LG 4K OLED TV review

AV forums have just published their review of LG 4K OLED TV. Another reference status.

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-55eg960v-eg9600-oled-uhd-4k-review.11301

Interesting bit in the review is this:

"Whilst there's no doubt that advances have been made in squeezing every last drop of performance from LCD, the reality is that OLED is the future of TV."

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
To be honest I think the HDTVtest review is more balanced. A lot of people are reporting banding problems.

Still the best Tv out there but thought Oled was suppose to eradicate the problems of LCD/LED.

HDTVtest gave it "best is class" status. This is what they say:

"At the end of the day, there’s no perfect display, and for most people the LG 55EG960V/ 55EG9600 will provide the best overall picture quality among TVs available to buy new on the market at this time of writing."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/55eg960v-201504224046.htm

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Native_bon said:
A lot of people are reporting banding problems.

Still the best Tv out there but thought Oled was suppose to eradicate the problems of LCD/LED.

My plasma has banding problems, LCD/LEDs do too, and now it seems OLEDs do.

I think the LG is undoubtedly an awesome tv, and the best available currently, but I'm hopeful that in time any problems will be ironed out, and the prices will fall. My only fear is that with a reduction in price, we'll get a reduction in quality.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have seen the LG pictures in real life and they do look amazing. Still, it's a lot of money. Looking to get one but not in a rush. Waiting to see what others can offer later in the year.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
OLED has problems of its own which needs to be overcome.
Mine doesn't have any problems.
Oh well there you go. It surprises me how we got tint on the 930V with no banding. Then comes the EG960V with no tint but now has banding. I dnt know how the tech works, but is it not possible to produce without banding & tint? In order words if the 930V had no banding why not the same for the 960V? Or is it a fact that its a hard act to eradicate both..?

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Oh well there you go. It surprises me how we got tint on the 930V with no banding. Then comes the EG960V with no tint but now has banding. I dnt know how the tech works, but is it not possible to produce without banding & tint? In order words if the 930V had no banding why not the same for the 960V? Or is it a fact that its a hard act to eradicate both..?
I don't know how it works too, but I definitely saw the tint problems but only on Freeview. They have still got that TV in John Lewis and it looks good on the memory sticks and LG demo material. I didn't think 4K was that special but banding on a £4000 TV is a joke, I agree with BB they are cutting costs too much. Likely mine was £8000 when it came out and I haven't had any problems as yet.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

We still to don't know the lifespan of these displays. Only time will tell. Typically, problems start showing up after 18 months - 2 years of use.
Cheers. I will have to keep an good eye on mine. I would probably go for a cheap model if something happened to it. Or the cheap OLED coming out.

Very difficult to not fall for the EH960v.The zenith of TV have arrived and at mega bucks.Those who are in reception of this TV would be overwhelmed......
No reviewer so far will commit in saying if this Oled is 'better than LEDs' but What hi fi seem to have captured the moment in time when they said... if this(Oled) is a signpost to the future of TV...then it will be spectacular.
My heart warms to these words.
Even if you watch one hour of TV a week, it is still worth buying the Oled TV to grace your lounge.Scillilating floating design with the white back.Immense engineering feat and the millions poured in R and D and production.

'Magnus opus' LG Display.

D

Deleted member 2457

hybridauth_Facebook_100000090351445 said:
Very difficult to not fall for the EH960v.The zenith of TV have arrived and at mega bucks.Those who are in reception of this TV would be overwhelmed...... No reviewer so far will commit in saying if this Oled is 'better than LEDs' but What hi fi seem to have captured the moment in time when they said... if this(Oled) is a signpost to the future of TV...then it will be spectacular. My heart warms to these words. Even if you watch one hour of TV a week, it is still worth buying the Oled TV to grace your lounge.Scillilating floating design with the white back.Immense engineering feat and the millions poured in R and D and production.

What TV do you have mate?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Very difficult to not fall for the EH960v.The zenith of TV have arrived and at mega bucks.Those who are in reception of this TV would be overwhelmed...... No reviewer so far will commit in saying if this Oled is 'better than LEDs' but What hi fi seem to have captured the moment in time when they said... if this(Oled) is a signpost to the future of TV...then it will be spectacular. My heart warms to these words. Even if you watch one hour of TV a week, it is still worth buying the Oled TV to grace your lounge.Scillilating floating design with the white back.Immense engineering feat and the millions poured in R and D and production.

i think you need to get self over to avforums and hdtv test and you'll see the reviewers on there, Steve withers and Vincent teoh(who calibrated my VT) clearly have reviewed the lg OLED.

I also went to the ultimate shootout in Leeds last year and the ZT plasma came first with the lg OLED not far behind. The 4k LCD TVs were no match for these TVs.

Series1boy said:

i think you need to get self over to avforums and hdtv test and you'll see the reviewers on there, Steve withers and Vincent teoh(who calibrated my VT) clearly have reviewed the lg OLED.?

I also went to the ultimate shootout in Leeds last year and the ZT plasma came first with the lg OLED not far behind. The 4k LCD TVs were no match for these TVs.
You are talking history lesson.Past and gone.
You want to head over to those review sites you cited and read on the JS9500 and clearly that LED in 4k would be the choice from those reviewers over the the PDP ZX plasma. I even think Vincent Toeh from hd TV test would chose the Panasonic LED AX 902 over the ZX PDP.
You need to embrace Oled as it is the 'future'.You are in the past.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
OLED will be my next TV, but not yet because this technology is still in its infancy.

No the 902 is no where near the the ZT, VT and kuro in picture quality. Ive seen them all with my own eyes and so have lots of people on this forum. LCD is no match for the top end plasmas; they simply don't have the black levels and that's what's important to me at the moment. Even when displaying Netflix 4k, 1080p/24 is much better at this point in time.

so , yes OLED will be the next step for me but not yet and I'm not living in the past it's not ready yet because there are no HDR versions out as yet. No point in buying something when it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and then, where will the 4k content come from to match this super new kit.

if my TV was broken, then I would obviously purchase an OLED but no LCD for me..

D

Deleted member 2457

I hope my OLED lasts years, if it does I have done very well for the money and image quality and even sound too. Having owned all the best plasmas apart from the ZT60 and Kuro 500a I clearly rate OLED as the best and a worthy upgrade. Most if not all on AVForums feel the same too. The calibrators on there say OLED is the best and Steve Withers over his Pioneer 5090. There is no doubt plasmas are still great TV and it makes sense to still have one. If I still had my plasma it would take a very special deal to tempt me still. I would never pay £4000 on a OLED but at around £1800 it's a great upgrade. Anything more it's not worth it over plasma.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Gel, I think you owned VT65 and not ZT60, and Pioneer LX5090 and not KRP 500A.
Yep, I said apart from the 500a and the ZT60. *wink*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts