Listening and Home cinema building and acoustic Forum

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Dear What Hi Fi,

Can we have a listening and home cinema building and acoustics sub forum where people can discuss designing, building and treating their rooms, pretty please?

It could cover everything from basics and improving your living room to complete cinema and listening room builds from scratch with box within box soundproofing methods

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
can i join your gang? :pray:

I have a few questions in regard to what i want in the future,but having posted before and recieved a certain amount of info,i don't want to post again(and recieve no replies) as i'm not in a position to demo let alone purchase.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I've just knocked up a DIY panel to go behind my head above the sofa. It did make a difference and its presence is definitely noticeable.

It's difficult to describe the effect, but it seems quieter, from behind my head now, must be doing something. I could probably do with a couple of others, but this will do for now.

Now I've just got to get rid of 4 or 5 unused sheets of acoustic slab (shed space at a premium).

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
What kind of slab? I found corners were most effextive. Behind my head I am still experimenting. Good luck

I'm with Robin, here rather than thrown them get them into your corners (you can cut them into a triangle) and cover with fabric. You will really notice a difference I Promise if there isn't already treatment there

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
What kind of slab? I found corners were most effextive. Behind my head I am still experimenting. Good luck

This stuff for the reflection dampening panels. Various thicknesses are available.

It is bought in packs of 5 or 6 if I recall, so is more cost effective when making several panels. Handle with care, ie gloves, goggles and dust mask, as it'll itch like a EDITED if you get it on your skin.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sheggs said:
RobinKidderminster said:

I'm with Robin, here rather than thrown them get them into your corners (you can cut them into a triangle) and cover with fabric. You will really notice a difference I Promise if there isn't already treatment there

I've got no empty corners and can't afford any on the ceiling due to ceiling height. It was more of an experiment really, so that I can make a more dedicated setup if I ever move and I also like to see what real benefits can be acheived by making cheap but effective changes to my system (including room in that).

I'll just move the stuff along on the bay sometime. Local pickup and all that.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
RobinKidderminster said:

This stuff for the reflection dampening panels. Various thicknesses are available.

It is bought in packs of 5 or 6 if I recall, so is more cost effective when making several panels. Handle with care, ie gloves, goggles and dust mask, as it'll itch like a EDITED if you get it on your skin.

I've heard "Quantum Panels" from Quantum Acoustics, are the ones to go for! :shifty: ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Overdose said:
RobinKidderminster said:

I've heard "Quantum Panels" from Quantum Acoustics, are the ones to go for! :shifty: ;)

:hand: Don't go there. :p

At least I know how my panel works.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I love yr rom VoodooD. Is it solely a HC room? Have u not tried some treatment and is it a hard floor? Can I join you for a cuppa? Do have a bash and report back

I think you've missed my latest pics...

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

Yes, it's a dedicated room with a tiled floor. It now has a tonne of treatment courtesy of Gik and it has made a massive difference, really tightening the sound up. I don't have the time or skills to make my own stuff unfortunately. :oops:

Of course you can join me for a cuppa!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts