Life Span on Amplifier, 15 years?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear forum members, does anyone know what is the life span on solid state amplifier for an average usage of 3-4 hours a day in regards of the degradation on the capacitors and transistors. Wouldn't the sound quality of an amplifier drop after years of usage...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Hachi,

after 15 years, I would probably think about replacing the capacitors. I would think the transistors should be fine if the amp hasn't been overheated during its life.

Upgrading the caps with modern ones can often make an amp better than it was when new...

T

the record spot

Depends on the overall condition of the amp; just had mine fully serviced and it sounds amazing. It was first manufactured back in 1977 and the construction is as good as it gets. Fully handbuilt throughout apparently and the sound quality is sublime. Wouldn't be parted from it. The caveat of course is with the older kit, you have an attendant TLC cost to factor in!

A

Anonymous

Bought a NAD reciever 25 years ago and my brother is still using it - seems to work fine except display is a bit ropey!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
e.g. ATC recommends replacing the capacitors on the amps after 10 years.

I do not knwo if all capacitors age equally or is it just electrolitic ones and if some grades have longer life than others. so I think it depends on the amp - it may be better to replace the whole amp if it is a standard thingy or if it is an interesting one it may be worth to overhaul.

A

Anonymous

My amp, cdp and pre-amp are now 8 years old, never had or needed serviced, do you think they might have lost a bit of sparkle or can i get better for the same amount of money now with so called modern technology, oh by the way they still sound great to my ears. Thanks John

A

Anonymous

Unless the amplifier has been overheated for long periods the transistors, resistors and capacitors should have a life of at least 15 years, except maybe the electrolytic capacitors. See here for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor#Reliability_and_length_of_life

The main components that would need checking would be the large power supply electrolytics and any switches in the signal path.

I have a NAD amp that is still performing well at over 25 years old, though I have replaced some of the capacitors and cleaned (several times) some tarnished switches.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much to all of the replies. Very nice people.
emotion-46.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts