Logitec SqueezeBox Touch

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

l would be grateful for forum members opinion as to the Logitec SqueezeBox Touch (SBT). l have, recently, bought a pair of AVI ADM9T's, which l'm very inpressed with & suit me down to the ground. At present they are fed via a laptop (windows), USB out, into a CYP D-150 DAC & then optical out. l listen, mainly to Spotify (premium) & the sound is excellent.

However, l'm looking to the future & freeing up the laptop, from a fixed connection & considering the options. My first thought was the Apple Airport Express & use Airfoil on the laptop, which would give me the wireless option. However, more recently l've been considering the use of the SBT, which l believe will give a good SQ & option for better resolution in the future.

l would value peoples opinion on these options & any other potential solutions, that are practical, reliable & fairly simple to set up & use.

Particularly, if l was to use the SBT can l use it independantly of a laptop/PC, as the, albeit limited material l have read; doesn't make this clear.

Thank you in advance.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
SBT can be used with a NAS (check compatibility on SB site) or with an HD attached to SBT directly via USB (ckeck if the HDD can be powered from SBT as not all can be).

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
have used an airport express & also a digital dock for an ipod. bought a squeezebox touch several months ago and it is by far my most highly rated gadget in the house. as you rightly identify, frees up the laptop - although you can control sbt from laptop (or phone etc) which is much efficient than the remote for spotify. i mostly use for spotify premium and internet radio, check radio paradise out. for your own library you need a laptop/pc/nas running with the squeezebox software but not required for spotify.

as long as you have a decent internet speed, buy one and you'll never look back. the DAC on the squeezebox is very good too, although i guess you'd go digital into the avi's.

if you are patient, amazon have been known to drop the squeezebox down to £150 for short periods - use zeezaw to email you alerts.

squeezebox and adm9t, killer simple set up.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chesterfieldhouse said:
Hello,

l would be grateful for forum members opinion as to the Logitec SqueezeBox Touch (SBT). l have, recently, bought a pair of AVI ADM9T's, which l'm very inpressed with & suit me down to the ground. At present they are fed via a laptop (windows), USB out, into a CYP D-150 DAC & then optical out. l listen, mainly to Spotify (premium) & the sound is excellent.

However, l'm looking to the future & freeing up the laptop, from a fixed connection & considering the options. My first thought was the Apple Airport Express & use Airfoil on the laptop, which would give me the wireless option. However, more recently l've been considering the use of the SBT, which l believe will give a good SQ & option for better resolution in the future.

l would value peoples opinion on these options & any other potential solutions, that are practical, reliable & fairly simple to set up & use.

Particularly, if l was to use the SBT can l use it independantly of a laptop/PC, as the, albeit limited material l have read; doesn't make this clear.

Thank you in advance.

You can use it independantly, but not with your own music collection unless you use a NAS (I use a Readynas Ultra 2 which is superb), or you plug in a USB harddrive as far as I am aware (I use a duet, which has no usb, so I am not sure).

But you can still use all the services, such as Spotify and Shoutcast etc when not connected to your own collection (through mysqueezebox.com)

The Squeezebox is a superb bit of kit, with a great, intuitive web portal, can be controlled by its own remote, or Android and iPhone remote apps (free on Android).

It's also pretty simple to set up.

One other thing I hadn't realised, is how quick it is. I bought a WD Live this week, and it's SLOOOOOOOW. The fact that you install your server software on a PC/Mac/ decent NAS means it's much quicker than boxes that rely on a piddly processor to navigate.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
You don't fancy a Sonos instead then, fr0g? ;-)

I'd love to try one John. But the Squeezeboxes just work, so there's no real reason to try.

I love the flexibility. I happen to have a Spotify, WiMP (nordic) and Deezer account all working at the moment, and they all work fine on the Squeezebox.

The Squeezebox is a great, cheap(ish), easy to setup piece of kit. It's gapless, multi-codec, quick and doesn't lose connection and require rebooting when there is no signal (unlike certain other devices).

I could bore you all day long about its merits :)

John Duncan

I recommended a Touch to a friend and you're right, it's great, but haven't got much experience with Sonos tbh; I was round a friend's house last weekend and he suggested that I download the iPhone app. I did so, connected to the Sonos to control it and...it stopped working. So their mesh network thing maybe has the same problems as any other wireless network...:-D

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I recommended a Touch to a friend and you're right, it's great, but haven't got much experience with Sonos tbh; I was round a friend's house last weekend and he suggested that I download the iPhone app. I did so, connected to the Sonos to control it and...it stopped working. So their mesh network thing maybe has the same problems as any other wireless network...:-D

Of course it does, the advantage of course is it doesn't have to compete with the missus watching Youtube or the kids playing COD! :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for the opinions, views etc.

l think, for me & what l need, the SQT is the way to go, as to be honest Spotify is now the prime source of listening; though l will check out more radio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts