Looking for 65inch 4k non-OLED TV for around 750 GBP

Bogey

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

the time has come to replace our old 40" Philips TV. I've tried reading up slightly, but am still quite a dummy when it comes to TV technology.

I'm looking for:
- No OLED (I'm the kind of person who'd absolutely obsess about potential burn in. Also, TV will be right next to huge window fronts, I'm not sure if OLED would even shine as much in those circumstances)
- I've heard good things about HDR (but am not really informed enough to decide if its really important/worth it in my price region)
- I'm using an external amp/sound system, so integrated sound isn't important at all to me
- Ambilight sounds pretty cool to me. Not crucially important though, if other manufacturers are much better
- Integrated Chromecast would be a nice benefit (I have an external chromecast at the moment, but only the 1080p version)

Our main use case (>90%) by far is Netflix, Prime, Youtube. In the future, maybe some casual PS5 gaming every now and then.

Ideally, I'd like to spend up to 750 GBP.
If I can get away with less without compromising all too much on noticeable quality differences, even better. On the other hand, if there are huge price/value benefits, I could potentially up the budget around 1,000, but would of course prefer not to.

My, err, extensive research (also known as: Reading up on reviews, which all list entirely different TVs; then just going to amazon and applying basic filters -> sort by rating) was going into the general direction of Samsung TU8500 or Q60T. Then again, I feel like Samsung often means paying quite a premium for brand name, so I'm not sure if I could the same quality for less - or better quality for the same.

Would be grateful about some recommendations! As probably obvious from the currency: The TVs would need to be available in the UK.
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi,

the time has come to replace our old 40" Philips TV. I've tried reading up slightly, but am still quite a dummy when it comes to TV technology.

I'm looking for:
- No OLED (I'm the kind of person who'd absolutely obsess about potential burn in. Also, TV will be right next to huge window fronts, I'm not sure if OLED would even shine as much in those circumstances)
- I've heard good things about HDR (but am not really informed enough to decide if its really important/worth it in my price region)
- I'm using an external amp/sound system, so integrated sound isn't important at all to me
- Ambilight sounds pretty cool to me. Not crucially important though, if other manufacturers are much better
- Integrated Chromecast would be a nice benefit (I have an external chromecast at the moment, but only the 1080p version)

Our main use case (>90%) by far is Netflix, Prime, Youtube. In the future, maybe some casual PS5 gaming every now and then.

Ideally, I'd like to spend up to 750 GBP.
If I can get away with less without compromising all too much on noticeable quality differences, even better. On the other hand, if there are huge price/value benefits, I could potentially up the budget around 1,000, but would of course prefer not to.

My, err, extensive research (also known as: Reading up on reviews, which all list entirely different TVs; then just going to amazon and applying basic filters -> sort by rating) was going into the general direction of Samsung TU8500 or Q60T. Then again, I feel like Samsung often means paying quite a premium for brand name, so I'm not sure if I could the same quality for less - or better quality for the same.

Would be grateful about some recommendations! As probably obvious from the currency: The TVs would need to be available in the UK.
Thanks!
To be honest I am not sure if there is a TV that fits your budget and criteria. I am having a problem of thinking of one. Perhaps the Sony 65X9005 comes closest. I will just check on price. This Sony seems to be out of stock now!

D

Deleted member 2457

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bogey

Bogey

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site

Thanks, that one looks quite interesting. That'd still be within our slightly extended budget.

It seems to review very well. I'm guessing the Sony TV would have the edge against, say, a Samsung QE65Q70T, in spite of the latter being QLED?

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks, that one looks quite interesting. That'd still be within our slightly extended budget.

It seems to review very well. I'm guessing the Sony TV would have the edge against, say, a Samsung QE65Q70T, in spite of the latter being QLED?
Yes, the Sony will be the better TV and you can use new generation gaming features too. The only thing I think any TV does not do is Chromecast I think you can have to buy that separately.

Reactions: Bogey

Bogey

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Yes, the Sony will be the better TV and you can use new generation gaming features too. The only thing I think any TV does not do is Chromecast I think you can have to buy that separately.

Thanks a lot!

Unless anyone else jumps in to convince me otherwise, I think we'll be going for the Sony then.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The Sony XH900 is a very good TV for the money. You will get a nice HDR performance and solid motion on this set. If the 65" is no longer available.

The Panasonic TX-65HX800 has both HDR10+/ Dolby Vision. The Pana hits the sweet spot between features, performance and price. It's an excellent mid-range set 👇🏻

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts