Linn Sneaky DS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Regarding the amp, I want for sure have a good listen at a Sudgeon (Masterclass and A21)...and Pathos if I can get my hands on one of them...which one might be compared to the Masterclass in terms of price range? Thanks!!!

As suggested by Tino, there is the Ethos (with DAC) http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Pathos-Ethos-Integrated-Amplifier/product_5262 or for a bit less the Logos: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Pathos-Logos-One-MkIII-Integrated-Amplifier/product_2631

Cno, in terms of sonic performances which one you rate to be the best? Because on paper the Logos is a bit more powerful and the preamp stage operates in pure class A...no info on Ethos at this regard...I will demo both anyway... :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Cno, I have opportunity to "steal" a Soro SE ex-demo in mint condition...even if it's a bit far from where I live I am convincing the dealer to block it so I can audiotion with my speakers as well...you want to come for a ride and advice? :D I might host you in Brussels if you want :grin:

If I like what I hear when I go there it is not excluded I am coming back with my speakers and a Soro SE as well...

The alternative products I am thinking about auditioning are Pathos, Sudgeon A21SE and Musical Fidelity M6i even if the AN dealer said amongst these, only the Sudgeon is worth listening...not sure how much his judgement is unbiased though! It will be an interesting month from this point of view....

If Ryanair fly there, I'm yer man. ;) I was in Brussel over 30 years ago, and stayed with friends at Avenue Rene Gobert, Uccle. Nice place and great food. You have listed some of my favorite amps, but be warned, once heard they are hard to get out of one's head. I have no idea how the AN will sound in another system. The M6i is powerful and dynamic, and one of the few solid state amps that I like. Of your list, the Pathos and Sugden would be my picks, with the Pathos taking the lead....it'll be intriguing to see how you find it. If the AN sounds "wrong", get it played through some more suitable speakers (preferably AN-K)

The AN-K has 90db sensitivity, wouldn't my speakers be more efficient (91db)? Eventually, what do you think about the AN floorstanders AZ-2 and AZ-3?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Acalex, I'm just back from work and will do my best with your questions.

With regard to the amps, I am unable to help with a comparison, so you may just trust your ears. Make sure you bring a good variety of music you know well, including some of the less well mastered ones, to see how it copes.

The spec of your RX6 shows a Sensitivity of 90 dB into 6 Ohms. This on the surface, appears to be the same as the AN-K. The difference comes when giving minimum amp power. For the RX6 it's 40W, but the AN-K it's 7W. This probably means that the Impedance of your speakers drops lower, putting more pressure on the amp.
This doesn't necessarily mean your speakers won't be suitable; again you will have to try it out and see how it sounds.
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rx6/#/specification
http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-k_01.shtml

I haven't heard the AZ range, but Audio Note had some AZ-1 (discontinued floorstanders) in Cherry reduced from £800 to £500. They are designed to work in the corners (as are all the AN range).
If interested, or indeed have any questions on anything AN, the person to contact is Martin Grennall: martin.grennall@audionote.co.uk
He is exceedingly helpful and knowledgeable, and will be able to answer most questions.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Acalex, I'm just back from work and will do my best with your questions. With regard to the amps, I am unable to help with a comparison, so you may just trust your ears. Make sure you bring a good variety of music you know well, including some of the less well mastered ones, to see how it copes. The spec of your RX6 shows a Sensitivity of 90 dB into 6 Ohms. This on the surface, appears to be the same as the AN-K. The difference comes when giving minimum amp power. For the RX6 it's 40W, but the AN-K it's 7W. This probably means that the Impedance of your speakers drops lower, putting more pressure on the amp. This doesn't necessarily mean your speakers won't be suitable; again you will have to try it out and see how it sounds. http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rx6/#/specification http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-k_01.shtml I haven't heard the AZ range, but Audio Note had some AZ-1 (discontinued floorstanders) in Cherry reduced from £800 to £500. They are designed to work in the corners (as are all the AN range). If interested, or indeed have any questions on anything AN, the person to contact is Martin Grennall: martin.grennall@audionote.co.uk He is exceedingly helpful and knowledgeable, and will be able to answer most questions.

Cno, thanks a lot, I have indeed already sent an email to him and has been very helpful! I dropped him another email this afternoon, waiting for his thoughts on that as well! Again thanks a lot for all your help, very much appreciated!

Btw found my Pathos dealer around (200 km but still...) he will have an exposition of most Pathos products in 10 days (included the Inpol2) and some other tube amps like Unison Sinfonia and Synthesis A50T

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Acalex ... although you weren't "blown-away" by the Sneaky DS, I just stumbled across an ex-demo one on eBay ... currently at £510. May be of interest / acceptable at that kind of price, although any much more than £600-£650 then I'm not sure it would be worth your while?

:oops: ... should have scrolled a bit further down the page ... another one at £210 also.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
Acalex ... although you weren't "blown-away" by the Sneaky DS, I just stumbled across an ex-demo one on eBay ... currently at £510. May be of interest / acceptable at that kind of price, although any much more than £600-£650 then I'm not sure it would be worth your while?

:oops: ... should have scrolled a bit further down the page ... another one at £210 also.

Tino, thanks a lot for that! They are currently under auction, so I guess the price will quickly go up...still 9 days left for the 210GBP one...well I guess at 500GBP is well worth

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts