Question Looking to buy a speaker for my future turntable

iroh

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I will be buying a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB turntable and i was wondering which speaker would go well with it? I live in an appartment so i don't need anything that will spit too much bass, i'm looking for clear and accurate sounds, something that would be similar to my sennheiser hd599 for comparison.

Edit: Also would be great to connect to pc sometimes since most of my music is on there

thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

It is probably important to decide if you want a powered speaker that connects to your USB turntable, or whether in future you might want a more traditional stereo system, with amp and a pair of speakers.
As you’re worried about bass, the smaller the speakers the less bass you’ll get, typically. Speakers small enough for a desktop, often either side of a computer, can be placed on special mounts to reduce vibration.

This article may help, and there are dozens of reviews in the magazine.

Reactions: Al ears

Shadowfax

Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I will be buying a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB turntable and i was wondering which speaker would go well with it? I live in an appartment so i don't need anything that will spit too much bass, i'm looking for clear and accurate sounds, something that would be similar to my sennheiser hd599 for comparison.

Edit: Also would be great to connect to pc sometimes since most of my music is on there

thanks!
I must say, I have never in 45 years in the hobby & the business, ever heard that question. You don't mention a budget, though. $400/pair, 1K/pair, 1.5K? There are so many options that would suit your needs, which I'd say are pretty much everyone's needs, they can't be counted without knowing what range to be looking in.

iroh

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

It is probably important to decide if you want a powered speaker that connects to your USB turntable, or whether in future you might want a more traditional stereo system, with amp and a pair of speakers.
As you’re worried about bass, the smaller the speakers the less bass you’ll get, typically. Speakers small enough for a desktop, often either side of a computer, can be placed on special mounts to reduce vibration.

im not too knowledgeable in this sort of thing,
I must say, I have never in 45 years in the hobby & the business, ever heard that question. You don't mention a budget, though. $400/pair, 1K/pair, 1.5K? There are so many options that would suit your needs, which I'd say are pretty much everyone's needs, they can't be counted without knowing what range to be looking in.
Well you have a point, I mostly was looking for recommendations of a certain speaker based on experience / preference and why, price range would be preferably under 400$ someone at work told me he was running his turntable, an amp and his speaker (he said something about a tuner too, we're french so it may mean something else) also i realized this turntable was usb only pretty much, or rca. I'm wondering what kind of quality difference could there be between usb and jacks (i think its the other option? )

iroh

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

well now that i think about it, i would consider going a bit more traditional, it is a turntable after all

the turntable i mentioned seems to have a phono/line option for rca, so im guessing it has the usb as an extra?

D

Deleted member 108165

well now that i think about it, i would consider going a bit more traditional, it is a turntable after all

the turntable i mentioned seems to have a phono/line option for rca, so im guessing it has the usb as an extra?
Think the USB connection may be there to archive/rip to a PC. Using RCA's you will need an amp or active/powered speakers to get any sound out of the turntable.

That’s how I see it too. The line output can connect to any amplifier. Unfortunately I don’t know French prices or availability. A tuner is the traditional name for a device to connect to a Hifi amplifier that receives radio. But many listen to internet radio rather than traditional AM or FM.

In the UK, something like this will receive radio, play CDs, and has an input to connect your turntable.

iroh

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
That’s how I see it too. The line output can connect to any amplifier. Unfortunately I don’t know French prices or availability. A tuner is the traditional name for a device to connect to a Hifi amplifier that receives radio. But many listen to internet radio rather than traditional AM or FM.

In the UK, something like this will receive radio, play CDs, and has an input to connect your turntable.
wow thank you so much, i was just thinking that maybe i would wait for the turn table, get some speakers to enjoy music while i try to find one i would like

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts