Lengthening speaker cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings ~ I have speaker wire embedded in my walls and I need to lenghten it
emotion-12.gif

Any ideas on a good way of joining wires?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Best way would be to push some heat-shrink sleeving along the cable somewhere, solder the two together, and then put the heat-shrink over the join, and shrink using a hairdryer. The heat-shrink will then act as an insulator. I think Maplin do the stuff...

Depending on what guage your cable is, you might need a hefty soldering gun, rather than an iron intended for electronics use...

A

Anonymous

You can alsoget some specific banana type plugs that do the job. You connect your cable to a plug, the extra bit to another plug, unscrew part of one plu and it makes a socket so you can join the two together. There is a name for tham but I can't remember what it is.

A

Anonymous

Whats wrong with good old chocolate blocks. The best way to fit them is to twist the 2 pieces of cable together and then put them in the same end of the block, you then have 2 screws holding both pieces of cable in place.. Just get the appropriate size to match the cable. Maybe not thet pretty but easy enought to hide.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys ~ I see that I have a few options.

I am currently using chocolate blocks but didn't think of twisting the wire together first and then screwing them in.

I'll have a pop at that and see if it makes any difference.

A

Anonymous

best use of block. get the wires under both screws aswell. it can be a bit more tidy to feed a wire in each end, but see that they pass each other and get both screws down on them. not to tight with the screws to, its an electrical connector, not a wire cutter :)

maplin will sell them in gold for car audio. Only cost a leg lol

TRENDING THREADS