LG 50PK990

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

jim, am i correct in saying that the pk350 differs to the pk590 only on functions? freeview hd, more hdmi ports, thx mode, etc? the picture quality and black levels being the same ? ta..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:jim, am i correct in saying that the pk350 differs to the pk590 only on functions? freeview hd, more hdmi ports, thx mode, etc? the picture quality and black levels being the same ? ta..

Yup, though styling is slightly different - 350 actually a little slimmer at the bottom of the frame, the black levels are supposed to actually be marginally better because of something to do with fixed edge enhancement on the 590/790/990... It's still not pure black but with right settings very respectable.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
maxflinn:jim, am i correct in saying that the pk350 differs to the pk590 only on functions? freeview hd, more hdmi ports, thx mode, etc? the picture quality and black levels being the same ? ta..

Yup, though styling is slightly different - 350 actually a little slimmer at the bottom of the frame, the black levels are supposed to actually be marginally better because of something to do with fixed edge enhancement on the 590/790/990... It's still not pure black but with right settings very respectable.
cheers jim
emotion-21.gif
, i cant find one around my area to demo, but ill get a look at one somewhere before i make a decision, just have to wait for my v20 refund now, hopefully..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:AEJim:

cheers jim
emotion-21.gif
, i cant find one around my area to demo, but ill get a look at one somewhere before i make a decision, just have to wait for my v20 refund now, hopefully..

Good luck! Just remember - the cheaper LG plasma's are highly reflective, be wary if you have windows/lighting behind your seating position! Don't want you to get another screen you're not happy with!
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:Good luck! Just remember - the cheaper LG plasma's are highly reflective, be wary if you have windows/lighting behind your seating position! Don't want you to get another screen you're not happy with!
emotion-1.gif

Doesn't the PK990 have some anti-reflection 'doo-dah fing'? (Not that it bothers me, cos my PK350 arrived today...
emotion-2.gif
)

A

Anonymous

cheers
emotion-21.gif
, the only window in the room is behind the tv, so should be alright, been reading a few reviews of the pk590, very good, and the user feedback from the various forums etc, is also very good, with many saying these lg's are on a par with the g20. if so im sure ill have a happy years viewing..
emotion-1.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:AEJim:Good luck! Just remember - the cheaper LG plasma's are highly reflective, be wary if you have windows/lighting behind your seating position! Don't want you to get another screen you're not happy with!
emotion-1.gif

Doesn't the PK990 have some anti-reflection 'doo-dah fing'? (Not that it bothers me, cos my PK350 arrived today...
emotion-2.gif
)

Yup, the "Tru Black Filter" - but I wouldn't call that one of the cheaper LG Plasma's!
emotion-2.gif

How's your 350 working out? Got it up n' running yet?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:...How's your 350 working out? Got it up n' running yet?
Not yet. Managed to haul it upstairs - 40kg boxed, yoiks! - but now needing many drams and lungs-full of Cutters (sic) Choice to recover.
emotion-8.gif

And at present I'm distracted by recent hifi additions: speakers and cable.
emotion-5.gif

Also a wee bit behind with work but I can justify listening to music while I 'toil at the keyboard', maybe...
emotion-10.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Max is it tomorrow you are going to hear something or was it today?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

tmw gel, not sure what will happen yet, ill keep you posted
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:tmw gel, not sure what will happen yet, ill keep you posted
emotion-21.gif

emotion-21.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:come on 6th im dying here
emotion-5.gif

OK, just for you. I'll set it up late-afternoon today...

Recently moved house, so in almost every room I'm currently chest-deep in seemingly ever-expanding piles of used bubble-wrap and empty cardboard packaging
emotion-7.gif

And somewhere in the mire is my BDP-320 and HDMIs, somewhere, umm, I hope...
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

ah take your time 6th, i didnt realise you were so snowed under, anytime over the weekend would be good, if you can find your way through all that bubblewrap
emotion-4.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Oh I also had a play with my screen last night - I like the image smooth and natural so had the settings as listed previously (easy on the eye). If you want real "pop" to the picture turn the contrast up to 85, brightness to 52, colour down to about 47 and tint to +4 green (this will probably vary from screen to screen but that is what worked with my picture wizard) - dynamic contrast turned to min rather than off also helps add zing and set gamma back to medium. If you get it calibrated properly be sure to get a couple of hundred hours on it first to settle the phosphors down.

I found with the picture settings cranked up a little like above that daylight scenes look stunning though darker ones were slightly less natural - i'll probably find a middle ground at some point. These settings gave a very nice black level though I thought on a film this morning (via Sky HD) that there was a slight "shimmer" to some motion, only saw it on one film though so might just be that...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ear:No headphone jack?

No, the 50pk990 has bluetooth built in so in theory you could use some compatible wireless headphones.

A

Anonymous

Hi I've just bought a LG 50PK990 from Currys. There is a protective screen glass on the front of the screen which is part of the screen and doesn't come off, I think there call this the Protective Screen Glass. However when you look at the screen you can see black lines going across the screen this is even more noticeable when the screen is turned off especially if the room is a light color (magnolia walls).

For a start I thought I had a bad screen, went back to Currys to compare and the LG Plasma TV's in the Infinia Range which have this Protective Screen Glass have the same problem however the LED TV's in the Infinia range which also have this Protective Screen Glass don't suffer from this problem. Because I know there are black lines I can see them all the time now, probably becasue I'm looking for them.

Has anyone else come across this problem, Apart from that it is lovely TV.

Regards Assad

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
assad:
Hi I've just bought a LG 50PK990 from Currys. There is a protective screen glass on the front of the screen which is part of the screen and doesn't come off, I think there call this the Protective Screen Glass. However when you look at the screen you can see black lines going across the screen this is even more noticeable when the screen is turned off especially if the room is a light color (magnolia walls).

For a start I thought I had a bad screen, went back to Currys to compare and the LG Plasma TV's in the Infinia Range which have this Protective Screen Glass have the same problem however the LED TV's in the Infinia range which also have this Protective Screen Glass don't suffer from this problem. Because I know there are black lines I can see them all the time now, probably becasue I'm looking for them.

Has anyone else come across this problem, Apart from that it is lovely TV.

Regards Assad

Sounds like it might be the "Black Comb Filter" on the 990 to cut down glare, not on the other models though so not sure what you're seeing - my 350 looks ok - all plasma's have visible lines across when turned off but this is just the pixel structure and you shouldn't see it when turned on from a few feet away... The screen turned on that is, not you
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

With the set off during the day i cas sometimes see wavy horizontal lines towards the top right quarter section of the screen but once the tv is on don't see any, never seen them at night either.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
stu31:With the set off during the day i cas sometimes see wavy horizontal lines towards the top right quarter section of the screen but once the tv is on don't see any, never seen them at night either.

Nice speakers BTW
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

LOL they were my first buy on the 5.1 av ladder 5/6 years ago, 18 month ago tried to buy 2 more to go to 7.1 discontinued couldn't find em anywhere on the net, popped to my local av shop as i had 15 mins to kill and guess what there they were on display attached to a wall for show never even been used !
Cost me £40 for the pair to get take em away can honestly say they get better and better with time !!

A

Anonymous

Another point regarding the Protective Screen Glass, on the box it shows it as a protective layer and you would think this is for transportation and is removeable but its not, its part of the screen. I think LG should make this a bit more clearer by putting something in the instructions to say not to peel off this Protective Screen Glass.

When the TV arrived I tried to peel it off, when I went to Currys even they weren't sure if it came off and they tried to peel it off their TV. I contacted LG and below is their responce and they are not too sure themselves.

13/09/2010
Thank you for contacting LG Electronics
Dear Assad
There is no protective layer applied to the screen as far as LG manufacture dictates unless this is added by the retailer which is very unlikely.
We would advise that you do remove any part of the screen.
Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
----------------------------------
LG Customer Services
UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received Date : 11/09/2010 01:00 13
The type of inquiry : Product Operation
Product/Model No. : Commercial_TV/50PK990
Dear sir or madam
I've just purchased a 50PK990, I've noticed there seems to be a layer of clear plastic on the screen, would this be the Protective Screen Glass and do you remove this layer.
Regards
Assad Padamsey

A

Anonymous

Ordered one yesterday and looking forward to seeing it in action. Just hoping I have none of the buzzing issues mentioned in various forum threads.

As for the 'Protective Glass Screen' mentioned above - it is nothing of the sort. This is the Infinia design and is one of the main reasons I went for this telly. It looked utterly stunning in the shop, even though I was looking at a 50PK790 (so same difference). It was at 799 GBP in Richer Sounds but I found the 50PK990 for the same price on Amazon.

TRENDING THREADS