Looking for a micro system with phono inputs...any ideas??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm after a micro system for my office/2nd bedroom, but I'd like it to have phono inputs as I've started to buy a lot of second hand vinyl recently and need something to play it on. i''ve got a mini system at the minute but it's just got an aux input.

The turntable i'm hoping to get is a Pro-ject Genie 2 - i'm not sure if this affects things in terms of phone stage?

Any suggestions? thanks in advance!

manicm

Forget it, not in the cheaper ones anyway. But you can get a compact phono amp from NAD or Cambridge Audio, and they won't hurt your wallet, eyes or furniture either. It's the best bet.

Look, I'm being facetious here, but what the heck do you want to play vinyl in your 2nd rooms for ? :)

Or you're a vinyl junkie? Well then power to you!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Sort of depends on the deck you have. My nasty Sony mindeck (wife has a bit of vinyl still) has a built-in preamp so works fine with the Denon DM37 I have. For a normal deck though you will need a seperate preamp. The only other deck I know of that came with built in amp was the Goodmans one similar to the Sony.

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Genie II does not have a phono preamp, nor does the Denon so it will not work. Best option is probably to buy a separate phono preamp as suggested if a full size amp is out of the question.

A

Anonymous

my current system has Aux inputs on the rear panel - i didnt think you could connect turntables to aux inputs? how come yours worked just going into the front (or back aux input)?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
badboyhouse:my current system has Aux inputs on the rear panel - i didnt think you could connect turntables to aux inputs? how come yours worked just going into the front (or back aux input)?

Expect I was editing my post when you put yours up. Realised my error almost immediately.

A

Anonymous

ah i see.

so am i right in saying that to be able to use the aux inputs on my current system i'll need a pre-amp in between the sound system and the turntable?

manicm

badboyhouse:

ah i see.

so am i right in saying that to be able to use the aux inputs on my current system i'll need a pre-amp in between the sound system and the turntable?

Exactly, and the NAD or CA ones are cheap and cheerful and can be kept out of sight too - they're small.

A

Anonymous

excellent

do you have any links to any phono pre-amps? not expensive ones though - not at this stage anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts