha WXC-50 can I get better steamer to run with my Yamaha amplifier or do I buy a good Dac and still use the Yamaha WXC-50 as it still does it’s job well

To be honest I do not use the OPPO much I felt it wasn’t so good at music as the Yamaha WXC-50 or my Yamaha CD player .
I do have a fantastic amplifier but found I started to stream more then actually listening to my CDs .
I do have all of my CDs ripped to a separate hard drive on my Pc and use Roon .
As much as I like the Yamaha WXC-50 can I get better steamer to run with my Yamaha amplifier or do I buy a good Dac and still use the Yamaha WXC-50 as it still does it’s job well
Decent streamers in the sub £1000 price bracket are hard to recommend it seems.
However some of that may be down to quality of the source material apparently.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Completely happy with my Node 2i - punches well above its weight and has digital out if I want to use an external DAC. Best £500 I spent in ages. Currently use it for Tidal and Amazon Music HD. Seems to work best plugged directly into my internet using ethernet

Reactions: newlash09

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi black sabbath hope ok. Will try and behave myself on a forum. Hopefully. I reviewed all of those - original cxn. You will get an ok improvement with the node 2i but a sideways step. You can spend less and that’s the terrific Allo DigiOne signature. Wxc-50 is a bit edgy and grainey against node , allo, and cxn. but I don’t think much to make you go wow. A bigger change will obviously be the dac. And the RME is a Qutest killer , as I said, on all out features, equaliser and price. Plus inputs and headphone. I preferred it with some ATCs but liked the chord with a Hegel and neat iota Alpha. Overall the rme is mid centric and natural to the chords expansive thick set. I use the RME more. It’s better value. Only you know to which suits

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
save your money, the prices manufactures are charging for streaming devices is beyond ridiculous. Neither will be a noticeable improvement over what you have

they will be a change but there reaches a point between consumer Audio and audiophile Audio where paying lots more gets big big diminishing returns. And that point in streaming is quite a lowish price.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi black sabbath hope ok. Will try and behave myself on a forum. Hopefully. I reviewed all of those - original cxn. You will get an ok improvement with the node 2i but a sideways step. You can spend less and that’s the terrific Allo DigiOne signature. Wxc-50 is a bit edgy and grainey against node , allo, and cxn. but I don’t think much to make you go wow. A bigger change will obviously be the dac. And the RME is a Qutest killer , as I said, on all out features, equaliser and price. Plus inputs and headphone. I preferred it with some ATCs but liked the chord with a Hegel and neat iota Alpha. Overall the rme is mid centric and natural to the chords expansive thick set. I use the RME more. It’s better value. Only you know to which suits
A node 2i not interested maybe a Cxn 851 N but an old model now but the one streamer i look of with a ESS Dac inside is a Auralic G2 which ticks all of my boxes and you can now connect a separate CD drive and rip straight to the Auralic which is a plus and its Roon ready .
I did watch your Youtube video on the RME which is tempting as a Dac but been told all DACs sound the same its just the filters that change things . ?
But still looking for a well built Streamer that does everything and is worth the money as i am finding out they are all pretty expensive and the choice is not great considering streaming is the way to go even through i still have a CD player .

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

I had two Yamaha streamers on loan the WXC-50 and NP-S303 . I returned the WXC-50 unit first. I thought WXC-50 was a tad edgy, the NP-S303 was the more refined unit, might have something to do with the Burr Brown chip on the NP-S303. Anyway I got a good deal on ebay for the CXN V2 to compare against the NP-S303. The StreamMagic app will give you Chromecast over the MusicCast app. I like the art work on the V2 screen, something neither Yamaha unit could offer. The Cambridge has more control on bass and treble the performance just seemed tighter.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I brought my Yamaha WXC-50 when it was first released and used it for sometime but when you compare this with the OPPO the OPPO sounds better as its more detailed which i like .
So this then made me think if the OPPO can bring a little more detail out which is down to the Dac on the OPPO what could a good streamer do with a good Dac inside or buy a good Dac on its own .
As i did buy the Yamaha WXC-50 as a first step into streaming and since then i brought a lifetime membership of Roon software which i really like .
So any streamer i am thinking of buying has to be Roon ready and have a really good Dac like the OPPO or better so the models i have looked at that interest me are Cambridge 851n streamer , Auralc Vega G2 , Pioneer N70 but its not Roon Ready but this unit is built very well .
Or just buy Dac like the Cord Qutest , RME Dac .
But still looking really for a dedicated streamer thats Roon ready has a good Dac inside in one box and if it has a screen on the front that is a bonus

michael hoy

I brought my Yamaha WXC-50 when it was first released and used it for sometime but when you compare this with the OPPO the OPPO sounds better as its more detailed which i like .
So this then made me think if the OPPO can bring a little more detail out which is down to the Dac on the OPPO what could a good streamer do with a good Dac inside or buy a good Dac on its own .
As i did buy the Yamaha WXC-50 as a first step into streaming and since then i brought a lifetime membership of Roon software which i really like .
So any streamer i am thinking of buying has to be Roon ready and have a really good Dac like the OPPO or better so the models i have looked at that interest me are Cambridge 851n streamer , Auralc Vega G2 , Pioneer N70 but its not Roon Ready but this unit is built very well .
Or just buy Dac like the Cord Qutest , RME Dac .
But still looking really for a dedicated streamer thats Roon ready has a good Dac inside in one box and if it has a screen on the front that is a bonus
Did you check out the new Arcam

when is this out to buy ?
Several websites have it up for sale now, see this one:-
Whether they actually have stock is a different matter.....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Several websites have it up for sale now, see this one:-
Whether they actually have stock is a different matter.....
Did look and see richer sounds stock them

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts