Linn Kiko

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
http://www.whathifi.com/news/linn-launches-kiko-network-music-system WDYT? Great to see active speakers drive! What I do not get is the control offered - can it be fully controlled on its own? If Kiko is in the kitchen or bedroom, I do not want to have to carry my smartphone or ipad or laptop there to control the thing. the smartphone is somewhere else, usually getting charged. So for me the hifi unit has to have its own full and convenient control. it is not clear from the info and the pic what kind of control the unit has - the screen seems tiny so probably not a touchscreen control a la SB Touch. comparing to existing streamers and active speakers e.g. sb touch and adm 9.1Ts - the SB/ADM combo would have much more powerful speakers, similar but not the same input options and large control display and cost about 1500 which is a whole grand less than the Linn. So, apart from styling, what advantages the Linn has here over existing options?

A

Anonymous

All the other Linn DS products can be operated with a remote control handset, but on the cheaper models (e.g. Sneaky DS) this costs extra.

Obvously I haven't heard the Kiko yet, but I have Linn DS players and a Squeezebox at home. The Linn works with all uPnP music servers, not just the Logitech one. It also sounds much better, and features such as Songcast (which allows you to stream direct from a PC or other Linn systems) and Net Aux (which is a rip-off of Apple Airplay). I also assume it will be made in Scotland rather than some sweatshop in the Far East (though Linn have had some products made in China in the past).

The Logitech does have the advantage of being a stand-alone unit, and I think this is important to a lot of customers.

No idea yet, but when I saw the news item last night, I assumed from the photo that is was being controlled from the laptop.

It certainly looks interesting, and has that premium price that makes you wonder if it is really great or just a lifestyle thingy.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the characteristic of a "lifestyle" product that you can deconstruct it and come up with something better sounding and at least as functional for the same money? The "lifestyle" benefit is the integration and the sleek-looking packaging. Speaking as a geek, this definitely isn't for me - there's no tweeking and adjusting that can be done.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jamesh764 said:
All the other Linn DS products can be operated with a remote control handset, but on the cheaper models (e.g. Sneaky DS) this costs extra.

Obvously I haven't heard the Kiko yet, but I have Linn DS players and a Squeezebox at home. The Linn works with all uPnP music servers, not just the Logitech one. It also sounds much better, and features such as Songcast (which allows you to stream direct from a PC or other Linn systems) and Net Aux (which is a rip-off of Apple Airplay). I also assume it will be made in Scotland rather than some sweatshop in the Far East (though Linn have had some products made in China in the past).

The Logitech does have the advantage of being a stand-alone unit, and I think this is important to a lot of customers.

If you are saying that you have a DS player at home, which one is it, and what other streamers have you heard (as most on here know, I'm a big DS fan)?

A

Anonymous

At home, I've got a Majik DSI in my main system and a Sneaky DS in another room. I've also got a Logitech Squeezebox.

I've listened to the Sonos streamers, but I've only heard one that I liked - I think it was called ZP90 (and that was playing through Linn speakers).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jamesh764 said:
At home, I've got a Majik DSI in my main system and a Sneaky DS in another room. I've also got a Logitech Squeezebox.

I've listened to the Sonos streamers, but I've only heard one that I liked - I think it was called ZP90 (and that was playing through Linn speakers).

Thx James, it's good to see other DS owners on here....word may eventually get out as to how good they are!

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
IMHO Linn have been canny in seeing the opportunity for a product which will enhance flat-panel TV sound without the palaver of 5.1. Plus they've build in a music streamer good for 24/192 and active speakers.Could do well with folks who want to combine AV 2.0 and streamer in single box with app controller. Certainly an easier 'sell' to her indoors, than an AV Receiver with front pre-outs going to an amp with fixed gain inputs, plus music streamer and some speakers!

IMHO Linn have been canny in seeing the opportunity for a product which will enhance flat-panel TV sound without the palaver of 5.1. Plus they've build in a music streamer good for 24/192 and active speakers.

Could do well with folks who want to combine AV 2.0 and streamer in single box with app controller. Certainly an easier 'sell' to her indoors, than an AV Receiver with front pre-outs going to an amp with fixed gain inputs, plus music streamer and some speakers!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
amcluesent said:
IMHO Linn have been canny in seeing the opportunity for a product which will enhance flat-panel TV sound without the palaver of 5.1. Plus they've build in a music streamer good for 24/192 and active speakers.Could do well with folks who want to combine AV 2.0 and streamer in single box with app controller. Certainly an easier 'sell' to her indoors, than an AV Receiver with front pre-outs going to an amp with fixed gain inputs, plus music streamer and some speakers!

IMHO Linn have been canny in seeing the opportunity for a product which will enhance flat-panel TV sound without the palaver of 5.1. Plus they've build in a music streamer good for 24/192 and active speakers.

Could do well with folks who want to combine AV 2.0 and streamer in single box with app controller. Certainly an easier 'sell' to her indoors, than an AV Receiver with front pre-outs going to an amp with fixed gain inputs, plus music streamer and some speakers!
good point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts