LG 50PK990

Howie666

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
:?

We have had the above mentioned TV for a couple of years now and it has been excellent. On visiting the LG website recently I noticed there was a new firmware upload for the TV. I proceeded to download it and followed the instructions to the letter to upload it to the TV. It didn't work. The file unzips fine to the USB stick, placed in the LG_DTV folder. I plug it into the USB port and the update window appears. I push the 'start' button and the message that it is copying the file from the stick appears. Then when the updating window appears it doesn't get past 0% before the words 'unknown error' appear and the up[date stalls. I've downloaded the update multiple times and used two different memory sticks (8 gig and 4 gig) and I get the same error every time.

The zipped file size of the update is reported as 128,144kb, unzipped it is reporting at 128,277kb. Could this be the cause of the problem? LG customer service have been quite helpful but even they seem to be stumped! Has anyone else had this problem, or could anyone point me to a possible solution please? I know the TV works fine as it is, I can't help but think that if this is an update it might improve things/add a feature or two etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

Howie666

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if some kind soul could put me out of my misery! Is this problem unique to me/my TV or has anyone else had trouble updating the firmware on their TVs?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Howie,

As the TV is a couple of years old, the only thing I can suggest is trying a 1gb or smaller USB stick - one of my older sony Blu-ray players refused to read anything over 1gb, but was happy with a 512mb one I had. Seem to remember it was something to do with maximum file size (probably a hangover from the days of fat32 file formats).

Let us know how you get on.

Rob

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Howie,

I've been dealing with LG support for this issue for weeks - they are completely useless. Each different support person I deal with contradicts the previous one!

The issue appears to be updating from V3 firmware to V5 in one go. There's a forum on another site which addresses this very issue. Apparently you need an intermediate firmware in order to go from V3 to V5, although LG support continually deny this. However, LG in Italy have acknowedged the issue and have uploaded an intermediate firmware which allows the upgrade to V5 via USB.

The only thing is, it would seem the UK 50PK990 doesn't recognise the Italian firmware as there's has a different model number (50PK980). However, aparently the firmware can be force-flashed to the UK model via the Expert Mode - to do this you insert the USB drive with the Italian intermediate (V4) firmware, press Menu and then highlight Options (but don't select it), then press the number 7 on the remote 7 times.

You can then follow the same method to install the V5 (UK) firmware.

I've yet to try this myself, but others on the other forum I mentioned have done it and not had any issues such as 'bricking' their sets!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts