Looking to buy a streamer but what ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
A node 2i not interested maybe a Cxn 851 N but an old model now but the one streamer i look of with a ESS Dac inside is a Auralic G2 which ticks all of my boxes and you can now connect a separate CD drive and rip straight to the Auralic which is a plus and its Roon ready .
I did watch your Youtube video on the RME which is tempting as a Dac but been told all DACs sound the same its just the filters that change things . ?
But still looking for a well built Streamer that does everything and is worth the money as i am finding out they are all pretty expensive and the choice is not great considering streaming is the way to go even through i still have a CD player .

I wouldn't go on just the ESS sabre DAC. People tend to think they are the best due to technical spec and being revered technically, which is kind of hook line and sinkering people into buying that model. Lots goes into the sound other than just the chip.

Can't agree all DACs sound the same, nor filters. It's how they deal with jitter, the clocks and the analogue output and how low distorting it is. Then the DAC implementation too.

My advice is not to go crazy on the streamer as it is a false economy that these expensive ones are worth their price weight as streamers, in the types of systems we both use. They come into play in extremely good hifi Im sure. The way to look at it is, I think, what is the opportunity cost and what gets more sound per pound. Undeniably I believe on DACs, amps and speakers. But I'd only spend on DACs where you double your money to what you've got, otherwise not worth it. Doubling rule of spending is a good adage, not always but often.

You can connect a CD player to the G1 too, but to my mind, why do that when you can connect a CD drive to a cheap laptop or desktop and send it over the network to an inexpensive NAS drive. I reviewed the Aries G1 and it definitely isn't VFM. I think they are over engineered and you pay a lot for the casework and display. An Allo in a Perspex case sounds as next to damn it. Lightning DS isn't a patch on Roon too.

PS Ive also got a WXC-50 and I think it wont quite be as detailed due to the shared power supply because it is a pre amp too.Also built at a budget, but dedicated streamers are not like that.

Sorry if ive repeated myself from last post.Hope helps. Cheers Simon

Last edited:
Reactions: Prodigy

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't go on just the ESS sabre DAC. People tend to think they are the best due to technical spec and being revered technically, which is kind of hook line and sinkering people into buying that model. Lots goes into the sound other than just the chip.

Can't agree all DACs sound the same, nor filters. It's how they deal with jitter, the clocks and the analogue output and how low distorting it is. Then the DAC implementation too.

My advice is not to go crazy on the streamer as it is a false economy that these expensive ones are worth their price weight as streamers, in the types of systems we both use. They come into play in extremely good hifi Im sure. The way to look at it is, I think, what is the opportunity cost and what gets more sound per pound. Undeniably I believe on DACs, amps and speakers. But I'd only spend on DACs where you double your money to what you've got, otherwise not worth it. Doubling rule of spending is a good adage, not always but often.

You can connect a CD player to the G1 too, but to my mind, why do that when you can connect a CD drive to a cheap laptop or desktop and send it over the network to an inexpensive NAS drive. I reviewed the Aries G1 and it definitely isn't VFM. I think they are over engineered and you pay a lot for the casework and display. An Allo in a Perspex case sounds as next to damn it. Lightning DS isn't a patch on Roon too.

PS Ive also got a WXC-50 and I think it wont quite be as detailed due to the shared power supply because it is a pre amp too.Also built at a budget, but dedicated streamers are not like that.

Sorry if ive repeated myself from last post.Hope helps. Cheers Simon
This a lot of the reason i have not brought myself a new streamer yet and still using my OPPO 203 as i look at the expensive streamers and think to myself why are they so expensive for not much under the hood .
Its like the linn streamers people say you need to buy one as they are the best but they are no different then the Cambridge 851 n but linn charger more for its name .
I just wanted to buy a well engineered streamer that would be a proper upgrade

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
This a lot of the reason i have not brought myself a new streamer yet and still using my OPPO 203 as i look at the expensive streamers and think to myself why are they so expensive for not much under the hood .
Its like the linn streamers people say you need to buy one as they are the best but they are no different then the Cambridge 851 n but linn charger more for its name .
I just wanted to buy a well engineered streamer that would be a proper upgrade

Linn are poor vfm. I tried a £15k Klimax with a reviewer and as a pure streamer we agreed the £5 Innuos zenith se was better sounding. Streamng upgrades are small for the outlay, that's why I go with functionality in streaming - where is your Roon server and is the Oppo a roon end point - sorry could look it up but busy

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Linn are poor vfm. I tried a £15k Klimax with a reviewer and as a pure streamer we agreed the £5 Innuos zenith se was better sounding. Streamng upgrades are small for the outlay, that's why I go with functionality in streaming - where is your Roon server and is the Oppo a roon end point - sorry could look it up but busy
Roon software is on my PC and the OPPO is the end point i did use the Yamaha WXC 50 before using the OPPO for a long time but the Yamaha is not Roon ready only airplay or a sever .
I did want a dedicated streamer that was a good upgrade above the Yamaha WXC50 as this was my first step into streaming or i was going to buy a Dac but then thought i would have lots of boxes sitting around which i do not want so looking for a good streamer that did both and Roon ready but totally understand the OPPO is good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts