Listening test tomorrow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I would have thought it more a tonal balance issue rather than the amp not being able to 'control' the speakers. The room obvioulsly would have an effect but taking into account it was a demo room I would hope this was sorted out already.

Is it possibly more related to different people have different preferences. Waht someone percieves as bright another feels is detail.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
yani said:
Is it possibly more related to different people have different preferences. Waht someone percieves as bright another feels is detail.

IME. It's certainly about preferences, but also system matching, room acoustics, set up and even whether the speakers are new out of the box.

Compared to Kefs of the last few years (eg. IQ/XQ/Previous Refs), they are more "comfortable" sounding.

The experience I've had with kefs has been that they are very revealing. If they sound too bright, this can be tamed to some extent with positioning and a few additions to your room.

Id rather be faced with that, than speakers that sound like they are covered with a duvet.

matthewpiano

Very hard to go wrong with a Sugden IMO. One of the most musically persuasive systems I've ever heard was an all-Sugden set-up at the Manchester Hi-Fi Show a couple of years ago. Had me totally glued to the spot. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate. Also loved a system which combined Focal floorstanders with the Sugden Mystro CD and amp. Again, if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate.

Good choice. Enjoy the music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Very hard to go wrong with a Sugden IMO. One of the most musically persuasive systems I've ever heard was an all-Sugden set-up at the Manchester Hi-Fi Show a couple of years ago. Had me totally glued to the spot. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate. Also loved a system which combined Focal floorstanders with the Sugden Mystro CD and amp. Again, if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate.

"Musically persuasive" is a great description of what a good system should be, at what ever price level (imo).

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:

"Musically persuasive" is a great description of what a good system should be, at what ever price level (imo).
To me it is the most important quality of a system. Some of the equipment I've had has had the opposite effect and disengaged me, but I love my current kit so much because it really pulls me into the music and whether I'm using my Rega stuff with the KEF or Dynaudio speakers, or using the Exposure amp with my Rotel RCD965BX and either pair of speakers, that disengaging factor has completely gone. After a period of critical health problems in the first part of this year, I'm finding that musical engagement invaluable in helping me to take the time I need to get properly back to my normal self again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
After a period of critical health problems in the first part of this year, I'm finding that musical engagement invaluable in helping me to take the time I need to get properly back to my normal self again.

I am very sorry to hear this and I hope you are now coming out the other side.

SteveR750

matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:

To me it is the most important quality of a system. Some of the equipment I've had has had the opposite effect and disengaged me, but I love my current kit so much because it really pulls me into the music and whether I'm using my Rega stuff with the KEF or Dynaudio speakers, or using the Exposure amp with my Rotel RCD965BX and either pair of speakers, that disengaging factor has completely gone. After a period of critical health problems in the first part of this year, I'm finding that musical engagement invaluable in helping me to take the time I need to get properly back to my normal self again.

I hope Matthew that you regain your normal self again as soon as possible, and it's nice to see you back so to speak. Enjoyment must surely be the criteria for choosing boxes that are designed for just that purpose, whatever the reasoning. Engineers don't always make great musicians, and to expect them to understand what does is probably a distraction.

Now, where did I put those zapperators!

SteveR750

yani said:
I would have thought it more a tonal balance issue rather than the amp not being able to 'control' the speakers. The room obvioulsly would have an effect but taking into account it was a demo room I would hope this was sorted out already.

Yani, that is an interesting observation; to link brightness to a lack of detail (if I understood correctly). It's usually the opposite, make a forward balance to offset a lack of detail resolution.

My experience of the K2 amp is that it is far from bright or lean, in fact the opposite. Whilst a lot of focus is on damping factor and controlling the mid/bass drivers, I suspect that HF distortion is probably a more critically acute issue. The problem is in loudspeaker design, and good tweeters are very rare in budget and mid prices speakers.

iceman16

matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
After a period of critical health problems in the first part of this year, I'm finding that musical engagement invaluable in helping me to take the time I need to get properly back to my normal self again.

I am very sorry to hear this and I hope you are now coming out the other side.
Thanks Cno.

hoping for your early recovery MP.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
fwiw - i had a lengthy listening session (Marantz pearl lite and K2) into LS50 speakers. Both sounded really good - not a trace of harshness from either amp - great soundstage etc. I had a slight preference for the Pearl Lite.

I had a long demo recently of a naim unitilite through Kef R300 speakers. Great sound - no harshness - loads of good soundstage and clarity - a full but well controlled and dynamic bass. I am sure either speaker (for the price) offers good value for money. My money ran out after the Unitilite purchase but it sounds so good and well matched with my Epos es14 I shall hang on to them for the time being.

I am tempted (sometime in the future) to maybe purchase some IPL self build transmission lines (same as boggit's self build). - But no rush - enjoying the music!

Also - noticed you been having some time out from the site over the last few months Matthewpiano. Hope your well now - been there myself with the critical illness thing and found music very good for the mind. Best wishes to you.

tonky

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rick,

I was wondering how you like your gear now, and how does more agressive stuff play on the sugden ? The amp isnt too smooth?

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
yani said:

Yani, that is an interesting observation; to link brightness to a lack of detail (if I understood correctly). It's usually the opposite, make a forward balance to offset a lack of detail resolution.

My experience of the K2 amp is that it is far from bright or lean, in fact the opposite. Whilst a lot of focus is on damping factor and controlling the mid/bass drivers, I suspect that HF distortion is probably a more critically acute issue. The problem is in loudspeaker design, and good tweeters are very rare in budget and mid prices speakers.

I was really meaning the opposite Stevie. Sometimes hearing more detail can to some make the sound feel bright with too much going on. When I replaced my Audiolab with the Elex R there was a lot more detail and body to vocals and instruments. My wife on listening for the first time used the word 'bright' saying she preferred the Audiolab set up. It did initially floor me but since then I am totally convinced its the detail level now available. What she did pick up on was the limitations of the Celestion tweeters. Something I myself have become more aware of over time. Hence why I am now looking at replacing them with something more smoother in the highs. The Focals achieved that (Aria's having far better tweeters than previous models, less bright) but lacked in other areas for my taste.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I use to like KEF spakers quite a bit, such as the older C and Q series. Now that KEF uses metal in all of it's drivers I am not as keen on them anymore, but that probably goes for most speakers that use all metal drivers. Here is one of my favorite KEF speakers from the past that I remember fondly.

C75 (1988-91)[/b]

In the C75 and 95 the Uni-Q array is a type 200_25 - comprising a 200mm (8inch) polymer cone midrange and a coincident mounted 25mm (1 inch) soft dome tweeter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
I use to like KEF spakers quite a bit, such as the older C and Q series. Now that KEF uses metal in all of it's drivers I am not as keen on them anymore

Have you heard the Blade, or indeed the recent crop using "trickle-down" Blade technology ie New Ref/LS50/R Series?

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Hi Rick,

I was wondering how you like your gear now, and how does more agressive stuff play on the sugden ? The amp isnt too smooth?

I'm sitting in front of it all, right now actually still very much enjoying the overall sound. I bought the demo units of the Focals as it would have taken to long to get "new" ones in the colour I wanted, so I have the advantage of them being already run-in.

I've been reading through the rest of the thread with interest, what I meant by the "brightness" of the Kefs is probably better expressed as "harshness" yes, just certain frequencies were too agressive to my ears and made some of my listening material wearing on my ageing brain (namely Bowie's "Five Years", particularly the climax). The Focal/Sugden combo gives me very punchy bass, the tweeters of the Focals pick out great detail, there's wonderful separation of the layers fo the music.

In all, with the other combinations, I was listening very hard, trying to analyse what I liked/didn't like about what I was hearing, taking notes, trying hard to "get it right", but once the Sugden and the Focals were paired up I involuntarily forgot anout taking notes, I stopped analysing and was very surprised to find that I was just smiling. I was, quite simply, enjoying the music. That's what I was looking for all along.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
However, I am familiar with the KEF's and the Focals and there is no way that I would ever pair up either Naim or Rega amps with them.

I would normally agree with your opinion, but i have heard the Elicit R sounding well (imo) with R500s (Majik DS as source).....have you tried the combination with the R Series.

I certainly find that Naim/Focal does not suit my taste (have never heard Rega/Focal)...though I certainly can see the appeal of Sugden/Focal.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_574926750 said:
pyrrhon said:
Hi Rick,

I'm sitting in front of it all, right now actually still very much enjoying the overall sound. I bought the demo units of the Focals as it would have taken to long to get "new" ones in the colour I wanted, so I have the advantage of them being already run-in.

I've been reading through the rest of the thread with interest, what I meant by the "brightness" of the Kefs is probably better expressed as "harshness" yes, just certain frequencies were too agressive to my ears and made some of my listening material wearing on my ageing brain (namely Bowie's "Five Years", particularly the climax). The Focal/Sugden combo gives me very punchy bass, the tweeters of the Focals pick out great detail, there's wonderful separation of the layers fo the music.

In all, with the other combinations, I was listening very hard, trying to analyse what I liked/didn't like about what I was hearing, taking notes, trying hard to "get it right", but once the Sugden and the Focals were paired up I involuntarily forgot anout taking notes, I stopped analysing and was very surprised to find that I was just smiling. I was, quite simply, enjoying the music. That's what I was looking for all along.

Hello Rik.

I am getting the R300's for a home demo towards the months end. I was quite surprised seeing you mention the the word 'harshness'. Most seem to hear the KEF 'R' series as relatively smooth and laid back. Was this trait more obvious with certain amplification or did you feel it across the range of units you tried ?. I will obvioulsy discover exactly how I feel once these arrive but you know how this game goes. I enjoyed the Focal 906 which I found very smooth in the top frequencies. Just not enough clout for me and the next step up (926) being outside what I want to spend. You are constantly wondering and doubting if you are doing the right thing. I will be using an Elex R to power them so fingers crossed.

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
yani said:
hybridauth_Facebook_574926750 said:
pyrrhon said:
Hi Rick,

Hello Rik.

I am getting the R300's for a home demo towards the months end. I was quite surprised seeing you mention the the word 'harshness'. Most seem to hear the KEF 'R' series as relatively smooth and laid back. Was this trait more obvious with certain amplification or did you feel it across the range of units you tried ?. I will obvioulsy discover exactly how I feel once these arrive but you know how this game goes. I enjoyed the Focal 906 which I found very smooth in the top frequencies. Just not enough clout for me and the next step up (926) being outside what I want to spend. You are constantly wondering and doubting if you are doing the right thing. I will be using an Elex R to power them so fingers crossed.

Definitely the amp pairing made a difference, but it was just never the sound I was looking for, and previously, pre-listen, I was convinced they would be the ones :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts