hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
good evening all,
Good to have the forum back. i came back here after almost five years, hopefully all the usual suspects are still here.

it has been 5 years since i got the Tucana ii and i am glad to report it is still just as bit as exciting as it was then.

Now, i am getting drawn into Luxman 505, if not for anything else, but for the VU meters. with this current situation a side by side comparison would not be possible with the Tucana and if i get this wrong it will be a very very expensive error.

Has anyone on here got experience with the aforementioned amps or if you have a Luxman amp, would you please tell me about the characteristics of the amp and the speakers you are using.

Many thanks

Some but not all of the usual suspects have returned.
I have been seriously looking at a Luxman amp but wouldn't contemplate buying one just because it has VU meters which tell you very little...... :)
Have never had the privilege of hearing the Tucana so cannot really answer you question, I would say though, stick with what you have until the time comes that you can get to audition in your set-up.
Will none of the dealers allow a home demo?
What speakers will you have it driving?

Reactions: matthewpiano

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi All ears,

fair point.
I have got BW cm6 speakers.
I spoke to a gentleman from fanthorpe hifi and he said an entry level Luxam will not be much of an improvement from the Tucana and if I wanted to see or hear, for that matter, I have to go for their mid range which retails at around £6k.
Now £6k is a lot of money!!

Lets see if we have any luxman owner here.

good evening all,
Good to have the forum back. i came back here after almost five years, hopefully all the usual suspects are still here.

it has been 5 years since i got the Tucana ii and i am glad to report it is still just as bit as exciting as it was then.

Now, i am getting drawn into Luxman 505, if not for anything else, but for the VU meters. with this current situation a side by side comparison would not be possible with the Tucana and if i get this wrong it will be a very very expensive error.

Has anyone on here got experience with the aforementioned amps or if you have a Luxman amp, would you please tell me about the characteristics of the amp and the speakers you are using.

Many thanks

Haven't heard the Luxman for years, so can't comment.

Having owned the Tucana MKII I think I would look at different speakers. As good as the B&Ws are IME they're not the best match for any Leema.

Brands that match well are as follows: Monitor Audio Platinum range, PMC, Spendor and Dynaudio Contour.

Last time I heard a Luxman was over 10 years ago and they were powering Wilson Benesch Discovery standmounts IIRC. It was impressive but how it compares directly with the Tucana, I couldn't say

rainsoothe

Haven't heard the Luxman for years, so can't comment.

Having owned the Tucana MKII I think I would look at different speakers. As good as the B&Ws are IME they're not the best match for any Leema.

Brands that match well are as follows: Monitor Audio Platinum range, PMC, Spendor and Dynaudio Contour.

Last time I heard a Luxman was over 10 years ago and they were powering Wilson Benesch Discovery standmounts IIRC. It was impressive but how it compares directly with the Tucana, I couldn't say
In case you're thinking the B&W have the usual B&W slight edginess, you might be wrong in this case, since the first gen CM series was pretty roled off and forgiving - a pretty warm listen. Which actually would make them a pretty bad match for Luxman.

In case you're thinking the B&W have the usual B&W slight edginess, you might be wrong in this case, since the first gen CM series was pretty roled off and forgiving - a pretty warm listen. Which actually would make them a pretty bad match for Luxman.
With the right amplification B&W are fine. Personally they didn't sit comfortably with the Pulse when I heard the 805S years ago at the dealers. I just think the Tucana isn't being used to its full potential, and if the OP is prepared to spend up to 6k speakers would be my first hunch.

matthewpiano

If you are intent on exploring a change of amplifier from Leema to Luxman, then you really do need to bide your time until you can audition with your speakers and in a side by side situation, preferably at home. £6k is more than I would/could spend on an entire system and it's no drop in the ocean.

I can't comment on the difference between those two models of amplifier as I don't have enough experience of them, but I have heard enough of both brands to know that they are extremely capable.

I would agree with @plastic penguin that your CM6s won't be getting the best out of your amplifier. The CM range was OK but not really up to fully elucidating the differences in amplification (or source) at the level you are talking. Again, patience will repay you, as you could combine auditioning a Luxman against your Leema, with a comparison between your B&Ws and some alternative speakers.

If you are intent on exploring a change of amplifier from Leema to Luxman, then you really do need to bide your time until you can audition with your speakers and in a side by side situation, preferably at home. £6k is more than I would/could spend on an entire system and it's no drop in the ocean.

I can't comment on the difference between those two models of amplifier as I don't have enough experience of them, but I have heard enough of both brands to know that they are extremely capable.

I would agree with @plastic penguin that your CM6s won't be getting the best out of your amplifier. The CM range was OK but not really up to fully elucidating the differences in amplification (or source) at the level you are talking. Again, patience will repay you, as you could combine auditioning a Luxman against your Leema, with a comparison between your B&Ws and some alternative speakers.
That's one of the reasons why I sold the Tucana. Source and speakers just wasn't to the standard of the Leema. Of course, I couldn't afford 2k+ on every component.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
With the right amplification B&W are fine. Personally they didn't sit comfortably with the Pulse when I heard the 805S years ago at the dealers. I just think the Tucana isn't being used to its full potential, and if the OP is prepared to spend up to 6k speakers would be my first hunch.

when i had listen to the MA speakers with my MF amp i found them a little too bright TBH.
Indian music in general tend to be on the brighter side and with bright sounding speakers it can be little overwhelming.

I am too used to the BWs I don’t think i will change brands on speakers 🔊 I may get better models.

during the lockdown I managed to get a pair of DM 601 s2 for my second system. When i hooked them up with the marantz oh! The joy!
Took me back to my teenage, my first ever hifi speakers were dm601 s1. They were just amazing!!

when i had listen to the MA speakers with my MF amp i found them a little too bright TBH.
Indian music in general tend to be on the brighter side and with bright sounding speakers it can be little overwhelming.

I am too used to the BWs I don’t think i will change brands on speakers 🔊 I may get better models.

during the lockdown I managed to get a pair of DM 601 s2 for my second system. When i hooked them up with the marantz oh! The joy!
Took me back to my teenage, my first ever hifi speakers were dm601 s1. They were just amazing!!

Which MA speakers were they and what MF amp? I listen to Bhangra music on BBC radio and never found any brightness issues, although now they have been relegated to back up speakers.

What's your room acoustics like? Is it reflective with hard flooring or do you have soft furnishings, carpets etc etc.

I've heard both my Leemas in very different environments with the MAs (RS6s) at most volumes and I can't say they are bright. I've had the RS6s since 2005 and the Leema Pulse since 2010, and the combo is lively but not bright IMO.

That said, some people have very sensitive hearing or just like a very warm presentation.

The Luxman, from what I've read from owners, doesn't have the PRaT of the Tucana, and given the Luxman has a Class A amplification, that's fairly understandable, but is perhaps more emotional... that's just a guess.

Hi-fi is not an exact science, so yes a demo of the two is a must.

Oldfart

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Also back here after many years. Hi PP, luxman class A have yellow VU meters, ClassA/B 505/7/9 pale blue or white.
Hi OP,
I have never heard Leema, but like you dealers advised the 507 as a significant upgrade for my Marantz. Bought unheard during lockdown 1, it was an expensive punt and I didn’t know quite what to expect. Fortunately, money well spent. It is superb. I am about to move up the DALI chain , again unheard and can only hope for a similar uplift. If you invest in a Luxman, beware, you will be hankering for a speaker upgrade. It’s an expensive hobby, but the holiday/ restaurant/entertainment budget is largely unused in these miserable times and music brings much needed joy.

Last edited:
Also back here after many years. Hi PP, luxman class A have yellow VU meters, ClassA/B 505/7/9 pale blue or white.
Hi OP,
I have never heard Leema, but like you dealers advised the 507 as a significant upgrade for my Marantz. Bought unheard during lockdown 1, it was an expensive punt and I didn’t know quite what to expect. Fortunately, money well spent. It is superb. I am about to move up the DALI chain , again unheard and can only hope for a similar uplift. If you invest in a Luxman, beware, you will be hankering for a speaker upgrade. It’s an expensive hobby, but the holiday/ restaurant/entertainment budget is largely unused in these miserable times and music brings much needed joy.
Good to see you back and a very good point in Luxman investment.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Which MA speakers were they and what MF amp? I listen to Bhangra music on BBC radio and never found any brightness issues, although now they have been relegated to back up speakers.

What's your room acoustics like? Is it reflective with hard flooring or do you have soft furnishings, carpets etc etc.

I've heard both my Leemas in very different environments with the MAs (RS6s) at most volumes and I can't say they are bright. I've had the RS6s since 2005 and the Leema Pulse since 2010, and the combo is lively but not bright IMO.

That said, some people have very sensitive hearing or just like a very warm presentation.

The Luxman, from what I've read from owners, doesn't have the PRaT of the Tucana, and given the Luxman has a Class A amplification, that's fairly understandable, but is perhaps more emotional... that's just a guess.

Hi-fi is not an exact science, so yes a demo of the two is a must.

Hi PP,
Gosh! That was a long time ago when i auditioned the MA. My amp was the entry level MF E10 and the speakers, as far as i can recall, I went to audition CM5s and David from hifix in coventry recommended i listen to the MAs so they must have been at the same price point as the cms.
Needless to say I ended up buying the CM5s.

Slightly off topic.

I am thinking of getting an used, fairly basic, turntable to add to my system. Tucana doesn’t have a phono input. Can i just connect the turntable to the auxiliary input?

many thanks
With apologies to the OP I will answer.
You can if the turntable has a built-in phono preamp.
However, these are usually to add functionality and are not often the best quality. If you want that it is better to invest in an external phono preamp. This gives you more turntable choice as well.
However, I would counter with a question.
Unless you have a good collection of LP s why would you want a turntable?

Hi PP,
Gosh! That was a long time ago when i auditioned the MA. My amp was the entry level MF E10 and the speakers, as far as i can recall, I went to audition CM5s and David from hifix in coventry recommended i listen to the MAs so they must have been at the same price point as the cms.
Needless to say I ended up buying the CM5s.
I wouldn't too hung up on what brand of speaker at this point. But I know the Tucana is capable of a lot more than your hearing at the moment.

As the Luxman produces a different presentation, there are two ways of approaching this: Either look at the Luxman as it should be fine with B&Ws or look at other speakers, and you can manipulate the presentation of the Leema. So if you're looking a slightly smoother presentation Dynaudio or Harbeth should fit that bill nicely. Don't overlook Leema's own speakers with the compact floorstander Xones. And in the same bracket, I've demoed a couple of times, is Totem speakers. Each brand will have it's own interpretation on the recorded playback.

Reactions: Al ears

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
Having spoken to few dealers and the opinions expressed here it seems that tucana ii is a very capable amp and an entry level Luxman at £4k won’t be an improvement and one dealer in particular said even a mid range luxman amp at £6k won’t be much of an improvement (except aesthetically) in terms of quality. He said the presentation would certainly be different.
so i have decided to hang on to the tucana ii for foreseeable future.
I understand tucana has a lot more to offer and cm6s probably aren’t doing fully justice to the amp so an upgrade of the speakers seems a sensible thing to do.

so here are my choice of speakers approved by my wife:
Top of the list is 805 d
Kef ref1
PMC twenty22
OFocal of similar range.
All preowned.

lets see.
whatdo you guys suggest?

Hi all,
Having spoken to few dealers and the opinions expressed here it seems that tucana ii is a very capable amp and an entry level Luxman at £4k won’t be an improvement and one dealer in particular said even a mid range luxman amp at £6k won’t be much of an improvement (except aesthetically) in terms of quality. He said the presentation would certainly be different.
so i have decided to hang on to the tucana ii for foreseeable future.
I understand tucana has a lot more to offer and cm6s probably aren’t doing fully justice to the amp so an upgrade of the speakers seems a sensible thing to do.

so here are my choice of speakers approved by my wife:
Top of the list is 805 d
Kef ref1
PMC twenty22
OFocal of similar range.
All preowned.

lets see.
whatdo you guys suggest?
Can you get to listen to any of them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts