Logitech UE-6000 Noise-Canceling Stereo Headphone review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The connection from cable into earcup should be very firm. I worked with difficulty and a lot of pressure (perhaps 40 to 50 pounds of pressure) to get the cable all the way in. When you look closely where the plug is inserted, you see two "bands" around the earcup - the inner band about 2mm wide and the outer band about 5mm wide. The plug should be fully flush with the inner band and actually about 1/2 to 1mm into the outer band. If you remove the plug and reinsert it, you should get a very substantial click. So yours may not ever have been fully inserted. It takes enormous effort.

The NC works exactly as you describe. That algorithm was designed originally for jet planes, to suppress the jet engine rumble but allow you to hear people talk when close by. The Bose QC2 was designed like that, but apparently Bose designed the QC15 differently, to suppress all noise. Suppressing all noise on a jet may be OK in most cases, but is considered dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists out of doors.

Whoever designed the sound signature is a genius, hands down. It is extremely difficult to get a strong bass that doesn't muddy the midrange, and yet there are no noticeable recesses in the range between bass and mids. This is in active mode with bass reduction (and still *very* bassy).

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to return this pair :cry: , regardless how much pressure is applied it won't stick and i can see that the sleve is fully engaged and i can see marks on the port where i have applied so much force. The cord now falls out when snagged which is annoying.

On the plus side, it will also give me a chance to compare the noise cancellation on another set as i'm still not convinces it's doing anything. The noise cancellation had no effect on the fans on my PC or the train journey on my commute. SQ for me if fantastic and i'll be looking forward to getting the replacement and making sure i test them in store again to cover any QC issues.

I'll let you know how i get on.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Noise canceling is different from what you'd expect, when it works correctly. I can't guess how it would work in your environment, but my example on a local fishing pier next to a cargo lane should help. When I put the headphone on with NC off, it got much quieter, in the mid-high frequencies at least, which is the normal noise isolation of a closed headphone. Then when I switched NC on, it was amazing - the low freq's of the nearby container ships got very quiet, but the voices of some people close by who were talking became more audible than with the NC off. This is what I remember of the Bose QC2 (not QC15) headphone. Even though the voices became more audible, it was more like a whisper than a full voice, because the lower vocal freq''s were well suppressed.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I picked up the replacement cans today. On checking the new set it's clear that the metal widget inside the old port was too shallow. On the new set a satisfying firm click without much effort so hopefully the issue you had with the test cans is resolved.

The ANC is working better now as well. The extractor fan in my bathroom is clearly reduced in the lower register but still audible in the upper range which is more consistent with your findings.

All in all i'm very happy with these cans and looking forward to getting more from my music. Thanks Dale, i might post some questions on the best settings to adjust the eq on Android as i'm currently using an S3 for my listening.

Regards Feral

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Feral said:
I picked up the replacement cans today. On checking the new set it's clear that the metal widget inside the old port was too shallow. On the new set a satisfying firm click without much effort so hopefully the issue you had with the test cans is resolved. The ANC is working better now as well. The extractor fan in my bathroom is clearly reduced in the lower register but still audible in the upper range which is more consistent with your findings. All in all i'm very happy with these cans and looking forward to getting more from my music. Thanks Dale, i might post some questions on the best settings to adjust the eq on Android as i'm currently using an S3 for my listening. Regards Feral

This is most interesting. Apparently they are changing the connectors from the original. Several sets I've tried worked OK for connectors, but required more than 50 lbs of force to get the cable in securely.

I used a different EQ on desktop Foobar2000 - with i-devices I just used "bass reducer" which is a gentle rolloff to perhaps -6 at 50 hz. But on the desktop I used -2 at 440, -4 at 311 and 220, -6 at 156 and 110, and -8 at 77 and 55 hz. I didn't try for any sort of "accuracy", just picked some minimum adjustments to bring the bass within reason. Since I use the simple Foobar default equalizer, I don't want to create large narrow peaks and dips next to the slider points, so I generally pick a smooth curve that gets me within range of a good listen.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Just an update as have had a good chance to get used to these cans.

The improvement over the old cans was such a revalation that I'm in the middle of ripping my entire CD collection to FLAC. So much more detail in the sound and again with Active mode the base is incredible although i have reigned it in a little with N7 settings on Andriod. seems pretty good all round with Jamie Callum on the piano or Massive Attack - Angel with the deep base driving like it should.

Now that JB 4.1.2 natively supports FLAC on the Galaxy S3, i'm going to have to get a 64gb card for the phone to replace the 32 which is now full :p

Dale, thanks for all your help and advice.

Feral

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
When I log in now, the header says "You are not allowed to post new content in the forum."

EDIT: And now it's back to normal. Computers, huh?

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Reliability raises it's ugly head. :wall:

The cans have developed a fault where a light tap on the right can interrupts the sound with what sounds like an electrical short. Checked the cable and only happens when in active mode. On the train this results in a short every few seconds and has got progressively worse.

Back to the store for a replacement:roll:

Vasily

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm from Russia. I do not speak English. My hobby is music. In my 55 years I've heard analog music and now digital music. Today I have success in music. I use a home computer. It's easy for me to have fellowship in the Russian forum, but I'm interested to read other people's opinion. Unfortunately, the Logitech in our stores are not sold. I bought the Logitech UE 6000 headphones, Sound Blaster Zx, Mixcraft 6 Home studio in California. I do not interfere with their home and neighbors. Not many users like this option. Many have to wear headphones in transit. I will not enumerate on any mobile devices and players used the UE 6000. I'll tell you what result I have now. I had the opportunity to listen to music using Mixcraft 6. I have now updated the program to version 7 Pro. I am pleased with the results. If anyone wants to experience, he can any headphones to check through these programs. It is a financial cost that I can afford. Logitech UE 6000 - $200, Sound Blaster Zx is $110, Mixcraft 6 Home studio - $45, update Mixcraft 7 Pro - $120. I found a good setup that you will see.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts