lol... o.k, where is it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
It is a fact though that, even if there cannot be any differences, people's enjoyment of something can be increased just by a factor such as price (link - it's about wine, but the same principle applies). This is a real effect, not an imagined one. So whether (a) is right or wrong, something in (b) does actually somehow make a difference to sound - the question is if someone is willing to pay extra for hifi cables that give that effect (by whatever means it actually happens), should this be an issue that requires endless debate on this forum?

couldn't agree more. I think the issue is that some people have a hard time accepting that, or just refuse to becuase i guess in their mind it means they are "wrong" somehow. they aren't, in fact, I'd say they are in a more special place than those that don't in a way. however, without acceptance of those things, things will keep going round in circles. :roll:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
So whether (a) is right or wrong, something in (b) does actually somehow make a difference to sound

Just as a correction to the above, this should of course say:

So whether (a) is right or wrong, something in (b) does actually somehow make a difference to our perception / enjoyment of the sound

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
There is always two sides at work here:

(a) basic science says cables can't make a difference - unfortunately my elementary physics knowledge is not even good enough to know this by myself, so I have to take other people's word for it.

(b) Some people can hear a difference, but this is put down to the observer expectancy effect / placebo effect - whatever you want to call it. These effects are real so people should at least be willing to accept this may also be true, or it could be that the cables are actually making a difference somehow (in some manner which we have as yet not discovered).

It is a fact though that, even if there cannot be any differences, people's enjoyment of something can be increased just by a factor such as price (link - it's about wine, but the same principle applies). This is a real effect, not an imagined one. So whether (a) is right or wrong, something in (b) does actually somehow make a difference to sound - the question is if someone is willing to pay extra for hifi cables that give that effect (by whatever means it actually happens), should this be an issue that requires endless debate on this forum?

Quite right professor.

There is plenty of evidence to show that cables make no discernable difference in the form of blind testing but this evidence is dismissed for the usual audiofool reasons, system poorly set up/not good enough, unreal test circumstances, stress etc, etc.

I find the psycological effects quite real too, for example I have always insisted on speaker cables of equal length, if they are not I am quite sure that the soundstage is skewed to one side. This is quite 'real' and I find it hard to listen to such a system.

I therefore always use cables of the same length, problem goes away, it works. This is despite the fact that, in informal blind tests I can tell no difference when cables of unequal length are substituted, ie comparing 3m + 3m to 3m + 10m, nor can I hear a change when the 3m + 10m cables are swapped, side to side, (or not).

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Broner said:
I could hear the difference in a cable upgrade in my very first system years ago consisting of a NAD 3020 (the original) so there is no doubt that quality of your components is plenty good enough to show out differences in cables.

And here we are back to what’s really wrong with the way you reason. You think you know, because you have switched your cables and you’ve heard a difference. According to yourself, there is even no doubt about it

What’s really tiresome is that people such as the editors of Whatshifi and yourself don’t seem to grasp the significance of what’s actually scientifically and technologically relevant, nor seem to understand what the limitations and validity are of one’s experience. Furthermore, anyone who hasn’t participated in a properly executed blind test with statistical significance and claims that cables do make an audible difference (between cables with basic adequate specifications), is making a statement that lacks substantiation (obviously, this also applies to you).

People can explain this to you a thousand times, and still you would go back to your basic premise that you won’t dare to question: ‘I’ve heard a difference, so cables do make a difference’.

People can explain this to you a thousand times, and still you would go back to your basic premise that you won't dare to let your ears hear any difference because there can't be any difference (or so you say based on your arrogant believe that you know all there possibly can about the subject).

I'm sure that most professors and PhD holders would not be arrogant enough to claim that they know everything there is to know about their area of expertise but somehow you guys have the arrogance to claim you know everything based on your Electrical 101 knowledge.

It doesn't really matter what I would refuse to hear or not. It's not about the people who claim they don't hear a difference, for that equally proves nothing. It is about what's scientifically and technologically possible and about whether people hear something under the right circumstances (testing conditions) and about postponing any definitive judgments about the cables' abilities to cause significant audible differences, until you have participated in such a test (unless you can base yourself on numerous other tests, because I really don't need to test for quantum effects myself to know that they exist).

Again, I ask you: why is it that you are unwilling to challenge your basic premise?: 'I’ve heard a difference, so cables do make a difference’

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
hifikrazy said:
I'm sure that most professors and PhD holders would not be arrogant enough to claim that they know everything there is to know about their area of expertise...

had to address this one seperately. Yes they do, and they will even carry on to do so even if the evidence points to the opposite. It happens all the time in the academic world as professors and doctors rely on their work for their repuatation and will defend it even if they are wrong. In fact, they are probably the worst people for doing this. It can take quite a long time before views are changed and sometimes they have to wait for the current crop of older more established people to die before they can move on.

Good point well made. Doctors are a good case in point, especially the ones who consider themselves scientists. In the internet age it's perfectly possible for Joe Public to know more about an area of medicine than their Dr.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Alec said:
cheeseboy said:
hifikrazy said:
I'm sure that most professors and PhD holders would not be arrogant enough to claim that they know everything there is to know about their area of expertise...

had to address this one seperately. Yes they do, and they will even carry on to do so even if the evidence points to the opposite. It happens all the time in the academic world as professors and doctors rely on their work for their repuatation and will defend it even if they are wrong. In fact, they are probably the worst people for doing this. It can take quite a long time before views are changed and sometimes they have to wait for the current crop of older more established people to die before they can move on.

Good point well made. Doctors are a good case in point, especially the ones who consider themselves scientists. In the internet age it's perfectly possible for Joe Public to know more about an area of medicine than their Dr.

True. Another effect of the internet age is the rise of many groups of people with a lot of superficial knowledge, but without the competence to distinguish good from bad information. Anyone can find supporting 'facts' for any position on the internet. The internet truly was a marvelous gift for conspiracy theorists.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
hifikrazy said:

My point is that these people are constantly researching. If they already think they know everything there is to know about the subject, then there would be no need for any more research.

T

the record spot

Whatever. I just got tickets for Kate Bush in September. Hotel booked and currently on Skyscanner for flights. Bwahahahahahahaha!! :)

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, of course cables can make a difference.

Try replacing the coax from your skybox to the dish on the roof with mains twin and earth and see how well it works, or using unscreened cable for your interconnects, or signal lead to connect up your cooker. Obviously it matters.

Where the problem arises is when two perfectly adequately specified cables 'apparently' have remarkable differences. Absent silly wire-weaves or bamboo spacers, all speaker cable is generally of the same construction, and therefore generally has the same electrical parameters. The only major difference is thickness, and therefore resistance.

All this 'it sounds lean/bright/dull' (delete as applicable) for wires of similar thickness is very unlikley to be due to the wire.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
Whatever. I just got tickets for Kate Bush in September. Hotel booked and currently on Skyscanner for flights. Bwahahahahahahaha!! :)

I'll stay in and listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBviQXfuu3c

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
My point is that these people are constantly researching. If they already think they know everything there is to know about the subject, then there would be no need for any more research.

you missed what I said. Some of them do think they know everything and refuse to accept anything else and that no further research is needed. Apologies for going off topic, but I've worked with enough Doctors and Professors to know this.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
hifikrazy said:

you missed what I said. Some of them do think they know everything and refuse to accept anything else and that no further research is needed. Apologies for going off topic, but I've worked with enough Doctors and Professors to know this.

Fair enough

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Well, people have all sorts of reasons for holding and expressing opinions, and even the cleverest people can get things quite wrong. Newton was a Christian mystic and believed in alchemy.

But as I'm sure you know from your extensive experience, the academic world has tried and tested methods for ensuring that the truth does eventually win out (e.g. anonymous peer review). Unlike the internet, of course, where all sorts of nonsense continues to do the rounds.

Could I ask in what capacity you have had contact with all these professors?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
matt49 said:
cheeseboy said:

Well, people have all sorts of reasons for holding and expressing opinions, and even the cleverest people can get things quite wrong. Newton was a Christian mystic and believed in alchemy.

But as I'm sure you know from your extensive experience, the academic world has tried and tested methods for ensuring that the truth does eventually win out (e.g. anonymous peer review). Unlike the internet, of course, where all sorts of nonsense continues to do the rounds.

That really depends what area of science you're talking about, and peer review is often not so anonymous, and can often mean no more than "so, someone read this study".

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Broner said:
I could hear the difference in a cable upgrade in my very first system years ago consisting of a NAD 3020 (the original) so there is no doubt that quality of your components is plenty good enough to show out differences in cables.

And here we are back to what’s really wrong with the way you reason. You think you know, because you have switched your cables and you’ve heard a difference. According to yourself, there is even no doubt about it

What’s really tiresome is that people such as the editors of Whatshifi and yourself don’t seem to grasp the significance of what’s actually scientifically and technologically relevant, nor seem to understand what the limitations and validity are of one’s experience. Furthermore, anyone who hasn’t participated in a properly executed blind test with statistical significance and claims that cables do make an audible difference (between cables with basic adequate specifications), is making a statement that lacks substantiation (obviously, this also applies to you).

People can explain this to you a thousand times, and still you would go back to your basic premise that you won’t dare to question: ‘I’ve heard a difference, so cables do make a difference’.

To me at least, this is one of the most difficult aspects of Hi Fi as a hobby to grasp. The idea that my ears (actually brain) could be easily fooled took me a long time to get. I am guilty of repeating the mantra of "trust your own ears" myself but hell, one's own experience is very powerful so perhaps we should be sympathetic to those who believe this. What else can we suggest to others - just read the (selectively imcomplete) specs?

A week or so back in another thread, a linked YouTube video was debunking audiofoolery & in particular some of the subjective expressions used such as "fast bass" as being meaningless but just how are Hi Fi hobbyists expected to describe certain aspects of how a system sounds without being able to make their own measurements? They can't so quite naturally try describe in terms of their own experience. I personally don't have a problem with that when it describes a particular aspect but I do object to fairly vague phrases such as "having a digital sound".

One or two people here have accused others with some obvious scientific/engineering background as be arrogant which is laughable from those with obviously little to no knowledge! As has been pointed out: many will believe in the engineering that's used to sucessfully design the equipment that (hopefully) allows our musical enjoyment in the first place but want to pick & choose the same widely understood principles that suggest similarly made cables must by definition sound very similar if not identical. Surely those with some rather than little understanding, will have a better idea of any weaknesses in current theory? A good engineer will rarely say something is impossible but will explain why it's improbable.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
Broner said:

To me at least, this is one of the most difficult aspects of Hi Fi as a hobby to grasp. The idea that my ears (actually brain) could be easily fooled took me a long time to get. I am guilty of repeating the mantra of "trust your own ears" myself but hell, one's own experience is very powerful so perhaps we should be sympathetic to those who believe this. What else can we suggest to others - just read the (selectively imcomplete) specs?

A week or so back in another thread, a linked YouTube video was debunking audiofoolery & in particular some of the subjective expressions used such as "fast bass" as being meaningless but just how are Hi Fi hobbyists expected to describe certain aspects of how a system sounds without being able to make their own measurements? They can't so quite naturally try describe in terms of their own experience. I personally don't have a problem with that when it describes a particular aspect but I do object to fairly vague phrases such as "having a digital sound".

One or two people here have accused others with some obvious scientific/engineering background as be arrogant which is laughable from those with obviously little to no knowledge! As has been pointed out: many will believe in the engineering that's used to sucessfully design the equipment that (hopefully) allows our musical enjoyment in the first place but want to pick & choose the same widely understood principles that suggest similarly made cables must by definition sound very similar if not identical. Surely those with some rather than little understanding, will have a better idea of any weaknesses in current theory? A good engineer will rarely say something is impossible but will explain why it's improbable.

Nice post.

I am reminded of the quote from reknowned author Arther C. Clarke.

Hi-fi systems are not only stranger than we think, but they are stranger than we can think.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

sure, but not to give out too much detail if possible. It was basically a state funded network (HE) working to improve lecturing etc, so dealing with large research units across all all types of subject areas across most of the universities in the UK....

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
Broner said:

Great reply! Many people find it extremely difficult to deal with the notion that their experiences could be wrong. When you think you see or hear something clearly, it is hard to accept from somebody else, who hasn't been there with you in your room, listening to your equipment, that you might be wrong. It is indeed something of a challenge to challenge your own experiences.

Nonetheless, there are countless examples where people strongly believe in something which is proven to be wrong. Think about whether praying for somebody who's ill, really works. I believe a significant majority of the people in the US think this works, even though it has been thoroughly researched and if anything, people tend to recover more slowly if they know that someone is praying for them, which is probably due to some kind of performance stress. Or what about near-death experiences where people after which many people can clearly remember that they've seen heaven and Jezus (funnily enough Muslims never tend to see Jezus and Christians never tend to see Muhammed). They have experienced the afterlife for themselves, and there is nothing more convincing than one's own experiences.

I'm not suggesting that believing in an afterlife, dowsing, fairies, etc, is on the same level as believing that there can be audible differences between cables, but the mechanisms where people value their own experience above proper analytical reasoning and objective facts, are similar. Mind you, this is not to say that audible differences beteen cables are impossible. Of course, there are different types of cables and it's well established a speaker cable with too high of a resistance can negatively affect the sound.

To take this thing a bit further: the discussions over cables, including all the rich terminology used to described the differences people hear, makes me wonder how much of a difference speakers and amplifiers really make. Please note I'm not saying that they don't make a difference: not at all. But the same mechanisms that lead people to think there are differences between cables, do not suddenly disappear when one listens to speakers or amplifiers. If anything, I would expect those (psychological) mechanisms to be even stronger, as those products under consideration are also expected to make more of a difference and they are usually the most expensive parts in the setup. Again, I'm not saying that speakers or amplifiers don't make a difference, but if Whathifi hails every new amplifier as a significant evolution, it does make one wonder how poor the amplifiers were 15 years ago (or it makes one wonder if the editors at Whathifi just keep fooling themselves and their readers). With something new, there is always the expectation of something better. Admittedly, it would almost take a cynic to get around that.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Broner said:
Again, I'm not saying that speakers or amplifiers don't make a difference, but if Whathifi hails every new amplifier as a significant evolution, it does make one wonder how poor the amplifiers were 15 years ago (or it makes one wonder if the editors at Whathifi just keep fooling themselves and their readers). With something new, there is always the expectation of something better. Admittedly, it would almost take a cynic to get around that.

The gramophone and the first automobile are about the same vintage. Just compare the performance and features of a car today and one from just 20 years ago and you will realise how engineers continue to advance a mature product. A 2.0 litre BMW 328i today would outperform (while consuming less fuel) many supercars from 20 years ago. And just compare the active and passive safety features of a modern car to one just 20 years ago. On that same vein, I wouldn't dare to contend that hifi has not improved in the last 15 to 20 years.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The gramophone and the first automobile are about the same vintage. Just compare the performance and features of a car today and one from just 20 years ago and you will realise how engineers continue to advance a mature product. A 2.0 litre BMW 328i today would outperform many supercars from 20 years ago. On that same vein, I wouldn't dare to contend that hifi has not improved in the last 15 to 20 years.

What’s really interesting is that you come up with an example where it is absolute clear that developments have been made, and it’s clearly measurable (in speed). Maybe you could highlight some of the developments that make amplifiers every couple of years so much better than previous ones, and tell me how an audible sound quality every single time was objectively measured.

Do note that I am not suggesting that hifi has not improved (as you seem to imply, even though I was very clear in my previous reaction), but I do argue that some of subconscious factors are at play when reviewing new products (and even when people are conscious of them, they can’t just eliminate them). When we then look at the way Whathifi reviews new speakers or amplifiers, it makes one wonder to which degree the suggested improvements over the years relate to actual improvements in the equipment.

T

the record spot

Worst example going, using the car analogy. Someone at the Hoffman forum does that too. Not a good comparison at all. For the reasons mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS