Lion

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just saw the film "Lion" with Dev Patel & Nicole Kidman. Awesome.

One of the best crafted sound designs I've appreciated for some time. It's not an action popcorn flick, but makes plenty of use of the rear channels. As it should be. In real life our ears are bombarded with sounds from all directions and yet surprisingly few sound designers genuinely bother with the rear channels unless they have a helicopter / spaceship / train / car etc etc buzzing from front to rear. But in real life 3-D soundstages inform our brains precisely what environment we find ourselves in: a tall echoey hall, a wide open windswept space, a small well-damped enclosed room, a busy city street with people all around you. Why rears aren't used more effectively in more films baffles me. Well 'Lion' shows what's possible when it's done well. It doesn't have to be Star Wars or the latest superhero movie to show how good surround sound can be.

You don't need helicopters buzzing around you to feel a sense of a genuine 3-D soundstage that envelops you, and this beautifully produced film exemplifies that. Stunning picture too. Highly recommended, but comes with a warning: unless you have a granite heart, you may have a tear in your eye by the end.

F

FunkyMonkey

Agree with everything. Watched it twice in a week. Never done that before.

F

FunkyMonkey

Great performance by her. Still looks hot. Sign of my age that I'm increasingly finding women over 50 attractive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts