Looking for affordable amp to power new GX50s - considering Cambridge, Rotel, NuForce, ?

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm a longtime Monitor Audio fan and was fortunate to recently purchase brand new GX50s for half retail. That pleases me. I'm wanting to power them with a new amp but have limited bank, plus I live in Cape Town, SA so limited to a handful of brands and gear is pricey here. I want an integrated digital unit - I'm looking seriously at the new Cambridge CX A60 has enough (I think) of what I need at a price I can swing, but I can get Marantz, Rotel, NuForce units.

My current amp is a Marantz NR1402 AV unit (got also on the cheap, I sniff out the deals :)) ) which pushes my current KEF iQ30s (ditto on savings) well enough but I've already been wanting a 2 channel HiFi audio unit with a bit more power - and now I'm pretty sure the old 1402 will do no favors for the gx's.

I would appreciate any insight.

DCC said:
I'm a longtime Monitor Audio fan and was fortunate to recently purchase brand new GX50s for half retail. That pleases me. I'm wanting to power them with a new amp but have limited bank, plus I live in Cape Town, SA so limited to a handful of brands and gear is pricey here. I want an integrated digital unit - I'm looking seriously at the new Cambridge CX A60 has enough (I think) of what I need at a price I can swing, but I can get Marantz, Rotel, NuForce units.

My current amp is a Marantz NR1402 AV unit (got also on the cheap, I sniff out the deals :)) ) which pushes my current KEF iQ30s (ditto on savings) well enough but I've already been wanting a 2 channel HiFi audio unit with a bit more power - and now I'm pretty sure the old 1402 will do no favors for the gx's.

I would appreciate any insight.

Like you I'm a big MA fanboy. Fantastic speakers, but they do require some care wth partnering, so Cambridge and Rotel aren't the best matches IMO.

First, what is your max budget? What brands are available to you locally?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
For those who've not heard the Gx50's (compared to other MA models), their sound signature is quite different, so some traditional MA partners (like Arcam) may not work the best with the GX's.

They're quite refined actually but also need plenty of current to keep their surprisingly plentiful bass in control. One review particularly praised the Cambridge 851A with the Gx50's and the MA rep at the Bristol Show this year recommended Audiolab as a good partner. I wouldn't normally associate these brands' signatures with MA. At the ranges your looking at it'd certainly be worth looking at the Cambridge CX range. Unlike their Silver and Bronze cousins they need an amp that'll liven them up a little. If Roksan K2BT's are as well priced there as they are in the UK, they might be worth a look too because they've certainly got plenty of welly to prevent the bass from dominating the rest of the frequency range. I was told by the Roksan rep that the K2 BT is very close indeed internally to the K3 and quite a step up from the ordinary K2.

The only trouble with this price range of speaker is that although you're getting a bargain as such, their designers had in mind amps and sources that are in a similar price bracket, so they might not be so forgiving of lesser amplification.

I know this applies to any recommendation, but the advice to 'demo before purchasing' is a lot more valid here than most. I do think they're potentially great speakers, but they might sound quite dreadful with quite a few amps. They're more fussy than most, so if you're a keen internet deal buyer, beware of wasting money on stuff you've not had the chance to demo beforehand. You have been warned!

I have heard their bigger brothers (GX100) with Cyrus 8XP + PSX, and with a Arcam A19 (different shops) and have to say the Arcam would still be my choice for longer listening sessions.

In saying that my experience of ribbon tweeters is quite limited.

My choice for the GX range would be Creek, Roksan Kandy or Caspian, to lesser extent Leema....

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Answers - My max budget (without risking relationship) is GBP 600 - 650 which isn't much. I read also about CA 851 recommend, but over budget - the Roksans are 2 to 3 times my budget :/ - Arcam A19 is available but has no digital - within driving distance limited brand choice for listening sessions. The Cambridge CXA80s are affordable and well into the power reccomends of MA (50 to 100 at 8). I have no exp. with CA so was curious if anyone here has?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Always have a look at nad amps. They are ready available in cape town and id look at a 2nd hand c370 it has loads of power and current to drive them well. Cant remember the name of the shop but there is a dealer in platakloof area near tygervalley

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
DCC said:
Thanks for the input. Answers - My max budget (without risking relationship) is GBP 600 - 650 which isn't much. I read also about CA 851 recommend, but over budget - the Roksans are 2 to 3 times my budget :/ - Arcam A19 is available but has no digital - within driving distance limited brand choice for listening sessions. The Cambridge CXA80s are affordable and well into the power reccomends of MA (50 to 100 at 8). I have no exp. with CA so was curious if anyone here has?

Not heard them, but the CXA60 was reviewed in WhatHiFi recently, and got a glowing review with 5 stars. Worth a listen, Richer Sounds are doing them for £499 at the moment too!

TRENDING THREADS