Looking for a recommendation for amp to power some Kef Crestas

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I can't post!!! I have a set of Kef Cresta 1's; I'm looking for a decent 2 channel amp, used, for around £150 tops. My room is pretty bare, 25ft x 15ft in size. I mainly isten to hip hop, r&b and dance music. SQ is more importnant to me over voulme as I will be listening at low/medium volumes

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I would much prefer used equipment, late 80's if possible as I'm one of those guys who prefers buying second hand over new!

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
In that case give the likes of the Cyrus 2 or Arcam's A60 a go. They still sound good and the manufacturers can still service them. If you extend your budget, early generations of the Naim Nait are a possibility, too.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
castleview11 said:
For some reason I can't post!!! I have a set of Kef Cresta 1's; I'm looking for a decent 2 channel amp, used, for around £150 tops. My room is pretty bare, 25ft x 15ft in size. I mainly isten to hip hop, r&b and dance music. SQ is more importnant to me over voulme as I will be listening at low/medium volumes

I experienced the same bc the subject title was 2 characters longer than the maximum 64 ;)

What you probably aiming at is the first empty posyt; that's a known issue....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
My parents used to have an Aiwa amp with the Kef Crestas. If my memory serves me right, it sounded lovely: quite warm and cosy.

I'm still running Cresta 2s and a C as my fronts for my system. I wouldn't exactly describe them as warm and cosy but that may be down to the amp I'm using (Sony STR-930 AV amp of similar vintage). Quite surprised to see Ketan recommend a Cyrus or NAIM amp, I didn't realise the Cresta range was aimed quite that high.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Superaintit said:
My parents used to have an Aiwa amp with the Kef Crestas. If my memory serves me right, it sounded lovely: quite warm and cosy.

I'm still running Cresta 2s and a C as my fronts for my system. I wouldn't exactly describe them as warm and cosy but that may be down to the amp I'm using (Sony STR-930 AV amp of similar vintage). Quite surprised to see Ketan recommend a Cyrus or NAIM amp, I didn't realise the Cresta range was aimed quite that high.

Must have been warm memories then :)

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
In that case give the likes of the Cyrus 2 or Arcam's A60 a go. They still sound good and the manufacturers can still service them. If you extend your budget, early generations of the Naim Nait are a possibility, too.

Thanks for your advice; A friend at a party NYE actually suggested an A60 but I haven't been able to locate one at all!! I was also looking at Marantz amps ie PM-44se or 45, as there are enough of them kicking about to find one in good condition.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I'm still running Cresta 2s and a C as my fronts for my system. I wouldn't exactly describe them as warm and cosy but that may be down to the amp I'm using (Sony STR-930 AV amp of similar vintage).

Good receiver, even in stereo. I am doing some changes to one at the moment. Looking for a non-worker as I need a 2nd trafo.

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:
I'm still running Cresta 2s and a C as my fronts for my system. I wouldn't exactly describe them as warm and cosy but that may be down to the amp I'm using (Sony STR-930 AV amp of similar vintage).

Good receiver, even in stereo. I am doing some changes to one at the moment.

Oooh, what sort of changes? Must admit I've never found it lacking in stereo, probably part of the reason I've been reluctant to change it. The main part being I'm too damn lazy obviously...

Looking for a non-worker as I need a 2nd trafo.

A 2nd what?

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:

Oooh, what sort of changes? Must admit I've never found it lacking in stereo, probably part of the reason I've been reluctant to change it. The main part being I'm too damn lazy obviously...

A 2nd what?

Oi stop hijacking me thread!! ;-)

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
drummerman said:
The_Lhc said:

A 2nd what?

Oi stop hijacking me thread!! ;-)

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Superaintit said:

I have crests 2s and c as my fronts on my main av system I bought a kef 2005 egg speaker system and it was ok for films but no good music DVDs so I refitted the cre stas which sound. Very good , I offered a newbie a pair of crests ones foc but din't get a response

castleview11

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
eggontoast said:
A&R A60 is a good choice and maybe a Creek CAS4040 would be worth considering too.

Thanks....the A60 seems to get quite a mention, and I really like the look of the Creek, in fact there is one on fleabay only 20 miles from me....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts