Listening Room Acoustics - HELP?

afs_nj

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello All:

After a long Saturday afternoon's work of rearranging and rewiring my listening room - with all intentions centering around my stereo system - I have found that I have ruined a very good thing. I kinda feel like crying! After a hefty investment in equipment during the 2009 year, I have seen what COULD be. Of course I could always go back to the old, but, before I do, I decided to reach out for any insight.

[NO ATTACHMENTS ALLOWED FOR ME!] Attached is the before and after layouts of my small, awkward den (before=2009, after=2010). The room is part old plaster, and part painted wallboard. The floor is hardwood with a 5 by 8 area rug (shown).

Before: balance! Well rounded lower mids, smooth, tight bass reaching as low as a system like this can go (in my opinion, of course), and floating highs that fit right in.

After: Well, I feel like selling everything and getting a iPod sound dock!!! In a nut shell, EXTREMELY harsh, irritating highs. And, what da hell happened to the lower end!!! I mean, I actually checked whether my power amp was operating correctly!!!!!!!! It's a mess!!!!

My system:
Source: Apple lossless thru a Cayin USB DAC (valve-based analog stage).
Roksan Caspian M-Series Integrated and Power Amps (current models).
VDH Hybrid Interconnects.
B&W 685s.
QED SIlver Anniversary XT Bi-wire.
(Oh, the other concurrent change was moving the 685s from the old B&W stands to my new Pardington stands).

The big, obvious change is that both speakers are now aligned with their backs against a wall at a distance of one foot.

Also, in preparation for the effect of some room awkwardness, I have purchased and received two 24" by 48" off-the-shelf acoustic panels. I have yet to mount these panels. My intentions was to place them on the two sides of the jutting corner of the closet in order to mitigate whatever effect this hard corner may produce. I really didn't/don't know what I was doing.

Thank you for reading this and thanks for all suggestions!

Alex

A

Anonymous

hi alex,you have now discovered just how much of an effect your room has on your sound reproduction,please read the reply i gave to the post by madridpunch - custom listening room advice - the information i gave him will be very useful to you indeed,please dont despair,you will have to spend some more time experimenting but in the end it will be worth it,what you have done has taught you something and hopefully you will be wiser and more aware of room effect and understand just how important it is to your sound,if you need any further info let me know by raising another post,regards stephen shepherd.

A

Anonymous

sorry alex,forgot to mention,please view my post,GET BETTER SOUND,posted about 3/4 days ago i think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts