Looking for advice re. new speakers for Rotel 1520 ( B&W 684, RX6, etc.)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
007L2Thrill:

Cheers max, my room is carpeted and soft furnishings so may be ok, saying that I have all metal dome tweeters in my speakers now and they are too smooth that's why I am looking for new speakers some with a little more energy in the treble and more deep bass.

I had a pair of mission 783 which was with my naim system a long time ago and they add soft dome tweeters and they could wipe the floor with my Tannoys I have now for energy output in there treble that's why I was thinking the harshness was due to the RX6, but will have to get a loan pair I think to try my self if possible.
emotion-4.gif

Glad you got a pair of speakers you like max as its all down to enjoyment.
emotion-2.gif

My room is carpeted and the RS6s sound fantastic through every amp I've heard over the years. Should be fine.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:

perhaps those that find them smooth do so because they are being used in a more damped envoirement, ie a room that's carpeted and has lots of soft furnishings. i wouldn't say they were smooth, they sounded bright and sometimes harsh (with high frequencies) in my room but the room could have been the reason for that.

i've since got some dynaudios that are smoother with no harshness at all, now the fact that they have a soft dome tweeter as opposed to the rx6s metal one may be the reason for that, although afaik the b&w 684s also have a metal tweeter yet many say they are smooth
emotion-8.gif

i also sit 3 metres from my speakers, and yes it was mainly at higher volumes that i found harshness in the highs with my rx6s, and primarily with music too, movies sounded great but i still prefer my current speakers for movies .
emotion-21.gif

This brightness is certainly what I encountered as well and I imagine it could be fatiguing after a while, especially at moderate to high volumes. The metal tweeters on the 684s were smooth by comparison and gave a very realistic reproduction of strings, tambourine, etc. It was this realism and overall balance across the highs/mids/lows that eventually swung the 684s for me, though I'll certainly need to be using those bungs.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
ah good man, 684s for me too! Had mine now for under a month and sound a hell of lot better then they were out of the box. I will admit, they did sound good straight out, but they were a little bright at first. Now, noticed on Saturday just gone, they sound a lot more musical for me. Everything sounded well rounded, they have the best from the Q500 ie treble & mids and the best from the Aviano 6, great bass. My sofa was shaking at the volume was only at 1/3.

Chester, if you first hear them and you don't like it...don't worry, give it sometime and listen to them come to life. I will repeat what people on here and at work have said to me, its better to hear your speakers run in rather than doing the method of reversing the current on 1 speaker and face each other etc etc. Enjoy them coming to life!

So far, I haven't been able to fault the speakers for the musical range, from Roots Manuva to Stereophonics, from Cinematic Orchestera to Jean Michael Jarre and from System of a Down to Bethoven. Yes I know what your thinking, 'Thats one weird taste in music'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts