Looking for a new hifi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and am looking to purchase a hifi separates system. Looking to spend up to £1000 max but only it if it really worth it. would probably rather spend more like £500 if I could get something good.

Probably looking to get a CD player, amp and speakers (+ stands if bookshelf speakers) and all cables etc. Would just use my ipod classic instead of cd player if sound quality would be good.

Have been to audio xcellence in cardiff and demo'd NAD C315BEE with NAD C525BEE with two different speakers.

Fistly Kef IQ5SE which i found sounded really harsh (good for voices but awful for rock music) My ears felt pained afterwards!!

Then I tried B&W685s which sounded much better for a range of music and not harsh.

I like to listen to a range of music, mostly rock, some electronic,

The deal for NAD C315BEE, C515BEE, B&W685, Atacama stands. chord crimson, and some decent speaker cable would probably come in at about £800 with 3 year warranty.

I can't help thinking that I should listen to more different products before I make the purchase but the shop i went to didn't seem to have much in my price range! (all too expensive).

Does anybody know of any other good shops in Cardiff area where I could demo more stuff. (Richer Sounds in cardiff is the smallest shop in the history of hifi (probably!) and has no demo room.

One thing I really want to avoid is a system that sounds harsh (is the term bright!?).

Are the amp and cd player a bit cheap for the speakers?

Oh i also listened to NAD C325BEE (but did not sound any different to C315BEE to me) Also tried B&W686 speakers but was not impressed! The B&W685 sounded so much better in every way.

Also seen MS 906i floorstanders for £200, could get cambridge audio just wish they had demo room!

Anyway.......bit of a ramble I know but would really appreciate any advice!

Tempted by the system I suggested above, but just not certain. If anybody knows of where I could demo any of there suggestions in Cardiff area that would help as I would definitely want to hear anything before buying.

Thanks for reading! Look forward to your responses!

A

Anonymous

The cd player you need is the arcam cd73 which can be had for £250 and listen maybe to the rega brio for £330 with the b & w 685

matthewpiano

The system you suggest looks fine, although I'd listen a bit more to the C325BEE if I were you. Its a superb amp for the money and I think over time it would more than pay for itself in pleasure. With regards Cambridge Audio, if you can stretch to the system I've got (740C and 740A with MS914i speakers, available as a system for 999.95 from Richers), go for it. If you are talking about their lower range stuff I'd stick with NAD because the 540A and 640A have a tendency towards harshness.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions, is there a particular reason why you suggested these?

A

Anonymous

I bought the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A V2. and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 and Celestion F30's from Richersound of Nottingham two years ago and i have yet to hear anything better for the price i payed for this system(£500) plus some Cambridge phono leads chucked in!!!!

A

Anonymous

matt444_2000:The cd player you need is the arcam cd73 which can be had for £250 and listen maybe to the rega brio for £330 with the b & w 685

Thanks for your quick response, any particular reason why you suggested these?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The system you suggest looks fine, although I'd listen a bit more to the C325BEE if I were you. Its a superb amp for the money and I think over time it would more than pay for itself in pleasure. With regards Cambridge Audio, if you can stretch to the system I've got (740C and 740A with MS914i speakers, available as a system for 999.95 from Richers), go for it. If you are talking about their lower range stuff I'd stick with NAD because the 540A and 640A have a tendency towards harshness.

Thanks Matthew, is there a reason why the C325BEE is much better than the C315BEE (it is a bit more powerful I know)

A

Anonymous

Any other suggestions or advice welcomed!
emotion-2.gif

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I think you would get along very well with the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. It seems that you are sensitive to bright speakers, and in that case I would avoid any Mordaunt Short's. Mate the 9.1's with the NAD amp and see if you like it.

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:I think you would get along very well with the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. It seems that you are sensitive to bright speakers, and in that case I would avoid any Mordaunt Short's. Mate the 9.1's with the NAD amp and see if you like it.

Yes I think I am sensitive to bright speakers. Even found my ipod classic a bit bright at first and my Harmon Kardon hifi in my mini is a bit on the harsh side for me although am getting used to them.

I'll try and give the Wharfedales a go if I can find somewhere in cardiff that has them and demo room. I should have mentioned that my room is fairly big. It is an open plan flat in an L shape. The sitting area is around 5x5m, similar for dining area and then a kitchen around the corner. Would I need a fairly powerful system for such a space? Although would not want to annoy my neighbours too much!
emotion-20.gif

A

Anonymous

Another thumbs up for the NAD combo, all works great with B & W kit here.

Best bet is to get as much listening time of kit you can however if buying new.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for more suggestions. Will defo try and demo the wharfdale's (if i can find another audio shop in cardiff with a demo room)

Are there other amps/cd players that i should consider, bearing in mind i want to avoid a bright sound and like rock (white stripes, kings of leon, nirvana) and some elctronic (daft punk, lcd soundsystem). Would therefore like decent bass

Would rotel or marantz be a good option or brighter sound than nad?

T

the record spot

Used market gets you a good mix of higher grade gear for a knockdown price. Often, new or ex-display on offer. Stunning Arcam offer at Glasgow Audio recently (I listed it on the Hot Deals section) and likewise at Harrow Audio in London. Glasgow Audio (and their Aberdeen counterpart, Holborn Hifi) are BADA members I think.

I'm often surprised at what the used or ex-display market can net you; yes, there's the current flavours of the month, but dig around a little and you can turn up some real gems. It's part of the fun and should be on anyone's list who's looking and definitely at your price point. Many dealers also offer a warranty so it's worth checking out.

The rest of what's currently available you'll probably be aware of!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Used market gets you a good mix of higher grade gear for a knockdown price. Often, new or ex-display on offer. Stunning Arcam offer at Glasgow Audio recently (I listed it on the Hot Deals section) and likewise at Harrow Audio in London. Glasgow Audio (and their Aberdeen counterpart, Holborn Hifi) are BADA members I think. I'm often surprised at what the used or ex-display market can net you; yes, there's the current flavours of the month, but dig around a little and you can turn up some real gems. It's part of the fun and should be on anyone's list who's looking and definitely at your price point. Many dealers also offer a warranty so it's worth checking out. The rest of what's currently available you'll probably be aware of!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for some bargains!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts