Current system:
Turntable : Rega RP10 / Apheta 2
CD: Audioflight CD2
Amps :
Rega Aria
Bryston BP 25 Dac preamp
Bryston 4B SST power amp
Streamer : Bluesound Node 2i

Lovely system (and dog). But I doubt you are getting the best from it with the rear and side walls so close to such large speakers - is the room any larger in the other direction? If not, I suspect others might suggest treating the room somehow, and I'd be thinking about isolating the kit better from vibration.

Lovely system (and dog). But I doubt you are getting the best from it with the rear and side walls so close to such large speakers - is the room any larger in the other direction? If not, I suspect others might suggest treating the room somehow, and I'd be thinking about isolating the kit better from vibration.
The speakers certianly don't look right where they are (too close to the sidewall and possibly the rear wall). I would move both equipment racks slightly right and move the speakers out and closer together.
I would also get a nice rug on that floor.
Also the ?Labradoodle is not ideally placed... :cool:

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
The dog seems to agree with your critique...thanks for the comments. I have been told speakers should avoid corners but as the PMC OB1 (forgot to include these in the list) have forward bass ports and I tilted in that this may have been less of an issue.
The room is rectangular so I I have option to place the speakers and system on the longer wall, speakers would be under each window. Certainly worth experimenting with, and I can report here if noticeable improvement.
Aside from positioning curious if either could suggest other equipment areas that such a system may see a noticeable jump in performance.
I tend not to believe, for example, that Gaia speaker stands can make significant impact, but been reading maybe power conditioner really may do so, though unlikely to have chance to test with/without - or maybe yet another way to extract more money from ageing parent from kids inheritance.

Personally I think, forward firing ports or not, the closeness to sidewalls may be and issue. If you can test them along the long wall it will be interesting to see if you hear any improvement.
The Gaia isolators, I love mine, will be effective but it is more noticeable if you have a suspended wooden floor (mine are upstairs in a bedroom) and perhaps not so effective if speakers are on a solid floor.
I would avoid power conditioners, especially if you are in the UK, as I believe they have little to offer and can cost a fair bit. Mains regenerators are a different matter but then they really are silly money.
All that apart the most noticeable improvements to your system will be by replacing the actual sources, and looking at what you have that will not be cheap either. :)

You can be sure that someone else will be along in a moment suggesting room treatment........
P.S. really like your amplification.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I'm not replying to offer a critique or opinion, but seeing the OB1s with the 4BSST took me back!
I loved that pairing at the time, though I only had the ST version. They matched really well.
For what it's worth, I think 12th and AI have offered you sound advice.
You'd be surprised how much difference a large rug would make and also look at the isolation of the speakers. It looks like spikes straight on to the tiled floor. I'm not sure you'll get the best out of the low end like that. The Gaia III could really work for you.
I wasn't sure about these, but took a punt and have been really impressed.
I've just realised I've offered an opinion. I couldn't help myself! :LOL:

Reactions: Al ears

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Current system:
Turntable : Rega RP10 / Apheta 2
CD: Audioflight CD2
Amps :
Rega Aria
Bryston BP 25 Dac preamp
Bryston 4B SST power amp
Streamer : Bluesound Node 2i
I'm not replying to offer a critique or opinion, but seeing the OB1s with the 4BSST took me back!
I loved that pairing at the time, though I only had the ST version. They matched really well.
You'd be surprised how much difference a large rug would make and also look at the isolation of the speakers. It looks like spikes straight on to the tiled floor. I'm not sure you'll get the best out of the low end like that. The Gaia III could really work for you.

New room configuration. Speakers well away from corners... certainly seems like soundstage has improved, and vocals much more centric.
Thanks for all your advice/comments

Attachments

• 20210330_225948.jpg
    20210330_225948.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Clarkey_71

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Seems a consensus that Gaia III may be a possible upgrade without significant expense. Shall be changing the current hideous travertine stone tiled floor, left by previous owners, to something more wooden so could well notice greater improvement. Have acquired a rug meanwhile...

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi, curious to know what inspired you to upgrade from your OB1's to your new PMC's ? Was it just a windfall of cash or did you listen to both and notice a significant improvement that warranted the upgrade? I have heard a few PMC speakers and all sound good, but they jump sharply in price, yet with mostly same cabinets so, without the advantage of demo'ing them curious to get your opinion.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi, curious to know what inspired you to upgrade from your OB1's to your new PMC's ? Was it just a windfall of cash or did you listen to both and notice a significant improvement that warranted the upgrade? I have heard a few PMC speakers and all sound good, but they jump sharply in price, yet with mostly same cabinets so, without the advantage of demo'ing them curious to get your opinion.

I used the OB1s for well over a decade. They will always be one of my favourite purchases.
My local dealer sells The full range of PMC and I would often drop by for a look and a stroke!
They did set the 25/26s up for me once and I was just taken by the sound. Similar to the OB1s, but just on another level. And so they should be at that price!
I always promised myself a pair, but could never justify the high price.
It's bitter sweet, but I inherited some money and just new I was going to buy the 25/26s. I got a slight reduction, as they were ex dem by then.
The i series came out shortly after, but the upgrade doesn't satisfy the expense for me.
If the opportunity to upgrade hadn't come along, I would still be happy with the OB1s, but the 25/26s are a very special speaker.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts