Listening habits

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I've lately realised that I like to listen alone. And prefer my room blacked out, with just the hifi glowing. Unfortunately I don't have a seperate room for listening. My mancave is too small for a hifi setup. So I share my dining room with it. Owing to my listening preferences, I wait till everyone has hit the bed and then light up my hifi.

My music plays for close to 8 hrs a day, yet I only enjoy it when the room is dark and iam alone. Actually sounds weird. So thought I'd ask folks how they do their listening. And their most convenient time for doing so. Thanks.

insider9

That's why my listening room is a part of a bedroom. Sure I could setup in the living room and I'd have much more room. But I wouldn't be able to use acoustic room treatment there or if I did I'd have a lot of grief over it. I'd need (or would be encouraged) to select gear based on looks. And then I'd have to wait until it's quiet in order to use it. I also prefer to listen in the dark and the next few months are ideal as it gets dark early.

Newlash09 how small is your man cave?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My den is 14x11 ft in size. And I have to accommodate a king size bed in the room for my visiting in-laws. Not much room left after the bed. I could sit on the bed, but felt my room might not be ideal for floor standers. My bedroom is 17x11 again. This constant 11ft is spoiling the acoustics. So thought my dining is better. Length is 23 ft. Speakers are open on either sides, no side walls for 17 ft on right side, and 13 ft on left side. If I can somehow squeeze everything into the mancave I would be delighted. I had actually tried in a room of similar size in my present home, and it was too boomy for me. So iam actually lost.

I wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning to sneak in a morning listen, before the house wakes up :(

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Insider9.....I can only imagine listening in seclusion at a time of my choice. You are very lucky indeed.

And this the single thing prodding me to sell my entire kit, and move to a active setup with small bookshelves. I can listen anytime I want then. And sip something cold and bitter to add to my enjoyment :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My furniture is still being done up. I can still stop that bed going into my man cave. In your good opinion , can I shove the PMC's into my 14x11ft room, and fix everything with room treatment and Dirac :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Depends on the freq and severity of the boom - more likely to fix it with Dirac - treatment will fix other issues such as comb filtering, ringing, excess and uneven decay in the room all related the rooms reverb.

This helps with clarity and focus

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That was very encouraging. By any chance do you happen to know anyone in India, who has your knowledge of room treatment, and can setup my room. I'd be delighted to have a room entirely to my musical pleasure with the PMC's. Sorry if iam troubling you too much with my very direct posts

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Insider knows more than me already - I only know the basics.

I dont know anyone in India personally - the company I use is GIK Acoustics - they will give you free advice on the room treatments.

They will likely give you a very comprehensive answer with a lot of products - this can seem extreme but the problem is often extreme and difficult to fix.

But you can build up slowly which isnt a bad idea - but ask Insider, Gazzip or Electro - once you start with acoustic treatment you will likely keep adding more because its very powerful.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Everyone you mentioned are the friendliest and the most helpful members in the forum. Would be delighted to take on this experiment.

On a different note, i joined a dedicated indian hifi forum. And owing to my setup, represented in my signature , everyone considers me a local guru, and i know i dont deserve that by a mile. But I try to pass on, what I learn here. With humility :)

Thanks to all of you for being so benevolent towards me. Iam actaully out with my mates for a Friday boys' day out. But can't stay away from the forum. Thanks again :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
My furniture is still being done up. I can still stop that bed going into my man cave. In your good opinion , can I shove the PMC's into my 14x11ft room, and fix everything with room treatment and Dirac :)
I'll help in any way I can. I think Ellisdj is a little bit modest there. I only have a amateurish experience treating one room although results have been extremely promising.

The room you mention will be fine in terms of size as long as it's only used for listening. In fact as long as the height is about 8ft it's ratio is very good.

If you put acoustic room treatment and use DSP you'll have an amazing listening room. My bedroom is very similar size wise but I'm using only part of it for listening. Still got a double bed in there and my speakers are bigger than yours. I'll post a link in a separate post.

Looks great insider! Those speakers match up with your hifi rack really well. Did you build the rack yourself?

Also what's the box at the top looks like a roksan? Nice to see your still using the wxc-50.

My listening habits are manly by myself in the day time as I'm a shift worker. Recently my partner has been showing a interest into the hifi as well. So been having a few beers or glasses of wine and put a record on to listen to. Think my partner sees vinyl as being more of an event like watching a film, where as I could happly listen to music for hours and hours

insider9

Top to bottom:
Densen B-110 Integrated Amp (finally settled and couldn't be happier)
Yamaha WXC-50
Minidsp OpenDRC-DA8

Speakers Red Rose Music Classic Ribbon

Yes, I built the rack recently from birch timbre. Based the design on my Sound Organisation Z560. I needed something smaller but didn't really like the look of anything.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Top to bottom:
Yamaha WXC-50
Minidsp OpenDRC-DA8

Yes, I built the rack recently from birch timbre. Based the design on my Sound Organisation Z560. I needed something smaller but didn't really like the look of anything.
wow looks amazing and them Speaker's =-O love it

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
Top to bottom:
Yamaha WXC-50
Minidsp OpenDRC-DA8

wow looks amazing and them Speaker's =-O love it
Many thanks!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I like listening to my music on my own because if the wife is with me she just yap’s for England and if my little one is around she wants Frozen song let it go on so I like being by myself self when listening to music in my house as this helps me relax thank god for hifi

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I listen by myself and no disturbances. Top floor flat and neighbour below out of country a lot. No neighbours either side.

but I’m bloody lonely anyway and there is a course a trade off. I’m going out with a neighbour to fireworks tonight. I suppose all the bangs tonight an excuse for a louder stereo!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Since getting my Exposure amps, my wife seems to spend more time with me listening, although usually she will be on her ipad. After a while she will move to playing with the cat in another room, leaving me to chill on my own for another hour or so. She is happy just to be able to hear the music from another room though.

I don;t mind whether I am on my own or not, as long as everyone is quiet.

jonathanRD said:
Since getting my Exposure amps, my wife seems to spend more time with me listening, although usually she will be on her ipad. After a while she will move to playing with the cat in another room, leaving me to chill on my own for another hour or so. She is happy just to be able to hear the music from another room though.

I don;t mind whether I am on my own or not, as long as everyone is quiet.

Like many, it would seem, I usually listen alone during daytime when I get the chance as when daughter is home it's too noise (she is often heard practising piano or worse, drums and the wife is not too bothered about listening to anything. Evening listening usually means headphones whilst missus watches Casualty or the like. One of my best decisions was to move the hifi from the lounge upstairs into main bedroom, I get a little peace there. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts