looking for a new headphone

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello ,

i m looking to upgrade the headphone i m using now ( AKG 240M) but not sure what kind to pick.

As an amp i use the cyrus pre amp with the extra power supply and a cd7 from cyrus as player.

i ve read some things about the Grado but i m not sure if these are comfortible enough. It would be a great help to read your ideas.

tanks for the help

A

Anonymous

Hello. Depending on how much you are wanting to spend on headphones, may I recommend the Grado SR60 using a good headphone amp, I use mine with a QED 45 and the sound from the Grados' is something really special, better than my Senn's 580s. With the mag giving the Grados a consent 5 stars, you really can't go wrong with these headphones.

Ed

A

Anonymous

thanks for the advice,

i wanted to test a Grado , not sure what type .do you think is worth buying a headphone amp too ?

The Cyrus is a good pre amp but maybe a a special headphone amp is better ?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
There are a couple of dedicated headphone amps we've tested that are worth considering.

Depending on your budget, the Pro-ject Head Box MkII is great value at £75, or you could spend more on the Creek OBH-21 (£190) or Creek OBH-21SE (£250). We've given them all 5 stars.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Go for an Alessandro ms1 which is made by Grado labs specifically for them., more neutral than grado and more comfortable.

There is high praise for these headphones on dedicated headphone sites such as headfi.org

They are 99$ but the good news is free shipping world wide. so for 50 pounds your getting a top headphone - they are better than the grado sr60 and sr80 and more comparable to the sr225.

A

Anonymous

thanks for all the advice

now i m thinking about buying a new headphone or maybe one of the suggested headphone amps.

Not sure if the pre amp i m using now has a good enough headphone output to drive a descent headphone.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

I can't decide between Grado SR80, SR125 and Sennheiser 595, I am planing to use with PC with Creative XtremeMusic card and may be Ipod. Is it true GRado require headphone Amp? can these be used with Ipod as standalone?

I already have Shure 4C but need over-the-head for PC I need absolutely clarity and punchy bass? Please help.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Grado's don't require an amp, they do benefit from one, but out of the ones you've listed not one would absolutely need an amp to function well.

That said, imho it's pretty pointless to point out a clear winner, SR80 an SR125 both sound great, but the 125's are extremely bright and agressive. I was torn between the SR60 and the 125, and decided upon the SR60's for that sole reason. Clarity and detail was better on the SR125's indeed, but they were just too bright for my ears to handle. I've also heard the 595's, and I didn't like those at all.

All I'm trying to say is this; find a store that stocks those headphones, bring some of your favourite cd's and listen to them extensively.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jan, Unfortunately I can't try out Grado as I am planing to buy these over internet via amazon, but thanks for advise regarding Grado 60 I too sometime get annoyed with harshness of mp3 but can't help as these are so convenient that I don't list to my Arcam/Rega anymore.

So to sum up Grado doesn't require dedicated head-amp now chosing between Grado 60 80 or 125 if bass is more important then would do you prefer?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Go for an Alessandro as they are on a par with the Grado sr225s. Made by Grado Labs in conjunmction with Alessandro. They are tonally more accurate than the sr60 and sr80

Check out the alessandro website and slo headfi.org for reviews etc as they are highly regarded. They will blow the sr60 and sr80 in all aspects - the sound is so much better than these 2 grados. Yours for 99 dollars which is 50 quid including FREE shipping.

Do not waste your money on the Grados. I cannot stress this enough. You will have more headphone for your money withthe Alessandro. I have the MS2i which is phenomenal.

A

Anonymous

Do they ship internationally?

First time I will be buying something which doesn't bear the 5 star tag of WHF, but since these are also made by Grado I would take my chances.

Thanks for references

A

Anonymous

Hello. I am also thinking along the same lines as you regarding the Allessandro headphones and a headphone amp. I have Grado P60's and I'm thinking about an upgrade.Please keep me posted on your findings.Many Thanks.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Alessandro MS1 or MS2i all the way in my experience. Best phone under 450 pounds only beaten by Grado rs1 and Grado gs1000 .

You will not regret the purchase. I have owned mine for over 2 yrs and use it in conjunction with the Gilmore Lite headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info, can you tell me the difference between the Alessandro MS 1 , and the MS2i, including the price difference I'm using Grado 60's and I'm looking for a upgrade , what would you recommend ? Thanks.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Differences between ms1 and ms2 is mainly in the bass extension and mids. MS1 Is comparable to the sr125 whereas the MS2 is comaprable to the sr325 or rs2. Hope this helps. Whether you want to spend an extra one hundred pounds on maybe a 10 - 15 % in increased performance only you can decide.

I personally would go MS2 as you would be wondering what would they sound like. These phones will last you for a long long time.

299 dollars free shipping worldwide - I would not even worry about customs as

1. Alessandro mark them as 99 dollars to cut customs fee

2 I never even had customs and duty charges :) A lot of headphone get let in.

If you did have to pay customs you are looking at about 10 pounds.

Go for MS2 is my advice.

A

Anonymous

I have Alessandro MS1 and some old Sennheisser HD565 Ovations and I prefer the Sennheisers. In fact I rarely use the MS1, only bought them because the cable on the 565s got a bad connection. Ended up getting a new cable. Never tried Grados though, they're quite expensive in the UK compared to the USA which has always put me off.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help regarding the Alessandro Headphones and I'm sold on the MS2s as I was going to upgrade to the Grado 225s.You also mentioned a Gilmore Lite headphone amp , where do you buy one of these from and how much are they? Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Thaks for all that I've looked at the site ,read the review and I'm impressed, can you tell me if you have the standard Power supply that comes with it , if so how long is the lead. Or do you have the dedicated power supply if so what is the advantage of that and also how long is the lead .Thanks again.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Stick with the supplied power cable etc. I was thinking of upgrading the power supply but I have heard it does not increase performance by very much at all.

You will be more than happy with this item.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts