Let the right one in!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Wow what great film! i was mesmerised the whole way through! Original story,scares,very touching,superb cinematography. just one of the best films ive seen in years!

Right now of to buy the book........................................

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Mmmmmm........ I dunno, it was quite slow. I enjoyed the story though. Yes it was quite powerful in places, but didn't blow me away.

We didn't even realise it was set in the 70s/early 80s until about halfway through, until someone mentioned Brezhnev. (not sure of the exact era of Brezhnev, so cut me some slack with the timeline.)

;-)

But hey. I really enjoyed 'Knowing', so what do I know?

:)

A

Anonymous

Really liked this film and well worth a watch.Shame Hollywood are in the process of butchering it! It is set in 1982.

John Duncan

Sorry, forgot...

There Will Be Blood

I was brought up on horror films. I'd always try and stay up late on a Friday night to watch old black and white frighteners like Village of the Damned and The Birds and suchlike. Then as I grew up my mate David was the first person I knew to have a video recorder, and we'd get his mum to rent us films we weren't supposed to watch like Phantasm and [/i]The Evil Dead[/i]. Groovy.

Bearing all that in mind, I approached this month's film with a degree of relish. Tomas Alfredson's Let The Right One In, however, is nothing like any of those films from my youth. Adapted by John Adjvide Lindqvist from his own book and set in Sweden at the end of the Cold War, it introduces twelve-year-old Oskar, an outsider who's put upon by thugs at school and spends his time with his nose in a book learning Morse code and forensic science. Things change though when he gets new neighbours - Eli, a girl his age, and a man she says is her father. She's a *** fish - first time Oskar meets her she's standing atop an eight foot climbing frame from which she alights with an athlete's grace, and proceeds to zip through his Rubik's Cube like a dervish. Not as *** as her dad though - first time we see him he's abducting a teenager, hanging them from a tree, slitting him like a pig and draining his blood into the handy jug he carries around in his toolkit.

So far, so Hannah Nosferatu. This being no ordinary horror film, however, the plot centres not so much around the new arrivals' exsanguinating shenanigans and more on Oskar and Eli's burgeoning friendship. It's a braver young lad than I who can ask the same girl "Are you a vampire?" and "Do you want to go steady?", but ask he does. The answer to both, of course, is "Yes". This might all sound a bit Buffy and Angel, but nothing could be further from the truth. First of all, this is a work that looks astonishing. The cinematography feels like that of a landscape artist - ultrawide angles, no camera movement, broadly colourless, with the odd splash of red (obviously). The director pieces together a number of almost static tableaux, with sparse dialogue, like Waiting For Godot with an undercurrent of bloodlust. Even the scenes that you do expect from your average vampire movie are treated as incidental, over there, out of the corner of the director's eye.

A film to defy your expectations, Let The Right One In is not only the best horror film that I've seen in ages, it's the best film full stop. The penultimate scene in particular, when the bullies get their comeuppance, will take your breath away and have you rewinding the DVD to check what you just saw. You know precisely what's going to happen, but it's the how that marks Alfredson out as a very special talent. Watch it now before Hollywood gets hold if it.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm actually not that cynical about the remake. Partly as i believe the book is set in the US (must admit that im just assuming the remake will be too), and i think the setting has a huge effect on the overall atmosphere of a film, so im interested to see the effect the change has.

Im also just generally interested to see how reeves handles it, as there was a lot in the book that wasnt in the original film, and he has said he's going to go back to adapt the book afresh, tho he does like the film.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Check out the "raging" debate over subtle changes in the sub-titles with various releases - quite interesting how indepth people go!

I watched here in London (Barbican Theatre) and enjoyed the film. Not one I'd watch again and again, but still worth my £7.50.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts