Loading Windows 7 onto a Vista Sony Vaio laptop help please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

First things first - if you are kind enough to reply can you please keep your replys simple because i am not very Savvy at all this.

I have decided to upgrade my laptop from 32 bit Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.

It is warning me that i cannot do a simple upgrade but most re-load it as new.

Therefore I need to back up my pc. Some of this is easy for me and some of this I have no clue on.

ADVISE SOUGHT PLEASE.

My main concerns are as follows -

iTunes Libary - how do I back up all albums and metadata / artwork etc ? All my albums are on the pc's hard drive ? And then re-install when done ?

I have Picasso with all my photos on - same question please.

I also use an Airport Express, Spotify, Airfoil and a steam account - I am guessing I just put them back on once Windows 7 has loaded and either re-install software or re-sign in to the Spotify or Steam accounts ?

And what about Internet Explorer - will I lose all of my Favourites info - websites etc .......

As you can see I am pretty clueless, so any help would be appreciated.

I have an Office 2007 disc to re-load onto the new operating system.

My pc is beginning to really slow down - so hopefully a new operating system will help.

Am I missing anything else or any other tips please ??????????????

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, I have only ever updated/upgraded the OS when migrating from old to new machines (or to an old machine once a new one is fully up and working) and only from XP Pro -> Win 7 (I skipped the whole Vista thing). I have also upgraded the OS on two different iMacs but they are really easy.

An external backup is an excellent starting point. (Personally, I have always taken two backups but I am a 'belt and braces' sort of person.

Good luck and hopefully we have a full-time IT bod here who is good at setting it all out clearly in type for you.

I could do it for you - if I was there - but I am hopeless at doing it 'at a distance' with typed instructions.

Go on, get a new laptop as well :) It'd all be a lot easier migrating to a new machine, with Win 7 Pro already installed, than updating 'in situ'.

(Also - with two machines - you still have one machine left unmolested with which to ask more questions!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7
The compatibility table on the second page (step 1) shows he can't go from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Professional with the Windows 'Upgrade' tool. He'd have to use 'Custom' and that wipes all the user's files/settings/programs.

OP, do you have to use Win 7 Pro?

If you upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium (or Win 7 Ultimate) then you could use the upgrade tool linked by 'bigboss' and have everything preserved.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
bigboss said:
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7
The compatibility table on the second page (step 1) shows he can't go from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Professional with the Windows 'Upgrade' tool. He'd have to use 'Custom' and that wipes all the user's files/settings/programs.

OP, do you have to use Win 7 Pro?

If you upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium (or Win 7 Ultimate) then you could use the upgrade tool linked by 'bigboss' and have everything preserved.

Yes - Windows 7 Pro only so have to go down the custom install route.

I am backing up to an external hard drive now - my biggest fear is losing my itunes libary and having to start again. So any clear tips on that would be of great help. The rest I think I can muddle through.

Big Boss - I have already used your link which helps but does not help with the itunes stuff.

Just copy your iTunes library, along with photos, videos & documents onto an external hard drive, & copy back after reinstalling Windows 7.

Then start iTunes which will then reindex your songs.

Check this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If you have the room, simply copy everything underneath your user folder assuming you use the default locations for things.

Then you can copy it straight back later and you'll even get your desktop back.

Running MINT linux right now, so I can't check if it's that simple :)

Personally I have everything backed up and reinstall everything for fun now and again :)

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all the tips so far. Its gone well in general but I am still struggling on a few things with my limited knowledge and could do with more of your help.

Heres the good news 1st - its all still working for starters and is much quicker. Plus I was getting an error message on any adobe documents that I was trying to open (the document would open so that I could read the first page then crash) but this is all back to 100% working order. Its sooooo much quicker - guess I have cleaned up all the mess. iTunes libary is fine and all there and working (my biggest fear) and all my photos etc are all still present.

The bad news -

My Function keys are no longer working or the shortcut buttons etc above the keyboard - the touch sensitive ones. I thought that I had read that I just need to update the Sony Utilitiy Series Windows 7 download on the Sony support for my pc along with the Sony Event Service latest updates. I did this but they are still not working ? Any ideas.

My biggest other issue is that I now have two files on my c drive as was expected - Windows and Windows.old. This is where I am very confused.

I know why they are there even with my limited knowledge. What I am struggling on is the Windows Easy Transfer. I am following the instructions but cant seem to get a code to start the transfer. I am under the impression that I treat the transfer as new pc being the Windows files and the old pc as Windows.old files - even though its the same pc. I am struggling to follow the instructions clearly though. I have downloaded Easy Transfer to the Windows.old section but cannot get it to give me the code. As explained I am not savvy on computers so your advise would be most welcome.

I was wondering why I just cant drag and place the windows old files straight onto the windows new Windows 7 location files. i am too worried that I might break something if I attempt to do this.

Apologies for my basic talk, hope one of you understands. Off to get ready for work now so will not reply until later today.

Thanks.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-AW11Z/B.

1) The function keys are Sony specific, & you may have to contact Sony support for that.

2) So you have 2 files or 2 folders in your C drive?

Try this:

1. Click Start, click All Programs – Accessories – System Tools and click Windows Easy Transfer.

2. Click Next in the Windows Easy Transfer window.

3. Select An external hard disk or USB flash drive.

4. Click your old computer, and then wait while Windows Easy Transfer scans the computer.

5. Clear the check boxes next to any user accounts that you don't want to transfer data from, and then click Next.

6. Enter and retype a password, and then write it down and keep it in a safe place; or leave the boxes blank, and then click Save.

7. Browse to the hard disk (You can choose another partition on the same drive here) or other storage device where you want to save your Easy Transfer file, and then click Save.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts