Looking for an AMP that can be wirelessly controlled via a mobile phone?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for an amp that I can control (such as volume level) with an Android phone. I have just purchased a media centre PC so am using that for my TV. I control everything using my Android phone. It works over wifi by communicating with an Android server app I installed on the media centre. Now I want to try and find an amp that can be operated from my Android phone. Does anyone know of anything out there? I really hate having different remotes and want to be able to control everything via my phone.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that nothing exists in the stereo hi-fi amp market. You might find a network enabled AV receiver that can be controlled in such a way (the latest range of Sony blu-ray players can for example, so it stands to reason an amp could, but not sure if there are any out there currently).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, I am surprised nothing exists like this. Surely this feature will come?

Just out of interest what sony blu ray models alow this this?

A

Anonymous

I have done some more research and found that there are some network AV receivers that can be controlled by a phone. Yamaha have a few and Sony do. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzDsPpLCc8

I think all these models can be controlled via a phone:

Sony

STR-DA5600ES
STR-DA4600ES
STR-DA3600ES
STR-DN2010

Yamaha

Yamaha RX-V2065
Yamaha RX-Z7
Yamaha RX-V3900

The only problem is that the apps only seem to be available on the stupid iphone. Why they choose to ignore the fastest growing mobile OS is beyond me. Give me open sources any day over some Apple rubbish. So does anyone know if there is anything about for Android?

John Duncan

david151:Why they choose to ignore the fastest growing mobile OS is beyond me. Give me open sources any day over some Apple rubbish.

Which version of the fastest growing mobile OS? 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3? Or the bastardised versions put on some mobiles by manufacturers or network providers?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
david151:
Thanks for your reply, I am surprised nothing exists like this. Surely this feature will come?

Just out of interest what sony blu ray models alow this this?

To be honest I'm not at all surprised, hifi manufacturers tend to keep components as simple as possible so that the main job they are intended for is compromised to the minimum extent. Building network connectivity into a stereo amp just to permit control over the network would add cost and compromise performance. If you were going to do that then you might as well add the DAC, upnp client etc etc and then you end up with a product like the Naim Uniti/UniQute, which are fabulous, but totally different products. AV receivers are totally different beasts encompassing a wider range of functions by definition. I'm sure that control over the network is a by-product of little effort after they have already built network connectivity in to the product, as is also the case with the Blu-ray players.

I believe the latest range of Sony Blu-ray players (the '70) models allow this - mine for instance is the BDP-S570.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts