Limited space, limited budget?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a student so I have limited space and a limited budget. I already have an Airport Express, so I'm not sure whether to build a system on that, or maybe start out with a Sonos Play:3 and build from there.

To build on my Airport Express, will I just need speakers and an amp, or is there anything else to consider? What would be the best compact combination up to £500?

Or on the other hand, how would two Play:3/5's sound? I live most of my life out of one room, so is it still worth it if the multiroom functionality isn't used?

Thanks! :)

Liam

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The suggestion above or a headphone, headamp setup.

IMO a few hundred pounds worth will give you comparable quality to 1000s pounds worth hifi equipment. If you can live with the fact that headphones can't provide a soundstage outside your head, headphones is the way to go to maximize sound quality on a budget.

Take care to audition. The sennheiser 650 for example sounds quite relaxed and a bit dark. Grado is quite lively and bright IMO up until their top of the range model. There is more to chose, but these are the brands I've got experience with.

As a final note I'd like to add that I consider my iphone with klipsch x10 in ears also a fine match.

scene

If space is limited, you could also consider a SONOS Connect Amp - for around £370 - leaving you £130 to get speakers and some speaker cable. If you've got an iOS6 device, you can play straight to the Sonos using their equivalent of Airplay. (you could even sell the Airport Express and use the cash for something else...)

... or you could consider something like a B&W Zeppelin Air Speaker dock - for <£500

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
crocodilerocker said:
I'm a student so I have limited space and a limited budget. I already have an Airport Express, so I'm not sure whether to build a system on that, or maybe start out with a Sonos Play:3 and build from there.

To build on my Airport Express, will I just need speakers and an amp, or is there anything else to consider? What would be the best compact combination up to £500?

Or on the other hand, how would two Play:3/5's sound? I live most of my life out of one room, so is it still worth it if the multiroom functionality isn't used?

Thanks! :)

Liam

What they sound like, I don't know, but in all other aspects they are perfect for you. Students even get a 10% discount.

http://www.morgan-audio.co.uk/index.php/buy-active-speakers.html

white5.jpg

A

Anonymous

RE: Going the seperates route - I just did this. I am a student, with a limited budget.

I have a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 and Gale Gold Monitor Speakers. Richers did them in a package for a great price (~£200). Get the AM5 not the cheaper one because it hasv more power, tone controls (so you can turn down the bass in thin walled student rents when your mates are asleep), and a line in port for your iPod etc... What it lacks is a remote, headphone socket, and a phono stage for connecting a turntable. The speakers are literally teriffic at the price though, and the the seperates setup seems more solid, and sounds better, than a comparably priced mini sysem.

I got a CD player (£40), tuner (£30), turntable (£70), preamp (£40), and tape deck (£20) off eBay/Gumtree etc..

Total cost was still UNDER £500 including cables and speaker wire. For a full seperates setup.

Cant beat that.

TRENDING THREADS