LG OLED TVs are less than half the weight they used to be

Is it the sets that are lighter, or is the packaging being reduced and slimmed down to minimise shipping costs? Or both, perhaps?

We bought a 2021 model earlier this year and I was surprised how skimpy the packaging was. But the screen is almost just sheet glass/plastic now. The days when there was decent ‘frame’ to grasp have long since gone.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Is it the sets that are lighter, or is the packaging being reduced and slimmed down to minimise shipping costs? Or both, perhaps?

We bought a 2021 model earlier this year and I was surprised how skimpy the packaging was. But the screen is almost just sheet glass/plastic now. The days when there was decent ‘frame’ to grasp have long since gone.
This 65C1 LG OLED weights 32.5kg with stand and no packaging see under product specs near the bottom of the page:

The new 65C2 LG OLED panel weighs 15.5kg with stand and no packaging. Stand and screen quite a bit lighter:

Reactions: nopiano

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I guess as screen sizes get bigger, the sets become harder to handle - so reducing weight should help. I'd guess that they also become more prone to breaking. Manhandling ours into place was awkward with two people.
I bet it was. Carrying my 75-inch QLED with another person is a nightmare!

I guess as screen sizes get bigger, the sets become harder to handle - so reducing weight should help. I'd guess that they also become more prone to breaking. Manhandling ours into place was awkward with two people.
Makes sense. Our 55”LG recommended two people to lift, but that’s more for stability than sheer mass I think. I managed 34Kg speakers on my own, but you can’t ‘walk’ a TV set across the floor I guess!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts