Listening Fatigue - Time For New Speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm still not convinced the speakers are to blame. However, I do think you can do better than the 9.1's. Do you place your speakers on stands away from the desk? Can you improve the source. i.e. try some wav files to test any difference? Also what type of music do you listen to?

If you like the Marantz and Aviano combo I would sersiously consider going for it. Alternative amps to check out maybe the NAD C316 or C326.

I have a couple of other ideas.

-As you are using a PC as source why not go for active speakers? You could always sell the CA 640 and wharfs

-Or I would try second hand speakers. You will most likely get better for the same price. I've bought a few second hand speakers and they have been great. This way you can sell them back for the same price or more - without any loss. and try some different ones. Also some of the older designs are sometimes warmer and don't have such a problem with harsh treble and the larger cabinets tend to give a bigger sound in general. Depends on the sound your after.

Another thought - if you are using them close to the wall you may want to consider front ported design and not rear ported. Everyone has there own preference.

Monitors maybe worth considering if you are listening at close proximity using a desk and PC. In fact this could be the problem (i.e. listening zone very close to speakers at desk). How do the speakers sound at the other end of the room? Hope this may help or confuse more ! Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hello All,

Blackdawn:

Speakers are on filing cabinets either side of desk. I use 320k lame mp3’s and flacs. Aviano 1 are a bright speaker and there’s better out there for the money.

Active speakers sound quality v good amp + good speakers – there’s only one winner, all those electrics crammed into a speaker box not for me.

I’ve had a demo of the Nad 325bee and 355bee and found them to have too much bass a not a good sound stage.

Both the Lektor 2’s and bx2’s are front ported and even the second had ones on ebay are only about £30-50 cheaper I’d rather buy new. I’m not really after a warm speaker, I’d prefer a neutral one.

There’s not a whole lot I can do about my listening position while sitting at my desk, but I do also sit on the other side of the room where the sound is slighty different (but not a whole lot).

Thanks

AzurBob

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have agree with alot said with the amp thing i really find the arcam alpha range very smooth and while alittle false sounding it has the warth and nice top end to make late night sessions very easy and if you crank it up its not bad. second hand you can get a good price and imo it would beat most amps under £400. the whalfdales i would try and listen with other amps but i think i would stick with them. flac v mp3 is lie blu ray v dvd alot or close but there is certain times where it stands out so if storage is not a problem start ripping in flac or wav or some sort of lossless to so you know your getting the best you can. also try put you speakers slightly lower and then higher i know it would be hard but just maybe the tweeter is sitting at a bad height for you.

A

Anonymous

Drop an email to MA's customer service asking about your doubt.

Anyway, I think BX2s are shilded as most of entry level loudspeakers are projected for home theater purposes nowadays.

A

Anonymous

Hello All,

Smuggs:

I’ve never heard the alpha range but it sound like a good easy listen. I had listen to the Marantz and it ticked all the boxes and all for £230 it really does sound like a £400+ amp IMHO and I can have a 5 year warranty for £20 Richersound. Wharfdale 9.1 where easily beaten by the aviano 1’s, there’s definitely better out there for £50 more than what I paid for the 9.1s.

It would be a lot of hassle lowering and raising the speaker positions, moving cabinets around and buying stands etc.

I still have the same brightness problems listening to flac which is lossless and CDs for that matter. Anything with a violin in it makes me cringe at high frequencies, far to much glare.

Audio Maniac:

I think I read somewhere they are shielded but I might just email them to make sure. In any case If they’re not it makes my choice and easy one should I decide not to worry about shielding, I would probably go for the Dali Lektor 2’s if both aren’t shielded and the BX2’s if they are and the Dalis aren’t (If that makes any sense?).

Have anyone had a listen of the Marantz pm6003?

Thanks

AzurBob

A

Anonymous

highly reccommend pm6003 or nad-even the golden oldy c370. both are miles better than the cam. and affordable.

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

pedej0e:

I've had a Technics amp since the early 90's (that was ok for its time) and then upgraded to the CA640a and thought it great, it had an almost 3d soundstage compared to the Technics. Although after one year with it my ears have matured and I've found some of its weaknesses (but maybe a lot of this is personal taste and some may not think them weaknesses) and had a demo of the pm6003.

Have you got the pm6003 yourself?

Thanks

AzurBob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts