Looking for a new amp around £200-300?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
HI guys, im potentially considering purchasing a new amp for my bedroom. i currently have the marantz pm4200 and as i am doing my room up thought i could perhaps change the amp too. i dont mind looking second hand if i can get more for my money but not to old an amp.

So which amps would you reccomend for this price range second hand? my ideal would be a musical fidelity a3 but not sure if i could pick that up unde £300.

Thanks.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
thnx for the reply, current speakers are mission m71's although i may change them too! source will be ipod touch 5th gen . im most likely goin to buy online second hand to get the most from my budget.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
no i havent actually how well do active speakers perform compared to dedicated amps etc? it could be an option as it would save more room. Can you pick up decent active speakers in my price range?

yhh the pm6004 seems a decent amp and can be had pretty cheap so thats an option also .

krish123 said:
no i havent actually how well do active speakers perform compared to dedicated amps etc? it could be an option as it would save more room. Can you pick up decent active speakers in my price range?

Look at the link I posted.

How good are they? No personal experience but for some people there's no better ITO.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
how do u think an amp such as the marantz pm6004 would perform against a second hand amp like the musical fidelity a3? do u think the marantz would match the MF for sound quality or is still slightly off?

krish123 said:
how do u think an amp such as the marantz pm6004 would perform against a second hand amp like the musical fidelity a3? do u think the marantz would match the MF for sound quality or is still slightly off?

Having heard the A300 (£1300 amp when new) I'd say, based on that experience, it didn't have the all-round game to better my £400 Arcam. Had loads of power but the tonal quality was well....

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
right ok, so your implying that perhaps newer amps of tday shud out perform an older amp such as the a3. See iv heard the a3 and was very impressed with its sound quality .

A

Anonymous

krish123 said:
right ok, so your implying that perhaps newer amps of tday shud out perform an older amp such as the a3. See iv heard the a3 and was very impressed with its sound quality .

So why ask the question?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The main reason for mentioning purchasing from a dealer is because you a warranty, where if you buy from auction sites you're not guaranteed that.

Have you thought about active speakers?

Those are not true active but powered speakers, I have heard the Maxi version and was not that impressed how they got a 5 star review I don't know but they had lots of bass and at £350 reduced from £600 were good value.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
because i havent heard the marantz in comparison so dont kno which one is better. I was happy to settle with the marantz but i have heard problems with a slight crackling noise at low level from the speakers so now not so sure. :/

Callan

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Onkyo a9030 £169 richer sounds bargen price for a top sound and looks. I have onkyo a9050 £350 it might be a bit cheaper somewere. £329+ but still bargen at 350 for what you get banging peace of kit :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts