Linn Majik CDP - need a low-down...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
....but nothing, the Streamers are better. ;)

Though being serious for a minute, can you give a little more info about what "low-down" you are after. Can you also elaborate on which model are you looking at, and what you have seen them going for.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Their CDPs are good, but imo you are paying slightly over the odds because it's a Linn.

They have a clean, detailed sound that isn't as "rich" as some. They are reasonably musical, but the problem remains that they are now obsolete (though supported at the moment I think), and completely outclassed by their Streamers.

For all the above reasons, I find it hard to give them a whole hearted recommendation.....Mr. E's links say all you need to know.

Nb. It's important to forget "zeal" and try to get a listen sometime, as this is the only way to truly overcome your fears/skepticism.

CnoEvil said:
Their CDPs are good, but imo you are paying slightly over the odds because it's a Linn.

They have a clean, detailed sound that isn't as "rich" as some. They are reasonably musical, but the problem remains that they are now obsolete (though supported at the moment I think), and completely outclassed by their Streamers.

For all the above reasons, I find it hard to give them a whole hearted recommendation.....Mr. E's links say all you need to know.

Nb. It's important to forget "zeal" and try to get a listen sometime, as this is the only way to truly overcome your fears/skepticism.

Can't forget the zeal. I genuinely don't have the stomach for streaming. Just want to plug 'n' play...

So there are better CDPs at the price than Linn. Is that a correct assumption?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Can't forget the zeal. I genuinely don't have the stomach for streaming. Just want to plug 'n' play...

So there are better CDPs at the price than Linn. Is that a correct assumption?

That question doesn't have a definitive answer.

If you like the Linn sound, then you would be getting their CDP at less than half of what it cost before being "culled"......so in that sense it is good value.

I think at its original price of £2100, you could have done better; but at the price in your link, it would be tempting, and its main opposition would probably come from the Audiolab.......but since I haven't heard that particular bake-off, I can't help you with a meaningful opinion.

If you insisted on a hunch, then my guess would be that the CDQ would be more versatile, but the Majik would sound a little better.

EDIT. I see that my Linn dealer (Lyric Hifi) has a good condition one on sale for £899 (under their offers/pre-owned section)....if interested, give Michael a ring on 02890 381296. He's the owner, and hugely knowledgeable, while being very straight, and a gentleman to deal with.

I've known and dealt with him for over 30 years, and have never had a problem that he didn't deal with fairly.

T

the record spot

I used to have a Linn Mimik which was a nice player. Nice sound, but in truth, the Kenwood DP7090 was as good and cost half the price. Very nice build though. Solid.

Mmmm, this is all inconclusive...

Given that there's no models to dem, it looks like my other choice of adding a Rega Dac, in the hope that a year or two I'll have the appetite to stream. But if I'm to spend £500 on a Dac I feel, perhaps, might be short-changed with the Sneaky retailing around £900 for a built-in Dac and streamer.

Decisions decisions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mmmm, this is all inconclusive...

Given that there's no models to dem, it looks like my other choice of adding a Rega Dac, in the hope that a year or two I'll have the appetite to stream. But if I'm to spend £500 on a Dac I feel, perhaps, might be short-changed with the Sneaky retailing around £900 for a built-in Dac and streamer.

Decisions decisions.
Until you hear what all the fuss is about, it will remain inconclusive......and that's as conclusive as I'm prepared to be! :shifty:

Okay, understand Cno. Hope you can absorb a scintilla of my situation: Love to come into the 21st Century but I need a NAS, Laptop or Ipad, router, something to rip any old cds...

Some time ago I did a ballpark calculation which was around £1500 - that's a lot of money for something I know zilch about, hence why i'm looking at tried and tested formats.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Okay, understand Cno. Hope you can absorb a scintilla of my situation: Love to come into the 21st Century but I need a NAS, Laptop or Ipad, router, something to rip any old cds...

PP, I have huge sympathy, as I too, am completely inept when it comes to computers....this is why I had Lyric HiFi set the whole thing up. Linn like you to buy from competent dealers for this very reason. I also appreciate the difficulty of your position, regarding getting out to demo.

There is no way I would have gone down this route if I hadn't heard the improvement for myself.....but I also wouldn't have had the courage to launch into it without the support of the dealer (who was also on the end of the phone if necessary).

The only reason for my insistence, is that I strongly believe that you need to hear what I'm talking about, before you spend substantial money on a source (when ever that is, as there's no hurry). As you know, saving money, but getting it wrong, can be dearer in the long run.

Cno

Absolutely: false economy is something I try to avoid.

After a rethink of the situation think I will go down the separate Dac route for two main reasons: First, I can just use it connected to my Arcam CDP (slow caressing into this world gizmos and gadgets), and with a digital coax I can utilise the DVD-R via it's digital connections. And second, when I feel the need to get a laptop or Ipad I can use it as a perfect springboard into downloading.

Given my recent use of a Rega Apollo, and liked it a lot, the Dac seems the logical solution

My trouble is if I'm taken out of my hi-fi 'comfort zone' I come out in a nasty rash. ;)

Thanx Cno.

TRENDING THREADS