Less smart TV?

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
:? Day off - Just sat in front of my system pondering the relative merits of smart TV.

In my household 3d lost its novelty value immediately. The Samsung apps and networking arrangements never get close to having a computer attached to my system. The only TV tuner I need is in my Sky box.

I'm thinking my next TV will be a good "dumb" display if they make such a thing. Any thoughts or good examples out there in the community?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'Dumb' displays or monitors tend only to be made for industrial and commercial requirements and are therefore very expensive. A lot of them are used in open, or semi-open areas, and are therefore more rugged and have to operate at wider temperature extremes. Some are made as professional monitors (also requiring no tuners or apps) and are extremely high quality and also very expensive.

Just get the most basic domestic TV.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I remember in the old days of the CRT TV and monitors. I was once given a studio calibrated 'Barco' monitor (Not to be confused with Beko rubbish). It was just a plain monitor with a plethora of aftermarket BNC input and output sockets on the back and no audio. When coupled to a good source it produced amazing results for many years before the tube finally died. I too have pondered the wisdom of all the bells and whistles we HAVE to buy whether we want them or not. Then the question arises as to how much cheaper the new sets might be if bought just as plain monitors without tuners, just a good number of HDMI inputs? I never ever use the audio on my Panasonic Plasma.

iMark

I agree with you on most counts. Netflix however works OK on our Sony smart TV. Unfortunately it is a bit of hit and miss with apps for the Sony, so I suppose we are lucky that Netflix is available.

We also have a few 3D movies and glasses. I think we have used them about 5 times. What a waste the introduction of 3D has been.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to use a TV's smart features. We're not charged a premium for this extra functionality. Rather, manufacturers feel they have to include 3D and smart capabilities to keep pace with rivals.

Any TV that produces a half decent picture will be 3D ready and smart. If you're not interested in these add-ons, it makes sense to focus only on which TV produces the best picture for your budget. Dismissing TVs because they're smart and/or 3D ready greatly limits your options.

Sun_Shang_Xiang

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Plasma Monitors are still used for the custom install home cinema market Panasonic VX300, VX200, BT300 PF50 and PF30 series are offerred by some custom installers as part of an (expensive) overall plan. Although you can buy these panels yourself (in the case of the PF30 PF 50 and bt300 you can get these without their 3d emitters)The only LCD monitors I know which were used in the custom install market were JVCs many moons ago as LCD monitors used in public displays tend to be too bright for the home enveronment.

Plasma Pro-monitors black levels aren't as good as todays plasmas but still have some advantages. They are better built (and usually more expensive), more resistant to IR (they better be as some are used in 24/7 environents) and are often better for gaming due to faster response time.They also work really well external scaler's like the Lumagen Radiance as commercial panel's processing often interferes with an external scaler .The VX and BT series also have a facilty called Scaler Bypass or ,monitor mode which reduces all processing to a minimum which will optimise an exteranl scaler.

I went from a pro-calibrated Pioneer LX 5090 used with a lumagen Radiance for 2 years before switching to a pro- calibrated Panasonic Th-50vx100 with lumagen radiance. The Pioneer was universally given better review ratings than the Panasonic but I preferred the Panny, I suspect that the Kuro's processing was interferring with that of the lumagens.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting points there folks. I checked out the site Chebby posted - so much for my "Simpler must be cheaper" thinking! I also couldn't find any v. large (60"+) "simpler" smart TVs. Good debate, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts